So, I climbed up another rung on one ladder.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 5:58 am Thread Starter

So, I climbed up another rung on one ladder....

and topped out on another one!

Went for a ride yesterday and decided I would stop by the Columbia River to see how the salmon fishing was going. Weather conditions: Windy with sustained winds of 20 knots gusting to 28 knots. Parked between 2 pickups and walked to the edge of the river to get a good look. Returned to the bike to find that the bike was parked on an incline, nose down. Put her in reverse, backed out and as soon as the top case cleared the side of the pickup parked upwind she started over to starboard. No biggie! (BTW this was drop #3) No apparent damage, looked around, nobody looking, popped her to her feet and off I went!

Got to the distal end of my trip, opened the trunk to change gloves and I'll be danged, there was the vanity mirror laying in the bottom of a nearly empty top case. Seems the drop had a detrimental effect on the goofy little plastic hinge pins. Will stop by Home Depot today and get me a piano hinge. Gonna paint it black to fancy it up.

BTW, looks like we need to add crosswinds while parked to our list of things that will cause our bikes to take a nap!

Loren

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 6:05 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: So, I climbed up another rung on one ladder....

Loren ... That must have been a strong cross wind to knock the bike over with a side car on it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 7:36 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Loren sorry to hear she went down. Sounds like you approach it like me, no big deal, of course that is as long no one sees us

Still waiting on the dreaded Vanity Mirror to show and fix, I like your idea of painting it black.

Well if you did get it over with the side car I would like a pictures please

And man I am glad I did not have coffee in my mouth reading that post

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 12:18 am Thread Starter

Right you are Lee. With no apparent witnesses I can neither confirm nor deny any "alleged" LT drop!

Aye Steve! She were a brisk wind a blowin' she were! I hope I NEVER find a wind strong enough to blow the old girl over with the side car installed! Next stop Kansas!

Most know the feeling when she starts to go; your knee starts to quiver, then shake, (at which time you know the end is near), and finally the convulsive spasms just before you resign yourself to the inevitable! Interesting that the 3 times I've had it flop over I managed to somehow hit the kill switch. No conscious effort whatsoever it just happened.

When I pulled into the spot between the pickups I knew the wind was blowing but even at less than 5 mph maneuvering speed it was no big deal. Solid as a rock. At a standstill, however, as soon as the wind hit that huge cross section it was all over and the wind's old buddy Gravity finished the job!

Rode 480 miles two up today with nary a hint of disaster except for the moron who realized he was running a red light as soon as he was in the middle of the intersection. He locked up the rear wheel, started to fishtail, let off on the rear brake(sigh) and managed to keep his Harley(or Harley wannabe) shiny side up. The cross traffic just sat there and watched it unfold. This happened within the first 1/2 mile of the ride. Glad no one was hurt. Gotta love ABS!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Loren ... That must have been a strong cross wind to knock the bike over with a side car on it.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Smile Re: So, I climbed up another rung on one ladder....

Loren -

That was just the Gorge getting warmed up!

Denny
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 12:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Loren sorry to hear she went down. Sounds like you approach it like me, no big deal, of course that is as long no one sees us
That begs the question: If you drop your LT and there's no one there to see it, did it really fall?

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
That begs the question: If you drop your LT and there's no one there to see it, did it really fall?
and the related corollary: and did you make any noise picking up said LT that no one saw fall.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in