New guy with a couple of questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

New guy with a couple of questions

I'm currently riding a Honda St1300 and have been for a number of years. I have a bit of a bad back, so riding position is extremely important to me. The slight forward lean takes the stress off my back. My wife rides on the back of the ST, but I'm sure it is not the most comfortable place to be. She has been wanting me to buy a new bike with a "nice back seat" for some time now and finally, I have been looking for something that might work. No interest in a Harley what so ever. Rode a Goldwing and liked it, but it was not quite the right bike. I was finally able to ride a buddy's 2000 K1200LT. I really likes the LT, but the seating position was just not quote right. I'm 6'2", about 200 lbs with a 34" inseam. I loved everthing about the bike, but my les were was cramped. The seat was already in the higest position. It felt like either the seat should be higher or the pegs lower. I'm thinking that 2' lower on the pegs and it would be correct. I think if I could make those changes, I would be on an LT soon.

Any words of advice would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Re: New guy with a couple of questions

Lot's of us have these:

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/subur...d2b7f870d8166b
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Thanks. I would actually like to move them down and a bit back vs. forward.

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 7:29 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by u0061914
Short of fabricating your own lowering kit I don't know of anything that will bring the pegs down & back. I don't have the "long Leg" problem but I do have a bad hip & could only ride 200 or 300 mile before it was too painful to go on. After the Suburban kit I can ride 1000 + miles at a time.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 8:15 am

Talking Re: New guy with a couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Short of fabricating your own lowering kit I don't know of anything that will bring the pegs down & back. I don't have the "long Leg" problem but I do have a bad hip & could only ride 200 or 300 mile before it was too painful to go on. After the Suburban kit I can ride 1000 + miles at a time.
Steve,
I hear you on the hip issues.. a bit over a year ago I absolutely could not get comfortable for long.. only fix for a while had been the Mic-O-Pegs.. ..But in March of 09 I had the first hip replaced.. and rode almost 10k last year !! I went from having to get relief from the pain by moving to the Mic-O-Pegs to actually just deciding now and again to rest there now and again for a change of pace !! WOW !!!
Now.... I had the 2nd done at the end of Nov.. so who knows how long I can ride now :<)

If you have hip issues.. DON'T WAIT.. the younger you do it the faster and better you do.. I am amazed !! I thought it was supposed to be wait as long as possible and that is just not true anymore. I now an feeling 20 years younger than the 54 the calender says I am !!

Not to hjack the thread.. I had Illumworks boards and loved them, but now only am using the suburban lowering brackets an my 6'4" frame is just fine. might not even need them now :<)

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 1:54 pm

I also have a bad back...I had a fusion last year ( still working on building up the miles again )... I strongly recommend to any person with a bad back to get a back up back rest ...It has giving me great back support while riding...if you have not seen one you can see it on the picture of my LT below

I know at the end of the day what ever you decide to buy, you will be happy...as long as you can Ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #7 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 2:44 pm

I have the opposite problem with needing to be upright and my ST was too much of a lean for me.
The LT is a 'sit up and beg' type bike, BUT, you can always bend your arms a little to get whatever angle you want with the LT, and lean forward a bit.
I also wear a back protector that I can lean back against, it is like sitting in a high backed chair

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
I also wear a back protector that I can lean back against, it is like sitting in a high backed chair
What back protector do you wear?

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by u0061914
Another option for taller folks is a Russell seat...
http://www.day-long.com/new_pages/bmw_K1200.html

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2010, 10:58 am

Red face Re: New guy with a couple of questions

Hi there,

I have had the same concerns you have, 6,1 with 33 in seam, right from new had to solve leg and back issues.
I did the following things and now am more comfortable on my bike than on my couch. 200 km coffee runs and 1000 km days are the norm for me. at lightning speed of course!!
Absolutely recommend a back rest for the back issue,
Get the lowering pegs for sure, lowers your foot pegs by about an inch
Get a russel daylong seat, there basic design raises the seat hieght by about 1 inc, but you can get it raised another inch if you need it. I made a appointment and waited while it was made and they did a fitting 1/2 way through the process. they also can supply a back rest with the seat.
the last thing I did was to get some Jpeg high way pegs, but I did some custom work and lowered them a extra 1nch and 1/4, so not my legs are at the best position.
good luck with the process, its worth the effort to get it to fit you. best bike I have ever ridden.
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2010, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Great info guys. I hope to make a decision on which bike to go with in the next week or so.
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 7:41 am Thread Starter

Well... I think we have made the decsion to part with the ST1300 and move to an LT. Now to find one. I don't want to spend $20K on a new one, so I am going to go the used route. I'm going to target a 2005 and newer model. Low miles and hopefully something within a reasonable distance from Mineapolis. Not much to choose from around here. Looking forward to the new ride and I know my wife is really looking forward to a comfortable back seat
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 8:16 am

Wait until that first cool morning and you turn on your wife's seat heat and she discovers that not only her seat, but her backrest is heated as well. After that, my wife was hooked on the LT. Since then she has made me put arm rests on it so she can get that extra margin of comfort. Even now on warmer days she will have me turn her seat heat on low because the heated backrest feels good on her arthritic back. She loved it enough to ride all two lane highways from east Tennessee to Death Valley a couple of years ago. Before a trip she'll go to the used CD/book store and stock up on CDs to listen to. With the intercom, music and creature comforts, she doesn't mind riding at all. Can't get her on the RT at all, but she loves the LT.

Good luck finding your new bike. The ST is a great bike and that engine is to die for. Overall, I think you'll like the LT once you get it set up to your liking. Be sure to let us know what you got and pictures are always good. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in