LT Radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 10:03 am Thread Starter

LT Radio

I have an 04 K1200 LT. Anyone had problems with loosing one (L / R) channel of the radio. Thinking about taking off the tupperware and investigating to see if I can find anything. I don't know where to start. I have a klimer manual but still am uncertain if I should tear into it. Anyone else have any dealing with loosing front and rear L channel?

Thanks, Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 10:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: LT Radio

I had the problem and some distortion, too. Hitting the stingray on the roundel with the side of your fist could help in the short term and a quick, but not final fix. Getting under the stingray and finding the speaker wires to push them firmly into the connector pins and using di-electric grease should resolve the issue. Of course YMMV if the initial short term fix doesn't work. It may be a larger problem then connectivity.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 10:52 am

Do a search this is a common problem and usually involves the connection on the back side of the radio in the stingray. The problem is usually there and has to do with corrosion on the main connection, if not there then one of the many other connections. Dielectric grease is your friend.
On mine I had to work on it a while and grease most of the connections twice over a month but it's been working great for the last year now.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2010, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Jerry,
thanks for the insight....plan A, the fist: not successful. Plan B, took alll the connections apart and greased, as suggested. appears to be the BIG problem. any suggestions on where to have the radio checked? what is ymmv?
thanks, Anthony
post #5 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2010, 3:03 pm

i have the same problem. any help would be appreciated. tks Mike

1980 KZ1000LTD (stolen)
1982 KZ1000LTD (sold)
1987 YAMAHA VENTURE ROYALE (sold)
2003 K1200LTC in Black (current)
post #6 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2010, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

John,
thanks for the reply. On the back side of the radio is a cover that shows a screwdriver lifting it. beneathe that cover is a 10amp fuse. the cover lifts slightly then stops. how do i remove the fuse cover completely and check the fuse and the connections underneath the cover?
Thanks, Anthony
post #7 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2010, 8:12 pm

I rode 600 miles in 10 hours today, from New Hampshire to Herndon, VA, the new Jensen worked great the whole way, didn't cut out once! And all speakers worked the entire time.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #8 of 11 Old May 17th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Can't offer solution but I am having same problem. Switched rear speakers to confirm it is the left channel. I have cleaned connections over this weekend three or four times. I used the dielectric grease when re-connecting the wires. Just put it back together today. I will report in the next few weeks if the left speakers come to life as this "fix" did not work. Good luck to you.
post #9 of 11 Old May 18th, 2010, 11:13 am

My '05 LT had the same problem. The only speaker that would work was the left front. BMW determined the radio was bad. It is currently being replaced at Western Oregon BMW in Eugene OR under the extended warranty. Glad it quit when it did, the warranty expires on 7/10/10.
Mo
post #10 of 11 Old May 20th, 2010, 7:37 am

My 2005 LT left side speakers just quit today also. Front and back. I guess I will try what the rest of you have been trying as far as greasing the connections. Never had the stingray off, so it is about time I took a look under there anyways. Anyone know what color wires I should be checking?

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
post #11 of 11 Old May 20th, 2010, 7:38 pm

I have a little different problem and was wondering if anyone has run into this. I removed my 6-disc changer to get some extra space. The first time I turned on the radio it worked fine. After shutting off the key switch and back on nothing is working. The radio display just lights up but you hear nothing. The CB will not come on either. Tried plugging the 6-disc back in and it made no change.
Thanks Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in