LT vs Goldwing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

LT vs Goldwing

OK, so I keep reading about how heavy the LT is and the issue of dropping. There are lots of heavy bikes out there. So why is the LT more susceptable to dropping than the Goldwing since they are about the same weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Re: LT vs Goldwing

Because the LT is more top heavy.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Sorry for the question. Just found an older thread with the same type of question.

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I just traded-in my '96 Goldwing for an '09 LT and find that the handling of the LT is vastly superior and the balance is not much different (I'm 6'0"). The newer Goldwings might have a lower center of gravity, so I'm only speaking about the '96 Wing. Good luck!

Last edited by Aequitas; Apr 5th, 2010 at 4:14 pm.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 4:13 pm

I've had both, and feel that the LT is a bike for being ridden - hard. It takes a little more concentration at low speed. If you just want to cruise around, Harley and Goldwing both fit the bill. If you want to "ride", the LT takes it hands down. Just really depends on what you want to do.
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

I appreciate the replys. My wife is jealous of my rode trips alone and wants to go along. I am picking up an 09 LT this week. Since my inseam is 30 in. I can almost flat foot except by about 1/2 inch. I thought about putting a low seat on until I get used to the bike. Any thoughts?
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 6:34 pm

My 2 cents. I am not so sure that the LT is all that much more prone to falling over than other Liter+ sized bikes. But this is an LT forum. You don't hear much about GW and HD here. Also, I have barely more than 29" on the inseam but when we are two-up, my feet hit fine, so you should be golden.

I am in favor of ATGATT. That includes a good pair of motorcycle boots that give you a good footing on the road way.

I have the '07 LT. I have dropped her four times, all under 2 mph. First time, when somebody helped me off the center stand when I was over a pile of sand at the curb. No footing, and down I went. Second time was on a stop sign on a rural road when I was way over to the right edge of the road paying no attention to how it curved down into the grass for drainage. Yup, no place to land the foot. Third time was when I was doing a U turn in in a very steeply angled parking lot, and could not get that new transmission into 1st gear, and when I finally ran out of momentum, I was not leaning uphill enough to recover. The last time was when I was directed into a parking lot down at U of I around the edge of a sawhorse. Unfortunately, I was only going about 2 MPH to get over the curb without bottoming out and found a 2 foot deep hole filled with loose gravel that the rear tire just dug into when it came over the curb.

The design of the LT keep my passenger and myself safe each time.

Those and 99% of all drops can be eliminated by:

1) Decent boots
2) Parking in 1st Gear all the time.
3) Especially when new, realize its a dry clutch, and never pull the clutch lever all the way back. Preload that next gear, up or down, and it will slip in when you barely disengage the gears. Older trans slip the gears in better, but when you pull the clutch lever all the way back, the trans stops and sometimes the gears do not mesh - when you need them too. The bike was just past its 600 mile oil change when I had the problem.
4) Paying attention. Probably only a little bit more than on smaller bikes. That is all that I would have needed to avoid three of those four drops. I never dropped my 80 Yamaha XS850, but it was broken in when I got it, And it was smaller. Riding an LT is like driving a larger boat - you have to pay attention and anticipate.

Knock on wood, its been two years since the LT has taken a rest. This forum helps, and its the help being extended that brings many of the "Drop" entries into the search. The MSF Extended Rider Course is a good idea if you can find an open slot. They usually have several classes on the days leading up to the BMW MOA national.

The bike rides like a dream, and leaning into curves two-up is no different on the LT that doing it one-up. My wife and I ride two up most of the time. Its a great bike for riding.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

WildBil

Thanks for the reply. You are right about ATGATT. My travel bag is full with my boots, pants, neon green jacket, helmet and two pair of gloves. I have decided to stay an extra day in the city I am picking the bike up and practice and get used to the bike before riding 900 miles home.

My wife sat on the RT and just didn't feel comfortable, but when she got on the LT she knew right away. If she decides to ride her own, who knows maybe I would trade the LT in for an RT, but hey, I haven't even rode long distances on the LT. Can't wait.

