LT's poor re-sale value? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

LT's poor re-sale value?

So I've been trying to sell my 2003 lt for 8months now - KBB value say 8700 I'm at 6999
how much more of a hit do I need to take to get rid of it? Would have though the BMW flagship would hold some value - guess I was wrong. Your thoughts?
Bike pics and specs can be seen here -
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1666915771.html

TBob
09 R1200 GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Re: LT's poor re-sale value?

We are in tough times......I know many friends who have been unemployed for a year or two.
Recession = is when your friend is unemployed.
Depression = is when you are unemployed.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #3 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 4:19 pm

I have been flamed for this here before, but your ad needs some help. First add words like motorcycle, bike, touring, etc. I would also add search term like Gold Wing, Concourse, Ultra Classic and other similar bikes. Simply make a list of relevant search words and put them in parentheses at the bottom of the listing. Donít worry about what the other posters will scream about how unethical this is. You want to maximize your ad's exposure and be on a level playing field.

As for resale value, I have stated before, I have never owned anything with the exception of a pair of shoes that has devalued so much so fast. I think you should be able to get your asking price and more if you change the ad a little and find other places for it such as ebay. Stay away from Cycle Trader, the site is horrible and the staff are all idiots.

post #4 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 4:21 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob
So I've been trying to sell my 2003 lt for 8months now - KBB value say 8700 I'm at 6999
how much more of a hit do I need to take to get rid of it? Would have though the BMW flagship would hold some value - guess I was wrong. Your thoughts?
Bike pics and specs can be seen here -
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1666915771.html
Nice bike, very good price, especially with the extended warranty. Probably the least desirable color but it should sell for 7k for sure.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks - yea that's what I keep thinking, it must be the color.
Guy called me from northern Nevada and sounds like he wants to buy it - I'll keep my fingers X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Nice bike, very good price, especially with the extended warranty. Probably the least desirable color but it should sell for 7k for sure.

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #6 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 5:26 pm

KBB prices are overinflated.

NADA guide is closer to what you can expect. It shows 03 LT-C at 7065 avg retail. You're not taking a "hit" yet at your asking price.

Good luck with the sale.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 5:33 pm

If you take the Amsoil reference out, it will sell in a heartbeat. *
Good luck, it will sell as we get into spring.

* This is an inside joke: Depending how long you have hung around here, you will get it or not.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #8 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Currently it is a buyer's market. Now is the time to buy a used Porsche for the same reason you are buying an LT: luxury vehicles.
If you are selling, you are taking a hit; this is similar to the stock market.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 6:56 pm
CMV

I just bought an '03 LT, same color, 88k miles, in showroom condition, from a BMW dealer, with all the bells & whistles (I guess so anyway GPS, CB, etc).

I paid almost a grand less OTD (w/ tax & tag) than what you're asking. I'm in a different part of the country & my bike has 30k more miles so I'd guess you're pretty close to a reasonable price. Esp if you're like most sellers & willing to negotiate a few $.

Around here, this is the beginning of the riding season & bikes are starting to move from both dealers & private individuals. This is the time to sell. My old bike sold in less than 12 hrs on craigslist a couple weeks ago.

I also agree it's totally a buyer's market for any type luxury vehicles right now. Just picked up a Mercedes Benz E350 this weekend for a steal. This was from a M-B dealer & I got a better deal than I could have from a private individual.

You gotta think there's lots of people out there who could barely afford this stuff to begin with that have faced income loss or reduction over the past couple years. Expensive or indulgent things are first to go. You're competing with the guy with a similar bike who has to sell it to make next month's mortgage or put dinner on the table - he doesn't care as much about getting what's fair - he just has to get it sold.

So really, you decide "at anything less than $X, I'd rather just keep it", & just hope for the best.

Cycle Trader around here is popular. Lots of dealers & individuals use it. I found my bikes that way but didn't consider using them to sell since the ads start around $50. Maybe you're at the point where you need to expand beyond craigslist though - after 8 months it might be worth the fee to try Cycle Trader or eBay?
post #10 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 12:31 am

Keep your chin up dude--spring is arriving after a hard winter...the old bug will be biting real hard soon!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #11 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 7:13 am

I think some of the devaluation problem is the bad rap the LT has gotten in the press for high maintenance costs and final drive failures. True the economy is in the tank right, but I've been looking at ads for Wings and they aren't taking nearly the hit the BMW's are. And it seems to be every BMW taking the hit, not just the LT.

