Battery change and wire jungle clean up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Battery change and wire jungle clean up

Prior to leaving on my cross county ride to the BMWMOA rally I thought it prudent to change my original OEM BMW battery.

I firmly believe in the "if it ain't broke ,don't fix it" rule but discression being the better part of being stranded in Monument Valley I thought it worth the effort & expense.

Like most of us we have attached several add-ons to our positive & negative post, in my case I had 4, heated clothing, PIAA lights, a Ducati light mod and 2 additional lights. One can never have too much light! I had slowly grown a wire jungle under my seat.

The Tampa dealer sells a fuse block assembly, can't recall the trade name, to eliminate unnecessary connections to the positive post. Just one large gauge insulated wire with 6
fused locations to attach accessories.

I located the fuse block just behind and slightly below the ride adjustment assembly. The fuse block comes with 2, 3M double-stuck velcro type assemblies. I mounted the fuse block on the fender area of the rear tire.

The wire clean up was helped by my ability to remove all those bulky in-line fuse assemblies and replace them with ATC type fuses in the fuse block.

I hope the pictures are helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car & MC parts 036.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	26955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car & MC parts 037.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	26956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car & MC parts 038.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	26957  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Re: Battery change and wire jungle clean up

That looks good. I've got a similar situation, just delaying the inevitable. Too many accessories directly off of the battery. My before picture will be messy....

I bought a Fuze Blocks several months ago and have been waiting for the right inspiration. Maybe this weekend. Thanks for the push.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Dan:

Good to hear from you. Ya, I feel your pain. I looked at my fuse block for a month and finally dove in. At least there's no tupperware to remove.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post. I also purchased at AutoZone that spiral electrical wrap. Comes in 2 sizes about 3 feet long. Makes a nice loom of wires.

Good luck.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 7:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

After I installed my BlueSea fuse block I also added one of these! . It eliminated all the wires to the negative battery terminal as well.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 6 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 11:48 am

Paul, where/how did you mount the ground block? It has ear tabs with mounting holes and drilling a hole anywhere on this thing would likely give me the jitters.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 12:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Paul, where/how did you mount the ground block? It has ear tabs with mounting holes and drilling a hole anywhere on this thing would likely give me the jitters.

Loren
I used cable ties to the frame. With the other ground wires stiffening it up, it seems to stay in place A-OK.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in