Should I buy an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Should I buy an LT

I need some guidance, I currently have a 2005 Honda VTX and want a bike with more touring capabiltiy. I drive 100 miles a day to work and back and want to be able to ride in colder weather and take the wife out for longer rides.

I found a 2005 LT at the local dealer with 26,000 miles on it. It is in great shape cosmetically and I am planning a trip this weekend to take it for a test ride. Is that too many miles to buy a used bike? Should I keep looking for one with lower miles?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Warriorwagner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Re: Should I buy an LT

26K? She's just getting broken in. Make your best deal and don't look back - you'll be happy you did.

There are people all over this forum with 200K+ miles. 26K would be a year's worth.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 1:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That one is just broken in good now. You should be able to get at least another 100 to 200,000 miles out of her.

Any thing lower mileage at that age would be suspect. I have 55K on my 05.

Oh and I just got back from a 2,466 mile trip over four days to Vermont from North Alabama, very comfortable ride.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Go for it and enjoy the up-grade..........Been on my '03 for three years and still can't get the grin off my face whenever I throw a leg over the saddle...............Full face helmets are a must so folks don't think I'm 'touched'..........if you catch my drift..........enjoy.............
post #5 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 1:40 pm

My '05 is a great bike, for me it's the best touring bike I have owned.
BUT......it's very different from your Honda.
The only way you will know if it's a 'fit' for you and your riding style is by, well........riding it.
I wouldn't be all that concerned about the miles, mine is currently sitting at around 30K, and it still feels tight and new. Everything still works as it should and I have 100% confidence in it.
So take it for a ride......be patient with yourself and take the time to get a feel for it....and try to negotiate a good deal on it.
If you DO buy it.....you will find this forum to be one of the best benefits of the ownership experience. No matter what happens, from racking up tons of miles without a single problem to any catastrophic failure you can think of....someone here has been through it and will be here to lend you a hand.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #6 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 2:09 pm

If you plan to keep the bike for long time then the 26K miles is not a problem. But if you think you may be reselling it in a couple a years ( like I usually do with my bikes ) than a lower miles bike will sell quicker later on. No many bikers will buy a bike with 40-50K miles.

I don't know how much the dealer is asking but you could find a '05 with similar miles for around 10K.

I have a 2005 LT with 6K miles. There is nothing to be suspicious for bike with low miles. You can tell from their tear and wear whether they have been used or not.
I have three bikes and don't ride much of each to start with, but I like to keep them all for different reasons.

Good luck on your search.

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 k1200LT

'03 KRS sold 2006
'04 R1150RT sold 2006
'03 K1200GT sold 2009
post #7 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 2:33 pm

Should you buy an LT? NO! NO! NO!
Let me make myself clear: NO!

If you buy an LT you'll forever lose the thrill and excitement of trying new bikes in search of THE ONE. How sad would that be? Just think of all the thrills of buying and selling bikes, learning them, then finding them to be lacking. Frustrating? yes, but it really is all about the thrill of the hunt, right?

If you buy the LT now, you lose every future oppurtunity of searching for that perfect touring bike, and how boring would that be?

Buy at your own risk, if you must. Just don't say that you weren't warned.
post #8 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Yes, you'll love that 100 mile round trip each day to work and back. I have a 2003 with 84,xxx miles and will clock it over the 100k mark this year, hope to make it over the 200k mark in three more years. I ride all winter here in Mo when the roads aren't icy and have ridden down to 0 F. I bought a heated underjacket and wear my riding jacket and an insulated jacket on top of that. Hope to have a winter riding jacket by the time it turns cold this fall. It's also great in the rain as only my head and shoulders even get damp at highway speeds. I think you'll love the upgrade !

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #9 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 4:27 pm

In my opinion you will love the LT. I also ride about 100 miles a day to work and back with no problems at all. Go for it.

Dave Van Zee
Mulberry IN

'00 K1200LT (Current ride)
'96 Honda PC800 (past ride)
'84 Kawasaki 600 (past ride)
post #10 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 5:21 pm

If you get on ok on your test ride, go for it. That mileage is nothing.
post #11 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 6:49 pm

After wanting a K1200LT for 3 years, I finally bought one. It's an amazing bike, looking forward to lots of miles.

Bob
post #12 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 7:22 pm

I went from a VTX 1800 to my LT that I have had for 6 years I believe you will really enjoy the LT once you get used to riding it it will be different than the VTX.
post #13 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Yes.

At 25K it is still a baby. Enjoy!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Garage

I'm thinking along the same lines as the guy below. DO NOT PURCHASE AN LT. Not for his reasons, but my own. Seeing that the LT is obsolete, I'll need parts to keep Barbara on the road... Maybe if you don't buy, they will part her out?

And as for the guy that made the comment.
Quote:
No many bikers will buy a bike with 40-50K miles.
I got barbara with over 100K, She is still stunning (after a set of implants! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Should you buy an LT? NO! NO! NO!
Let me make myself clear: NO!

If you buy an LT you'll forever lose the thrill and excitement of trying new bikes in search of THE ONE. How sad would that be? Just think of all the thrills of buying and selling bikes, learning them, then finding them to be lacking. Frustrating? yes, but it really is all about the thrill of the hunt, right?

If you buy the LT now, you lose every future oppurtunity of searching for that perfect touring bike, and how boring would that be?

