What to use to cover up a slight rub mark on the top of a side case? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 7:44 am Thread Starter

What to use to cover up a slight rub mark on the top of a side case?

My first few months of ownership, when the bike was new, I dropped it 2-3 times and the last time was up against a curb which left a slight rub mark that also scratched the plastic. The area in question is up near the top and close to the edge and about 3/4" wide X 2".

I haven't dropped the bike since then so I figured that now was the time to make the repair and maybe give it a more custom look, even though it is one of the rare green ones.

Any suggestions on reflective tape that I might easily place over the mark that would look good. Because of the position of the scratch, I'll probably need to run the tape on the side and back in one continuous piece. The tape will need to be quite flexible to make the turn and also conform to the curve at the top of the side case.

I thought about having the side case painted, but if it can be covered so that it looks good, I won't have to disassemble it and go though the PITA of downtime and reassemble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw volt ohm meter 004.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	27033  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 8:26 am

Re: What to use to cover up a slight rub mark on the top of a side case?

Why not go get the paint and fix that little area, give it a light wet sanding with 800 grit wipe it down with paint cleaner paint it and wet sand it again either buff it out and or clearcoat it. That one is an easy fix.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 8:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Find a couple BMW stickers and place one on each case in the same position. I did that on a couple dings I have on the top case with some small roundels that were given to me (thanks, Dick).

$0.02,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Why not go get the paint and fix that little area, give it a light wet sanding with 800 grit wipe it down with paint cleaner paint it and wet sand it again either buff it out and or clearcoat it. That one is an easy fix.
I don't think just painting it will make the scratches invisible. The plastic is slightly gouged and would need to be filled or sanded down and I don't think I've got the skills to do it correctly. I can take it to get it done for around $200, but thought I'd try some tape first.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 9:25 am

Yeah, You can get a body shop to fix it for about $200 That's what I'd do..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 9:28 am

I hear ya the reason I mentioned it was I just worked out a nasty gouge in my car which also needed filler. LOL ok I was happy with the way it turned out and it was a heck of a lot easier then I thought it was going to be.

I'm a little obsessive even if it was covered up I would know the paint was hosed there and it would drive me nuts.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
I agree, a little effort and a lot of patience will get fairly good results.

Just give it a day or so for the paint to cure before rubbing down.
post #8 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 4:25 pm

ya could silicone penny's all over it or duct tape lol na that wouldnt be a bad fix just take your time
post #9 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I don't think just painting it will make the scratches invisible. The plastic is slightly gouged and would need to be filled or sanded down and I don't think I've got the skills to do it correctly. I can take it to get it done for around $200, but thought I'd try some tape first.
Go buy a new cover . That part costs 234 here in the uk . At least the paint will be perfect and will carry a 2 year warranty and you won,t have to worry about a crap paint job .
Regards numbnuts in blighty numbnuts .
post #10 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 5:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

2" Wide Scotchlite silver reflective tape cut to match the curve of the silver handle. Sweet. Lay it out with 2" masking tape and draw the lines. Pull it up. Cut the lines. Transfer it over. Stick it down. galls.com Under $20.00

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=DE182

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Apr 21st, 2010 at 5:45 pm.
post #11 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 5:51 pm
CMV

For something like that, I'd at least try a little Bondo, sandpaper, & touchup paint. Worst case you're out $30 & some time. It's already boogered up & maybe you can fix it. If not, you can go back to plan A of hiding or having a pro fix it. Won't cost any more to hide or have a shop do it if you try it first.

But by attempting the DIY fix you at least then have the materials on hand to go after the next little ding which may be within your capabilities.

I have a hard time with paint too & am definitely not a pro body man, but I manage to get good results for light dings & scuffs. I kind of look at finishing the paint like polishing. You can't just apply the paint & stop - the surface finishes won't match no matter what & it will just look bad. But slow & careful sanding progressing through higher & higher grits will get the surfaces & old/new paint to blend. It's forgiving stuff to work with - doesn't turn out right - just sand & try again.

2003 K1200LT
post #12 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 7:18 pm

Another hula girl sticker...................
post #13 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
Another hula girl sticker...................
-she came with a 6-pack in the far East. My wife actually gave it to me!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 4:58 am

You could get one of those bullet hole stickers and cover it up.

2000 K1200LT (hybrid)
post #15 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 7:51 am Thread Starter

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa it's in Florida, not Texas!

Gona go by the local auto-zone today and check out the tapes.... if that don't work, then I'll take it off and run it to the body shop. Tired of looking at the sign of failure....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #16 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Tired of looking at the sign of failure....
But..but... Dan,
just try to think of it with pride like a battle scar,
an undeniable testament to the fact that this bike is ridden
and not a garage "queen"

All you really need is a good "heroic" story to go along with "the scar"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #17 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 9:32 am

Dan,
Check out this place. http://www.reflectivelyyours.com/homepage.html

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #18 of 19 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 11:52 am

MUD...its organic too!

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #19 of 19 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 11:49 am

Your dealer likely has some guy who does their work out of his garage. Ask them if they would have him do your case. I had an entire GT side panel repainted for $50.

Because if is more than "a slight rub mark" you could go ahead and do the body work and get it nice and smooth first.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in