Top Case Plug - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 11:18 pm Thread Starter

Top Case Plug

I am trying to install an extra 12 volt outlet in the top case. Found this plug behind the document stowage compartment. Checked plug .........no voltage. Can anybody tell me anything about this plug? Thanks.........Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2208.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	726.4 KB
ID:	27056  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 11:58 pm

Garage
Re: Top Case Plug

If I recall that is for the center brake light on top of the top case....Top...top..top... Just wanted to say top again. Put a meter to it and put the brake on.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 1:40 am

Talking Re: Top Case Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
If I recall that is for the center brake light on top of the top case....Top...top..top... Just wanted to say top again. Put a meter to it and put the brake on.
Yup! Hoss got it right. That is the plug for the LED bar brake light that goes on the back of the trunk rack. On the earlier LT's that did not come with the rack you can still use it for that same purpose on an after-market brake light if your rack has one.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 2:07 am

I put a 12V outlet in mine, by taking a pair of cables off the back of the existing 12V outlet on the front of the top box and leading them through inside the box. One advantage of this is that that outlet is switched (i.e. only powered up when the ignition is turned on), so anything connected to it can safely be left connected without any wories about flattening the battery.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #5 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 11:26 am

Woolly, I'm planning to add an outlet to my top case and had decided to run the wires as you describe. What kind of receptacle did you use? I haven't decided whether to surface mount the outlet someplace, or just leave it loose at the end of the wires so I can move it around to accomodate the junk that seems to wind up in my top case. Also don't want to complicate removal of the top case lining when necessary.

post #6 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 11:57 am

I just used a cigarette lighter socket on the end of a lead . .

Then, if I'm using more chargers etc., I can plug in a 4-way adaptor or even a USB charger/adapter.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #7 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Thumbs up Re: Top Case Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
I just used a cigarette lighter socket on the end of a lead . .

Then, if I'm using more chargers etc., I can plug in a 4-way adaptor or even a USB charger/adapter.
Well done Whooly! 1+ on the power outlet, and it won't flatten the battery. Dude...Sweet
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 9:20 am

I am about to do the same thing.

The topcase power outlet has two wires: brown and green/purple.

Which one is live, i.e. positive, or does it matter ?.
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
I am about to do the same thing.

The topcase power outlet has two wires: brown and green/purple.

Which one is live, i.e. positive, or does it matter ?.
My experience so far has showed that BMW uses the BROWN wire for negative (ground) and yes, it does matter....
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocat
What kind of receptacle did you use?
Same fitting as the other power sockets, but surface mounted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2132(edited).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	29693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Socketbox.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	29694  

Just pussin' through.
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 1:46 pm
Sit

I did the same thing a while back. Just used a standard cigarette lighter extension type plug from Radio Shack, think it cost $6. Wired it to the accessory plug on the top box and routed it into the box via an X slice in the liner on the box. Left the wire long and put joints in the wires between the liner and actual box. This way you can easily remove the liner and just unplug the charger without having to go in to the accessory port area.

Check your bike though! The accessory port on my top box stays hot with the bike off, it only looses power when the key is turned to the locked position. As far as I can tell, it has not been altered, its just the way it is. So if I have something hooked to it, I am mindful as to how long I am going to be away from the bike and whether I want it to conintue to charge or not. If not, just lock the ignition.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Wink Re: Top Case Plug

Well Brian, you got me curious, so I just stepped out to the garage and swapped my BT from the front to the rear power port, and found what I was led to believe all along. Namely that the rear port was only live while I had ignition turned on, or in the "accesory" position. If I go to "Off", where I can still turn the handlebars, it is dead! Same as "Lock". So, perhaps BMW changed things later in the LT line, but I can assure you that a '99-'01 (early '01's at least) will not be live without power on.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
-Snip-
Check your bike though! The accessory port on my top box stays hot with the bike off, it only looses power when the key is turned to the locked position. As far as I can tell, it has not been altered, its just the way it is. So if I have something hooked to it, I am mindful as to how long I am going to be away from the bike and whether I want it to conintue to charge or not. If not, just lock the ignition.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 7:09 pm
Sit

And I double checked my plugs today John before taking her for a spin. Key in full lock position, no power to rear port. Turn key to next position, freeing the front wheel and I gots all kinda power to the rear port. HMMM another one of those mysteries I guess. Always wondered though why sometimes the ipod in my top box would keep playing while I was away from the bike and other times I would have to restart it. Must be the locking the wheel part that kills it and requires restarting the ipod.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Wink Re: Top Case Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
And I double checked my plugs today John before taking her for a spin. Key in full lock position, no power to rear port. Turn key to next position, freeing the front wheel and I gots all kinda power to the rear port. HMMM another one of those mysteries I guess. Always wondered though why sometimes the ipod in my top box would keep playing while I was away from the bike and other times I would have to restart it. Must be the locking the wheel part that kills it and requires restarting the ipod.
Right on Brian!
John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #15 of 15 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Same with mine, a 2005 model ( hydraulic centre stand etc, etc )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in