Steering damper is damping my spirit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 11:11 pm Thread Starter

Steering damper is damping my spirit

Late last fall, I noticed a clicking noise from the front of the LT when I hit bumps in the road. Upon inspection, I found the steering damper had come loose from the fork brace at the front fender. The damper was shot as well so I replaced the damper. Yesterday, I noticed the front wheel seemed to be out of balance. Today I started removing my Tupperware to replace the brake lines with new SS lines. When I got to the front of the bike to unplug the PIAA lights, I noticed the steering damper had pulled out of the fork brace. All the hardware seems to be in place; i.e., the bolt, heim joint, washer, etc. Looking at the fiche from A&S, it shows a number 5, but under the picture there is no #5 on the parts descriptions. There are 9 numbered parts, but 5 is not listed. The top of the fork brace has a land on it that looks as though it should have a snap ring of some sort, but there is not one on my bike and the fiche doesn't show one. Any ideas from you folks? This is starting to get tiresome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Re: Steering damper is damping my spirit

Someone here just rebuilt their dampener for less than 20 bucks.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Don,

I did rebuild my steering damper as well, but it got gooched up so I replaced it. The rebuilt damper is the one that came loose and now the new damper has pulled through the front fender brace. It appears that there should be a snap ring in the fender brace but nothing of the sort shows up on the parts microfiche. I've looked at A&S as well as the local dealers'. Just wondering if anyone out there knows for sure what secures the heim joint, and washers and the bolt to the fork brace and holds the damper to the same brace.

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Are you saying the little ball came out of the lower tree? If so, you have to replace the lower tree. The ball is not a serviceable item.

Could you post a pic of your problem?

2000 K1200LT (hybrid)
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 2:27 pm

I just happen to have my lower fork bridge removed and partially cleaned up. Attached are pictures. As you can see, no snap ring. Bummer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT Lower Fork Bridge top.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	27026   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT Lower Fork Bridge bottom view.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	27027  

2000 K1200LT (hybrid)
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

I found the problem. The space that I thought was for a snap ring is actually the space between the top of the fork brace and the outer race for the heim joint. It turns out that the ball came out of the outer heim race and that's why my steering damper ist kaput. So, the local friendly dealer got me the new heim joint, spacer and bolt and I should be back in business as soon as I can figure out how to get the old outer race out of the fork brace. I have gotten it to move, just not far enough to get it all the way out. Looks like it could have been worse.
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 5:58 am

Rebuild is always honorable but in this case you might want to replace the damper with an after market product of better quality. I suggest that you replace the OEM with a HYPERPRO active. Hyperprousa.com
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 11:27 pm

This is my first post to the LT forum and I have been reading with interest the many innovations and adventures of this group. I am posting on this particular subject because I believe I have come up with a rebuild/repair to the steering damper.

For a bit of history I have the 1999 K1200LT that I bought used with about 26000 miles in the end of 2008. I now have 45000 miles on it.I guess I like the bike. The steering damper seals failed somewhere about 30000 miles and I completed the rebuild as suggested on this forum with like seals from a bearing service place. The repair lasted about a year. After doing this one more time with the same results I was looking for a better solution. It would appear that the seals that BMW used are special in design an stiffness but still will fail as all of us have found eventually.

The damper itself is a nicely designed unit and does lend itself to being repaired fairly easily other than this seal issue. My current solution was to replace the seals with a machined aluminium plug the same size as the seal but with grooves to accommodate standard o-rings you can get anywhere. A groove cut on the inside and on the outside to seal the unit. I have access to an excellent machine shop that can now make these fairly easily since we got the right tools to accurately reproduce this.

The results so far are about 500 or so miles and not a drop of hydraulic fluid and function is wonderful. The question I have is there anyone on this site interested in repairing their damper with this technique? Between the machine shop and me to make it worth our while $50 for the machined parts and some o-rings would be fair. We don't expect to get rich but have enough for a fair beer fund. You can directly email me at [email protected] if you have an individual inquiry. I am seriously interested in any comments on this.

I have come up with a radio improvement that seems to rock that I will post at a later date, love tinkering with this bike.

Bill
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 1:34 am
cws

Garage

Now thats what I like, an innovative first post.... ! welcome. Hope I dont have to call on your fix though ;-P
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 1:58 am

Thanks Bill. The radio mod sounds interesting.
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 1:59 am

Wow a reply from down under! How small the world has become due to the internet. Thank you for the compliment on my first post. The only significant place outside of the US I have ever been was Norway. Australia is one of those places I would like to visit given time and money. Time is our worst enemy. Been offered a sponsorship once to move there but didn't take it, too many ties keeping me here. One day maybe.........

Cheers, Bill
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 2:19 am

Bill. Welcome to the forum, btw.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 9:38 am

Norway is more or less like Australia but without kangeroos, so donīt worry about it.

Itīs basically a very big island inhabited by strange and inhospitable people avoiding the British judicial system, and worst of all, run by a woman, who isnīt called Sheila, with RED hair.

Mind you, she was born in the UK which makes up for it. They couldnīt find anyone from there to do the job (properly)

Last edited by simoncharles; Aug 14th, 2010 at 1:35 pm.
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Norway is more or less like Australia but without kangeroos, so donīt worry about it.

Itīs basically a very big island inhabited by strange and inhospitable people avoiding the British judicial system, and worst of all, run by a woman, who isnīt called Sheila, with RED hair.

Mind you, she was born in the UK which makes up for it. They couldnīt find anyone from there to do the job (properly)
Is that the gal who looks like Conan O'Brien?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in