New owner questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

New owner questions

Hello to everyone ,
This is my first time here and I have a few questions regarding my 05 LT. I bought it used two weeks ago with 9000 miles on it. So far I love the bike even though it don't have the grunt of my valkyrie. My concerns are the clouds of smoke when first starting it when it's cold. It's not too bad when parked on the center stand but when on the side stand I can fog the whole yard. It also sounds like a diesel when idling and if I run the rpm up between 2000-3000 rpm it makes a loud knocking sound which has me feeling uneasy. I hope this purchase wasn't a mistake as I love everything else about the bike. Thanks Mike (rotax07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 4:57 pm

The LT does tend to smoke when parked on the side stand, it caused by the downward slant of the pistons. Some do it more than others. Keep it up right for a few seconds, not running, when you park it to reduce the occurences. Otherwise tell the onlookers it a diesel.

My 2000 started getting noisy last week, just like you described. I checked and I had Loose connections at the positive battery connection. It the alternator making the noise. Tightened everything up and she sounds normal again.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 9:01 pm

Cool alternator

My bike seems to be making this sound, but the connections on the battery are tight. Could it be the bearing in the alternator? Anyone have any ideas???

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:37 am

While idling, especially if you have anything extra turned on, the alternator on the LT does tend to get noisy. Mine's done it for 35K now, with no ill-effects whats-so-ever.

Smoking when starting? Oh! That's the cylinder pre-oilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotax07
if I run the rpm up between 2000-3000 rpm it makes a loud knocking sound
That's the one that really concerns me. I'd take it into a shop and see what they say about the sound. Or, perhaps you could meet up with someone from the forum that lives in WI, and the two of you could compare sounds.
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 1:20 pm

Garage
Mike, the smoking, as other have mentioned, is normal. Oil remains in the cylinder heads and gets burned up on restart. I also have an 05 with about 7500 miles on the clock and when idling in neutral it makes a knocking sound. Pull the clutch in and it's gone. This is not a bike to show off to anyone while on its centerstand and idling, as it has its unbecoming quirks. It does put on quite a display, though, when the center stand is doing its thing and , of course, when on the move. Treat it gently and she'll respond well. Flog her every now and then and get the cobwebs out, but remember that the clutch won't let you do a burn-out; it's not designed for that. You want grunt? Ride your Valk. Hope you continue posting here. Most everybody here is pretty nice...except for me ;P

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 2:13 pm

"Smoking when starting? Oh! That's the cylinder pre-oilers!"

Hey Joe
you forgot to mention how some manufactures make you pay extra for that feature.......
post #7 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratorino2004
"Smoking when starting? Oh! That's the cylinder pre-oilers!"

Hey Joe
you forgot to mention how some manufactures make you pay extra for that feature.......
Were you the originator of the "pre-oilers" comment? I read that here on the forum and just about passed coffee through my nose.
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Were you the originator of the "pre-oilers" comment? I read that here on the forum and just about passed coffee through my nose.
Sorry Joe, it was not me.......I would have thought for sure that was one of yours......
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I would like to thank all for responding. I went out two weeks ago to buy a new goldwing and the dealers in my area just wanted to waste my time. My father inlaw who's ridin BMW's for 35+ years was with me and suggested a ride on the LT. I've ridden his 05 rt1200 and enjoyed it but a twin is not for me. After test riding it for a hour I came back to the dealer and took the father inlaw for another 45 min ride. Needless to say when I got back my wife had all the paper work done and waiting for me to sign. This bike seems to grow on me more everyday. I ride it rain or shine. This board seem to be interesting and hopefully it will be as informative as the valkyrie rides board are.

Thanks again Mike
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:23 pm
Ric

Mike: I live in Muskego and could take a listen to your LT sometime. I have an 05 and it rattles a bit a idle and will smoke if parked on the side-stand right after shutting her down. Feel free to let me know if/when you want to get together......Ric
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:40 pm

Smile ratttttle

no big deal. mine rattles too. Usually with the clutch pulled. I put it in neutral and let go of the clutch to minimize the wear on the throwout bearing.. then just quit worrying about it... 77k and no probs..

Welcome aboard!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:22 am

Thumbs up Coming from Valk

I believe the biggest problem you will have is not giving the bike enough revs. I had the same problem and it took me over 6 months to realize I need to get up to 5000 rpm before changing and never get below 3000 rpms once you learn that you will LOVE the LT.
Ride Safe as they say ride it like you stole it
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:04 am

Smile

Mike, like the others have said, the smoke from being on the side stand is not unusual. And if you do shut off the engine before leaning her over that will help lesson it usually.
On the knocking sound, mine does this at idle if I have additional electrical loads on it. The best example is my aux lights (Moto Lts): if I turn them on it gets louder; as soon as I turn them off it gets much quieter! Been that way since I bought her. I don't really notice the knocking at higher RPMs, but that is probably because I am riding with my tunes on!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 16 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:29 pm

I have an 05 and that knocking sound is very disconcerning . But if they all do it I'm OK. The smoking I have not experienced and I alway put it on the center stand. I have 2500 miles on mine. The pinging from the fuel injectors is the hard one for me. These bikes make some noise but all bikes do. My Harley really had some clanks and bangs that I could not believe after owning some Japanese bikes.
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 5:50 am

That is why all LTs come with a good stereo system. When you hear the funny noises, just turn up the volume.

Checkout kid at a local supermarket asked me if I owned a car. Guess he noticed I always ware a Yellow Joe Rocket jacket.

Bob
post #16 of 16 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 7:38 pm

Actually I thought "comparing sounds" with someone else was funnier!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in