Low Mileage LT Too Risky? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Question Low Mileage LT Too Risky?

Guys need some advice on buying a used LT.

I'm hoping to buy a LT within the next few weeks. I sold my 03 LT last year that I purchased new and ended up with 70K miles. It was mostly problem free which I attribute to the fact that it ran on regular basis.

Now I'm looking at some LTs that are three to five years old with very low miles, 12K, 15K etc.

My questions is - Are these bikes at increased risk of some type of failure because they haven't been ridden much? Should I be aiming for bikes closer to 8K - 15K miles/year?

Thanks.

PS - Since most of these bikes are out of the warranty period, it doesn't look like extended warranty is an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Low Mileage LT Too Risky?

The average motorcycle in the U.S. gets 1100 to 1500 miles per year. I would say as long as it's been ridden several times a year you should be ok. What will get you in trouble is one that has set for several years without use. If it's set long enough to require cleaning of the fuel system, I would be very cautious.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 4:58 pm

I bought mine when it had only 1300 miles on in two years. Low miles is not a probem. Just check the maint records and change all the fluids. Then RIDE!

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Mine was 7 yrs old with only 6800 miles on it. I've ridden it another 12,000 this past year with no problems. Knock on wood!

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

My 2000 was 5 years old with 13,200 miles on it when i bought. The PO let it set in the garage for over 1 year only starting it once a month to keep the battery up. I now have about 62,000 trouble free miles. I've replaced the battery once , upgraded the shift linkage & shocks. ALL the services have been done by me , Grif, Channing, John Zeiler, & John Fisher over the last 5 years.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 28th, 2010, 12:22 pm

check with RPMone they do provide a package for "out of warranty" bikes. don't know cost for such, but Eugene,Or BMW gave m a very good deal on my 05. Have already saved over twice the cost of warranty.

Max BMW where fixes were done said RPMone were the best Extended warranty people they have ever worked with, even better then the company they offered. They made a call and got approval on the spot.

coverage for unlimited milage, no deductions, no copay, no restrictions, and for five years.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 28th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Mine was 7 yrs old with only 6800 miles on it. I've ridden it another 12,000 this past year with no problems. Knock on wood!
Bought my '01 in May '09 with 7800 miles. Rear tire wore out at 19,000 (POS!!! ) . Other than the rear tire and other routine maintenance I haven't done a thing to it except ride it! Knock on Wood!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 28th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Look @ it as a roll of the dice 'Grasshopper'..............But Hell, it's a "LT"..........ya' can't go wrong............."TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NOT TRY."..............ya' know what I mean...................
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 29th, 2010, 9:07 am

Infrequent riding is ok, just when it sits for years without being ridden then seals tend to dry up and the problems begin. I'd feel comfortable buying an 05 with just a few thousand miles on it.

02 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in