Bouncy Lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 11:11 am Thread Starter

Bouncy Lt

Hey guys, have 160K miles on my "99" LT have not ridden 2 up on this bike till this past weekend. With her on did notice the ride a little mushy but the shock never bottomed out. Got on the interstate and she got quite bouncy. I had cranked the spring tensioner down a few turns and have since learned to check its fluid level which I will do but being that I notice no concerns riding solo and the opportunity to make adjustments then get her back on are few and far between ,my question is am I avoiding the enevenable replacement of the rear shock or will my topping the tensioner off and cranking it all the way down eliminate the bounce? I weigh 200 , she 130 and maybe 30 lb gear.
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Re: Bouncy Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk
Hey guys, have 160K miles on my "99" LT have not ridden 2 up on this bike till this past weekend. With her on did notice the ride a little mushy but the shock never bottomed out. Got on the interstate and she got quite bouncy. I had cranked the spring tensioner down a few turns and have since learned to check its fluid level which I will do but being that I notice no concerns riding solo and the opportunity to make adjustments then get her back on are few and far between ,my question is am I avoiding the enevenable replacement of the rear shock or will my topping the tensioner off and cranking it all the way down eliminate the bounce? I weigh 200 , she 130 and maybe 30 lb gear.
James
Welcome James....I would suggest with that many miles, I would replace both front & rear shock. You will be amazed how the old girl handles with better suspension.
If you do a search you will find numerous threads on what shock brands to use, how to do it etc.

Good luck & Ride Safe

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

With 160K on the shocks your only about 125K OVER DUE !!
Get NEW shocks man.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Call Ted at The Beemer Shop, he'll fix you up
post #5 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

So the bouncing has nothing to do with the tensioner oil level or its positioning?
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 2:27 pm

I replace any and all shocks at 35,000..........they usually always need it....Look at them as a maintenance item......Some of the re-build able units are a bit spendy but well worth the bread........then you can have them kitted up when they start turning to mush..........A bike with a good suspension is a happy and way safer bike..........which translates into a much funner bike...........
post #7 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 2:33 pm

Quote:
So the bouncing has nothing to do with the tensioner oil level or its positioning?
No. That's only to preload the spring, gets you a softer or harder ride, but nothing to do with the shock function, which is what allows the bike to bottom out or bounce.
post #8 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 3:03 pm

I agree with others, at 160K miles, you are way over due on new shocks. Whether you put replacement OEMs, Wilburs, Worx, or Ohlins on as a replacement, you will notice immediately the difference in the ride and handling of the bike. It is amazing how we get used to things as they go away.

jm2cw

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I agree with others, at 160K miles, you are way over due on new shocks. Whether you put replacement OEMs, Wilburs, Worx, or Ohlins on as a replacement, you will notice immediately the difference in the ride and handling of the bike. It is amazing how we get used to things as they go away.

jm2cw
I've gotten use to you ...but you still will not go away.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I've gotten use to you ...but you still will not go away.
Where is the LOVE?!?!?! Reminds me of Larry, Darrell & Daryll.

BTW. Don't put OEM shocks back on, too pricey & not rebuildable. I have Ohlins & love 'em, others have Wliburs or Worx. I think they are all superior to stock.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 4:58 pm

James, I just switched to Ohlins front and rear on my 09 LT with 24,000 miles on the clock( a little expensive ) but well worth it. Feels like a different motorcycle. Well worth looking into.
post #12 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 5:06 pm

I am in the process of having Hyperpro shocks installed. I hope to have her back by Saturday.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #13 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

O.K. looks like ill be replacing shocks, i intend to do the job myself. By using one of the aftermarket choices suggested in these threads, will I need anything that i would not by going back with OE? Or will they be an exact match?
post #14 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 6:58 pm

I can only speak to the Wilburs, but they were easier to install than I anticipated, thanks to the help you'll find here on this forum. And I can attest that, if 'they' tell you do something, do it. There's likely a reason for it - don't ask me how I know that.
post #15 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 7:50 pm

I am your worst nightmare. I will never go away.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #16 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

So I got 160K miles off my OE shocks , you guys are changing them out at 30K. Anyone want to sell me their used ones?
post #17 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Nope. I would not put anyone in danger with my old shocks, except me. I use them when I pull the Ohlins off for the rebuild. It reminds my very quickly how ugly the heavy lady handles with the worn OEMs on. And that's all they are good for is two weeks per year while the rebuilds are being done.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #18 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Quote:
O.K. looks like ill be replacing shocks, i intend to do the job myself. By using one of the aftermarket choices suggested in these threads, will I need anything that i would not by going back with OE? Or will they be an exact match?
I gave Worx my weight with gear and luggage, inseam length, and percentage of solo riding. The new ones were a perfect fit; increased the height by at least an inch or maybe two. Differences to OEM were night and day; front and rear are rebuidable. You'll need a lift and a sling, or a friend with experience that has them and serves iced tea.

Ride safe,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #19 of 22 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt[COLOR=Red
]I gave Worx my weight with gear and luggage, inseam length, and percentage of solo riding. The new ones were a perfect fit;[/COLOR] increased the height by at least an inch or maybe two. Differences to OEM were night and day; front and rear are rebuidable. You'll need a lift and a sling, or a friend with experience that has them and serves iced tea.

Ride safe,
Curt
The same for Ohlins. I called Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing, he took all the info & my Shocks where here in 4 days.

BTW Steve ???

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 22 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
You'll need a lift and a sling, or a friend with experience that has them and serves iced tea.
Please explain the need for a lift and a sling. I've changed shocks on my LT several times, with the bike sitting on the floor and never even thought about using a sling. OBTW, I learned from watching the guys in the dealership, who have the benefit of a lift and they didn't use a sling either.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #21 of 22 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Quote:
So I got 160K miles off my OE shocks , you guys are changing them out at 30K. Anyone want to sell me their used ones?
You rode 160K on your shocks, but you just don't know how bad they have been for at least 125K! You did not "get" that kind of mileage out of them, you just rode them far past their useful life. Shocks are something MANY people ride WAY too long, on cars and bikes, because the change in the way they work is so gradual that you do not notice a "change". However, the rebound absorption of yours just about completely disappeared long ago. Riding with worn out shocks not only rides bad, it is dangerous if you get into a situation where handling can be the difference between keeping some control or going down.

I let my originals go 50,000 miles, WAY too long. Changed to Ohlins, and it was like riding a completely different bike, better than new. The beauty of Ohlins or Wilburs is that they can have their nitrogen recharged for about $25 each, and completely rebuilt for about $100 each. Makes them far cheaper than OEM replacements after the first rebuild, which should be around 35,000 miles, certainly well before 50,000. The OEM's are pretty much shot after 35,000 miles.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #22 of 22 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 11:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Please explain the need for a lift and a sling. I've changed shocks on my LT several times, with the bike sitting on the floor and never even thought about using a sling. OBTW, I learned from watching the guys in the dealership, who have the benefit of a lift and they didn't use a sling either.
Removed rear passenger seat and lifted the bike using an engine hoist and nylon straps on the rear seat lugs. Same strap on the front end with engine hoist.

I guess an aluminum NASCAR racing jack with double-throw hydraulics underneath the engine would accomplish the same thing. How do they do it at the dealership? Nearest one is an hour away.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in