Buy at your own risk, if you must. Just don't say that you weren't warned.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #15 of 28 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorwagner
I need some guidance, I currently have a 2005 Honda VTX and want a bike with more touring capabiltiy. I drive 100 miles a day to work and back and want to be able to ride in colder weather and take the wife out for longer rides.

I found a 2005 LT at the local dealer with 26,000 miles on it. It is in great shape cosmetically and I am planning a trip this weekend to take it for a test ride. Is that too many miles to buy a used bike? Should I keep looking for one with lower miles?

Thanks in advance.

Warriorwagner

Buy It...............You will love it..............Like we all do....

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #16 of 28 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 2:07 am

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Warriorwagner
I never owned a bike, never rode, absolutely no experience. So I took the MSF course, got my bike license and went out and bought, as my very first bike in my entire life, a K1200LT. 2003 model with 13K miles. For my 73rd birthday. Two weeks later I rode it, solo, from Los Angeles to Spokane, Washington. Took 10 days, 3000 plus miles. Loved every minute of it. This summer planning a ride to Canada from Los Angeles. No regrets. Love the bike, ride it all over town (not any fun in heavy, stop-and-go traffic but great on the freeways) and every chance I get. Great for carrying passengers. So I would tell you to go for it.
post #17 of 28 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 5:56 am Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the great feedback you all have provided. This forum is great, just like the VTX forum I have been a member of for years. I am taking the wife to look at it on Saturday and will keep everybody informed if I can make the deal.

A couple more questions, what should I ask the dealer when talking to him about the bike? Are there any 2005 specific things I should inquire about, i.e. recalls, known issues for that year? Is there any particular high failure items that I should be looking for when taking the test ride?

Thanks again for all your help, I want this to be the last bike I buy for a long time.

WarriorWagner
post #18 of 28 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 8:33 am

It would probably be a good idea to have the dealership take the VIN number and pull up the service records if possible. If you DO buy the bike maybe you could negotiate a full service (I.E. valve check / adjustment, fluid change, ABS brake service) as part of the purchase price. While I wouldn't stand up for most of them, there ARE some good dealers out there who will treat you right.
Check the tires out too as they can affect your initial impression of the bike, worn tires make for a crappy ride. Lift the seat and check the adjustment on the rear shock too, as that can also affect your first impression. Ignore the odd sound of the engine, while it sounds weird and noisy at first, it definitely grows on you. And make sure not to grab a whole handful of front brake when you ease across the lot for the first time.
Good luck!

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #19 of 28 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 9:04 am
cws

Garage

Check if they've replaced the original rear 10-point rotor with the updated 5-point one, much quieter braking.
Check if the mirrors have been tethered to the bike, not nice if they get "bumped" off and aren't.
what else.. there's been a few threads in the past asking these questions...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #20 of 28 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 9:40 am

Well, I tried to warn you, but you wouldn't listen, FINE! I'd ask about a full fluid change: including brake and radiator, and see if they'll go in and clean/lube the shift linkage. If they do, maybe they'll let you watch so that you can put that on your list of regular maint.
Good luck!! And just enjoy it.

Frank
post #21 of 28 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 10:48 am

Yes.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 28 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:54 pm

I went from a VTX1800R dressed up for touring to my 2001 LTC. It takes a little getting used to the upright riding position after riding the lazy boy but you will find the smoothness of the ride and the handling very addictive. you will be throwing it into the twisty's like never before. BUT.. It is top heavy and will flop over if you stop with your handlbars turned. (I heard this can happen ) Fuel milage is great. fuel range is twice that of the VTX. weather protection for everyday commuting is a big plus and all the ammenities..... heated seats, heated grips, radio etc are all things that will add to your riding pleasure. It won't be long before you forget about the vtx. I had a chance to ride my brothers VTX after one year of owning my LT and I was glad that I made the switch. My bike has 77,000 miles on it and I think it runs better everytime I take it out. Good luck with your test ride/purchase and enjoy!

One other thing, The LT likes to run with the RPM's higher than you are used to with your V twin. It also takes a little getting used to.

Rick

2001 K1200LT C New to me 4-06-09
2002 Honda VTX 1800- SOLD
1983 Honda Goldwing interstate - SOLD
post #23 of 28 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Buy it.
post #24 of 28 Old May 1st, 2010, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

All, thanks for all the help with this decision, but the dealership sold it this morning to someone else. I guess I will have to keep looking.

Thanks again,

Warriorwagner
post #25 of 28 Old May 1st, 2010, 9:10 pm

Sorry if I missed it, but how much were they asking for it and did it have any extras on it?
post #26 of 28 Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:10 am

WW, that just ain't right! Sellin' a mans motorcycle right out from under him! It was an '05 and ya really didn't want it anyway. The '05's didn't come in purple! (see avatar)

I've been thinking about your original question; i.e. should you buy an LT. Asking this group of yahoos whether or not you should buy an LT is like showing up at the drag strip with a top fueler and asking the other drivers whether you should drive it fast!

We like 'em! Good luck on the next one.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #27 of 28 Old May 2nd, 2010, 2:57 am

I'm going to throw out a price.... if it is priced over 10k, I would ask for a bumper to bumper warranty for every 500 bones they have it priced over 10k. I have done more than 9k in warranty work on my 04 with the same miles in just the last year and a half. It's a great bike buy it can be costly to own. Just my .02

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #28 of 28 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:08 am

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Warriorwagner
YES, Buy It!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in