FYI your reply was the best I have seen on this forum. You make me feel much more comfortable.
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 7:53 pm

I also have a short inseam. Getting boots with thicker soles helped a lot. The other thing that helped was getting Jerry Palladino's "Ride Like A Pro" DVD.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I've had both, and feel that the LT is a bike for being ridden - hard. It takes a little more concentration at low speed. If you just want to cruise around, Harley and Goldwing both fit the bill. If you want to "ride", the LT takes it hands down. Just really depends on what you want to do.
Not really true. The new HD Ultra has a much better frame design and actually handles very well. It still needs a real engine though. The Wing already handles well. I have lots of miles on LTs and Wings. The LT does have a tad more clearance, but really doesn't handle any better - the high CG hurts it a little.

This isn't a bash the BMW post - just setting the record straight. I loved every minute riding theLTs - except for slow u-turns of course. The combinations of features and strengths that apply to you determine the best bike to get. You can argue them all day, but it doesn't really matter unless it's what you want.

2008 Honda Goldwing ABS - full race tech suspension
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Testastretta Tricolore - #83/400
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Bait the hole all you like, I ain't gonna bite
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 9:32 am

Well, I have never owned a gw, but, I've driven them and didn't care for the sensation. I prefer to ride a bike to driving it. I might have bought a gw...but I got this great 2000lt for $5800 with all the bells and whistles, lots of upgrades, feels like having something between my legs, rides really well, looks wonderful...I'm in love with the motorcycle. Money was a factor, fear of mechanical issues was a factor, so comfort was a factor...with 2 out of 3 positive and the other maybe a little over hyped...I bought this lt. No regrets. I love to look at it. I love to ride it. I love to read about others experiences with it. If I had unlimited toy money, I might have a gw, a st1300, a fjr1300 and a new concours to swap around with the lt....or not. It suits me pretty well after having had a lot of different bikes in the last 45 years of riding. Selecting a bike is a pretty personal thing, for me, this is it.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMike
OK, so I keep reading about how heavy the LT is and the issue of dropping. There are lots of heavy bikes out there. So why is the LT more susceptable to dropping than the Goldwing since they are about the same weight?
The only thing the LT is susceptible to is chronic inattention from the pilot.

Interestingly enough, there hundreds of us that have been riding LT's for 10 years now - and have NEVER dropped one.

With almost 180K on the clocks of the two I've owned they have only been on their sides twice. One got blown over by a wind gust during a speeding stop, and the other did a slow motion tip over after getting high centered on the skid plate on a rock on an off road trail. If I had a 34 inch inseam instead of a 29 inch I would still be sitting there trying to figure out what to do...

Does anyone make knobbies for the LT?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
The only thing the LT is susceptible to is chronic inattention from the pilot. +1....I read early on during my research to keep the front wheel as straight as possible and bike perpendicular to the road/pavement and use/lean your body....it helped on the multiple figure 8s in the Advanced MSF course! Oh, and don't just use one foot on the ground when you stop....planting two feet keeps the bike centered under you and both legs help provide balance!

Does anyone make knobbies for the LT?
Ron,
Are you sure you're not confusing the tire requirement for your GS? Off road'n with an LT....those paved AZ desert roads must be boring if you're venturing places where rocks bottom your bike out! YOU-B-DA-MAN!!

The only thing frustrating about the bike going over is the potential you'll break the "chromed" plastic on the side....that'll set you back $128 for a replacement! Too bad they're not made of something more resilient!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #15 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2010, 9:45 am

Hi there!

I just thought when I read this thread, that maybe the practise is the word! After the long winterperiod, am I also thinking of "if it happens" or "I just got to plan the parking" and so on. But maybe we just have to practise, everybody, you with the HD, GW and LT. That is the only way to be clear with your bike. And it can happen even you with 200 000 miles

Good luck! I hope I can drive a little after two weeks or so, we got 10 inches snow but he roads are almost clear now...

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in