Can it get any better? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2010, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Can it get any better?

Yep, that's a legitimate question! Here's my problem. I have a 2001 LT (no, that's not the problem), took it out for its maiden voyage, with the wife, testing out the new Wilbur suspension. Only went about 230 miles to a little cafe in the mountains, for lunch, and back. The bike has 68,300 miles on it, and runs like a top - on steroids. It's smooth, quiet, fast, and now incredibly stable and "planted" with the new shocks.

I've been thinking about a new LT if BMW comes out with one, but why? What could ANY bike do that this one doesn't? More HP, sure, but why? I was forced to run cruise control yesterday because if I didn't I found myself at 80+ MPH. Worse mileage I've ever recorded was 49 mpg.

So then, if I'm not going to buy a new one, I'll just rebuild this one. But when? It's only got 68,000 on it, so a rebuild, barring something unforseen, is what, another 100,000 miles down the road? She's got everything on her that I could want, so there's not much more to do. Thinking that maybe next winter I'll put in new seals and clutch, just 'cuz, and it'll help with my CDO (that like OCD, only the letters are in the order that they should be).

Well, that's my problem, and thanks for listening. I'm feeling much better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Re: Can it get any better?

I agree with you ! How can you fix something that isn't broken?
Sure I would prefer a dip stick, inplace of that dumb window and maybe a few minor adjustments but all in all, I can't see BMW improving on this bike. And more horspower will only get you easier in trouble. Enjoy yours as long as you own it!
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2010, 2:44 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I like your view.

I see the same one

I know it now, know all of the maintenance, have got most of the mods I want on it, a lot I assume would have to be done on a new one, and am gathering parts for the worst scenarios. Yea I got some money in parts on the shelf, but with 2,300 worth of Hyper Pro shocks on it, 1,200 worth of seats, upgraded all four speakers, Centech Power Block, peg lowing blocks, extended brake pedal, extended shifter, Moto Lights, -6 Cee Baily Blue Tint,, PC680 battery, BMR Shelf, Wig wag flasher on top box led, extra led brake light in license plate bracket, flashing brake light modules, Spud Rear Rack, Fix It Before It Breaks latch kit, extended side stand foot, Doran TPS with 90 degree metal valve stems, grinding the center rim lip to custom fit, J-Pegs, Jiffy Tite QD, and not sure what else.

So let me see, next to nothing on a trade in, meaning a payment, or deep cut into savings, then I probably will need the same stuff that isn't made yet or will not be made, need to relearn maintenance, and all on a untested first year platform?

Nahh, I will just keep riding my old girl, gather parts and watch how the first few years of a new one plays out.

I really am not certain enough on the economy, or more specifically, my economy and job long term out look, so it will have to be something really spectacular to make me bite.

I will live vicariously through the guys who grab them as they become available

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:42 am

History has shown us that YES, just when you think things are near perfect, it can get better -- just have to open your mind and think outside the box (I am speaking purely of hardware technology, though). Having said that, I think that perfection is in the mind of the beholder -- not just a hardware issue, but a matter of personal experience. Like my first motorcycle ride, my first skydive, scuba dive, etc... -- pure nirvana!!! However, I didn't have the greatest equipment. In fact, rather primitive and cheap equipment to that I can afford now, but the experience of pure jubilation can never be replaced. Life moves on, but our memories live forever! Even though the bikes we have now will not resemble the ones of the future, we will always look back at our experiences with fond memories.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 1:04 am

81,000 miles on mine. Just took the first long trip of the year, 492 miles in a little under 8 hours. Stopped twice for gas. I need to pull the gas level sensors to see why it wont measure lower then half a tank. Either I have crap that accumulated on the sensors while it was sitting for an extended period of time, or the rod was bent inadvertently. Other then that, ran like a top! Runs smoother the faster it runs, which is a bit of a hazard. I need to get bulbs for the PIAA 1100 lamps. get the ballast relocated that was not put back when the last shop maintanence was performed. Popped a new battery in the day I drove it from Seatle to Boise (last battery was an Odyssey PC 680 lasted 7 years, the last three under duress). Cant wait to get enough room in the garage to get the fluids changed, new rear tire, valves adjusted and the winter air swapped for summer air in the front tire.

I would be hard pressed to spend a bunch of $$ on a new rig when this one is getting the job done so well!
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 1:37 am

I love my 99 Klt. I have it set up pretty good except for the very old now GPS but it still works. The Ipod works great, Got active and passive ECM, Computer Chip with exhaust etc, HID, JPEG, Lower Foot Pegs, Comm system, Canister removal, new rear drive paid for by BMW AFTER warranty was out etc etc. I think you get the drift.

Next year for sure, New "Stock Paint" and Wilbers!!!

Yes I wish it had 50 more Hp but it still works!!!

I might try one of those medical type cooling vests but I have to figure out the best way to mount the cooling package!!

At almost 60 I find myself starting to hesitate the high speed sweeper a little so I wonder if I need anything faster anyway. The slower / tighter corners no problem except for the sore shoulder at the end of the day LOL!

Keep her running and "IF" the new LT is that good get one some day used and give the old girl to your Son or Son in law.

Later All

Steve A

PS - Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View 2.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	27000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Stack.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	27002   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Comm System .JPG
Views:	46
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	27003  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in