battery change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 7:28 am Thread Starter

battery change

I recently changed out the battery. After new battery went in, I reset the Motronic like it said by cranking the throttle 2 times. It started right up after the new battery was installed. after running on idle for about a minute, I took it off the center stand, it started coughing real bad. Put the center stand back up and shut her down. Waited a couple of minutes and ran fine. about a week later, the same thing happened while still on the center stand. I had it a major service done last fall before I put her down for the winter. Any help????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 7:39 am

Re: battery change

Happened to me on a different bike, some years ago. Could possibly be water in the gas. I put in Seafoam occasionally in the gas, and especially over winter. Try adding some or possibly new gas. A mechanic told me gas will stay fresh for several years with it.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 7:42 am Thread Starter

will try thx.. i use it for my car too. i did top off the tank before putting her to bed. she's a 2005

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 8:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you haven't pulled your charcoal cannister check the vent tube at the rear of the right side case for blockage. Sometimes insects like to winter over in there. You can also check for blockage by unscrewing the gas cap when this happens. Any negative pressure in the tank indicates blockage and will make a "whoosh" when the cap is unscrewed. Or, if you have a second key, just unscrew the cap when it starts having problems. It will smooth right out if that's the issue. Also if you over-filled the tank you will get the same symptoms until the liquid evaporates out of the charcoal cannister.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in