Maintance cost? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Maintance cost?

I have been told maintance can be expensive with this bike. I bought it anyway, rides great and the wife loves it.

Can any of you give me a ball park figure of the cost of the various maintance needs for this bike. I live in OK if that helps any.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Re: Maintance cost?

Lots of variables there. Depends mostly on what problems you encounter and weather or not you'll do the work yourself. I don't think I could (or would want to) afford to have someone do all my work for me. I'll tackle anything that goes wrong myself, but so far very little has gone wrong. My latest expense is ordering a broken trim piece, probably cost about $100. I also change my own tires, which so far has been my most major expense: which only means I'm riding long and hard, and loving every minute of it.
Hope you have the same fortune as I.

Frank - and welcome.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 4:30 pm

If you plan to do all your own maintenance then it is a pretty inexpensive bike to maintain. If you have the dealer do everything it is going to be painful. If you have ever owned a German car you will know exactly what I mean.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 7:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Maintance cost?

Welcome Brian. As has been stated, if you pay the dealer, it will cost you considerably to maintain the LT. When you do your own maintenance and repair, it's still not cheap, but 99% of the LT owners on this site will tell you it is WELL worth it! I don't know of anything that you will ever need to do that has not been done by someone here that is willing to help you.
Browse the K1200LT forum and the Hall of Wisdom for more information than you can digest at one sitting. Sure makes for good reading though. Just don't get nervous when reading about the problems, i.e rear drive failure .
Stick around, read, makes a few posts, ask questions and get to know some folks in your area. And enjoy the best Touring Bike around....

BTW, you and I agree on the Most Important Thing!

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Hello taehapdo

Dealer shop rates/parts are high no matter what dealer or make of vehicle . Most all the maintenance costs are in tires $260 - maybe $350 for 10-12K miles . Oil changes I internet HiFlo or Bosch for about $6 + $13 for oil at Walmart changed at 4K miles .I change the FD lube every other oil change just to look at the magnetic drain plug maybe another $2 .
Search here and ask questions before being temped to take to dealer , there are many helpful riders here .

To me if there is a better road bike I do not want to know

Bob G
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 9:02 pm

There are a few tricks to working on the LT that are all mentioned some where on the Forum.........mostly, once you get a little grease under your fingernails, you'll find out how easy and rewarding it is to do the work yourself.........Knowing the bike better is a sure way to bolster your confidence on the road..............And I have got to admit...........I do love to shred them curves............
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taehapdo
I have been told maintance can be expensive with this bike. I bought it anyway, rides great and the wife loves it.

Can any of you give me a ball park figure of the cost of the various maintance needs for this bike. I live in OK if that helps any.

Thanks.
If you're asking what dealer service costs it can vary between dealers. I decided that when I bought my bike I'd do all the oil changes (engine,trans & FD) but until the warranty expired @ 36,000 the dealer would do the major services at 12,000 and 24,000. I just had the 24,000 service done and the cost broke down as follows:

Parts total was $171.52
This included spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, brake fluid for brakes and clutch, coolant/mixture, 1 rubber grommet and waste/shop supplies.

Labor was 5.5 hours @ 88.00 for at total of $484.00.
All valves were found on the tight side with 3 out of spec. Both cams were pulled and all buckets were changed to get clearances on high side of specs.

Add in $59.00 tax and the total came to $714.52

Remember that did not include the oil changes which I did myself. You can save yourself a lot of money if you want to DIY but for dealer service I consider this a fair price. If you do go with a dealer ask questions before hand. I've heard of charges of $1200.00+ for the 24,000 miles service.Hope this helps.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 11:08 pm

If you decide to have the dealer service the bike, remove the tupperware before bringing it to the dealer. That will save you about 1.5 - 2 hrs of shop labor cost.

Hall of wisdom, Clymer/OEM service manuals, and tech sessions on this website will save money also.

Ride safe,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Some oil, a filter. some tires. some brake fluid..

Not too much if you do the work yourself...
If you have the dealership do it then the price will at least quadruple..

Let's see a pic of that LT..

I'll be around if you need advice...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 11:59 pm

What year is the bike?

Farkles?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in