Communications System Help? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Communications System Help?

I have a Nokia phone and the headset for the phone is a 2.5mm plug in the 4 conductor (TRRS) format. However, the cable I was given by another K1200LT rider to connect to the comm system is a 2.5mm plug in the 3 conductor (TRS) format. He claims it works great for his phone. Not sure if it was a Nokia or not. My question is this: Does the comm system female cell phone jack need a TRS or TRRS plug in order for the cell phone to work on the system. Also, does anyone have any instructions for connecting the cell phone? I know that sounds like stupid question but I thought I could just put he intercom volume to 50% and be able to use the phone. Of course the phone is set to auto answer. I can hear a caller but they can not hear me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first BMW motorcycle (4th motorcycle in 17 years) and I am still getting use to it as I have only had it for about 2 weeks. The local BMW dealer in Raleigh, NC suggested I try this forum for any questions and assistance.

Thanks,
Eric
2003 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Garage
Re: Communications System Help?

Nice to see the dealers or "stealers" know where to get advise. One would wonder if they have their tech's learn this way, but thats a whole other story. First you are going to have to tell us what comsystem you have. I will assume you have the BC3. Two radial dials, two female 2.5/3.5 connections and a switch FRS/CB.

Your phone uses a 4 pole connector because it puts out stereo sound (music L&R). to get the connections correct you will just use three as that is how the BC3 is wired. It will involve cutting and splicing a harness (TRRS)to a 3 pole 2.5 connector found at just about every electronic store. I do not have my schematic that I used for my cable (choose not to use it) but its pretty straight forward. Before you solder everything just test it. It would be helpfully to contact the manufacture to see if they will give you the what is what, i.e. tip is speaker, middle-microphone base- ground. But not needed, you will however need a sacrificial cord. Go get a cheap earphone/mic set and test what is what, after you do that it will make since when you solder...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 7:28 am Thread Starter

shoswell,

I don't know what comm system I have to be honest. It is as you described with a push button that is labeled HS/EXT also. I have tried about 6 different pinouts but have not been successful yet. I believe my problem might be that I assumed the R/L was stereo and not mono. Therefore I have been using:

Tip - Left Audio
Ring - Right Audio
Sleeve - MIC

However, that is an ungrounded configuration. I will try to put the MIC on the Ring and see if that works.

Thanks for the feedback. If you find your pinout please pass it along.

v/r
Eric
2003 K1200LT

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 11:37 am

Hi

Nokia uses different headset connector than other manufacturers. And Nokia has two different 2.5 mm four conductor plugs. What model you have?
Pin configuration on Nokia smart phones is: (these phones have stereo headset)
Tip - Left speaker
Ring- Right speaker
Ring- Mic
Sleeve- ground

Older Nokia phones used this configuration:
Tip- speaker +
Ring- Mic +
Ring- speaker -
Sleeve- Mic -
These phones had only mono headset.

Esko
2000 K1200LTC
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Communications System Help?

Thanks for the information guys. I was using my Nokia to debug my cable I created for my iPhone. Finally after many hours of trying I now have iPhone capabilities in my helmet via the communications system with a waterproof push button to control the answering and disconnecting of callers as well as play/pause/next song/prevous song, etc. I thought I would never get it working.

I have seen some products out there that just didn't quite put all the functionality together for the iPhone as if you were using the Apple standard headphones with the Microphone/button on a motorcycle. Of course, I may have just re-invented the wheel if there is one... LOL - Either way it was a great exercise.

Effectively what I have working now is the iPhone plays my music and provides the cell phone functionality through the cell phone 2.5mm jack. I am new to BMW motorcycles and I am still trying to learn the nuances of the communications system. I believe the cell phone input is a level 3 input but don't have my manual with me at the moment. That being said, if I am listening to music via the cell phone interface, I don't believe I will receive any CB/Intercom traffic due to them being at a lower precedence as in level 1 or level 2. Can anyone confirm that last statement? If that is correct, I will have to add in a auto-sensing circuit and connect the audio from the iPhone to the 3.5mm connector for the external audio source (MP3) and only patch the phone call audio and MIC over to the cell phone 2.5mm interface when a call is active. That way the level of precedence will not be broken by pumping the MP3 audio into the cell phone connector (2.5mm) thus keeping me from receiving the inbound CB/Intercom traffic when listening to my MP3 based music.

I am not able to get anyone to answer me on the CB yet. Any guidance on the Midland CB would be very welcome!!!

Thus far I have cell phone, radio/CD, and GPS working. Next stop, the CB and then on to a radar detector audio feed.

Thanks again everyone!

v/r

Eric
New K1200LT Owner (still learning about this bike)
Cary, NC
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Garage

PM me your email address I have most of the manuals on pdf...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 7:36 pm

If you need a cable. ANY type of cable. ANY type of cable OF ANY KIND including gender benders, adapters etc. check these folks out. http://www.pchcables.com/ I'm really lucky in that I live 30 miles from this place but my wife works 300 yards from their front door. I get great delivery service!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
If you need a cable. ANY type of cable. ANY type of cable OF ANY KIND including gender benders, adapters etc. check these folks out. http://www.pchcables.com/ I'm really lucky in that I live 30 miles from this place but my wife works 300 yards from their front door. I get great delivery service!

Loren
Loren, next time you get in there, see if they have right angle PS2 connectors. I have been looking for a solderable connector like this to make the harnesses for the BC3. I figured out the pin outs and have it working but the OEM has a right angle to the connection. It would save allot of room in the oddments box..

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in