BTW, if you were a tad closer, I'd jump on that bike for $7K.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #12 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 9:04 am

+1 about the advert, try ebay LOTS of picures, BIG description, make it easy for people to buy and they will, keep on about all the goodies the LT has as standard.
Best of luck

Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #13 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 9:59 am

Pheonix got hit hard with the economy. Regardless the resale value of the LT stinks. Unless you are going to keep it for a long time, it's not worth buying new.

02 LT
post #14 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
If you take the Amsoil reference out, it will sell in a heartbeat. *
Good luck, it will sell as we get into spring.

* This is an inside joke: Depending how long you have hung around here, you will get it or not.
Boy, you've got guts!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #15 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 12:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: LT's poor re-sale value?

Hey, I'll give you bad resale value. A friend was telling me about his Mercedes wagon. Almost 500 hp, 6? built and was a $100k auto 2 years ago. He bought it for $30k. $70k loss in 2 years.
That's bad!!

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #16 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I think some of the devaluation problem is the bad rap the LT has gotten in the press for high maintenance costs and final drive failures. True the economy is in the tank right, but I've been looking at ads for Wings and they aren't taking nearly the hit the BMW's are. And it seems to be every BMW taking the hit, not just the LT.

BTW, if you were a tad closer, I'd jump on that bike for $7K.
There are still people that you meet who say "I didn't know that BMW makes motorcycles". Maybe that and lack of dealer exposure has something to do with it.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #17 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 2:40 pm

I once saw a list of the things that depreciate the fastest after purchase. I believe the BMW motorcycles were listed in fourth place behind diamond rings, computers, and toilet plungers....in that order.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #18 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 2:50 pm

I have seen prices topple in the last two years. Indicative of the times we live in--many people have put purchasing a bike on the back burner.
post #19 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 3:09 pm

I've had good luck with Craigslist for small items, but I've found it's a magnet for scams when trying to sell vehicles. Do you have it advertised anywhere else? If not...and if this Nevada lead doesn't pan out, you might consider eBay and/or CycleTrader.com. I mean no disrespect, but Craigslist is not the first place I'd look if I were in the market for touring bike. Best of luck

P.S. - I happen to like the color...certainly better than a few of the other LT colors (I won't mention them here).

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #20 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 3:14 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
I've had good luck with Craigslist for small items, but I've found it's a magnet for scams when trying to sell vehicles. Do you have it advertised anywhere else? If not...and if this Nevada lead doesn't pan out, you might consider eBay and/or CycleTrader.com. I mean no disrespect, but Craigslist is not the first place I'd look if I were in the market for touring bike. Best of luck

P.S. - I happen to like the color...certainly better than a few of the other LT colors (I won't mention them here).

I've sold items on CL from $20 bucks up to $30k boats and trucks. It's simple and easy if you know what you're doing.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #21 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 8:19 pm

Quote:

I sold two bikes on Craigslist and bought my LT from there too. I never have had any luck with Cycletrader but I know many do.

To the OP: You still do not have the word "Motorcycle" any where in your ad.
post #22 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 9:34 pm

This is a perfect example of perspective! I would think that your Mercedes wagon driving friend would think a $70,000 loss over 2 years to be good! Very very good!

I have never found that "new car smell" to be so intoxicating that I would be willing to take the depreciation hit. I have purchased one brand new car in my life at age 19.. A small Ford Courier pickup. Drove it nearly 200,000 miles and sold it to buy a 4 door car when our (now 27 year old) son was born.

Same with my LT. Bought low mileage and old for about 1/3 the price of a new one! Plan is to keep it until the wheels fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
Hey, I'll give you bad resale value. A friend was telling me about his Mercedes wagon. Almost 500 hp, 6? built and was a $100k auto 2 years ago. He bought it for $30k. $70k loss in 2 years.

Loren
That's bad!!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #23 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 8:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
.. and how about trying to sell a bike with a "palamino" seat? I think it's time to get my pedicure...

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #24 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
I have been flamed for this here before, but your ad needs some help. First add words like motorcycle, bike, touring, etc. I would also add search term like Gold Wing, Concourse, Ultra Classic and other similar bikes. Simply make a list of relevant search words and put them in parentheses at the bottom of the listing. Donít worry about what the other posters will scream about how unethical this is. You want to maximize your ad's exposure and be on a level playing field.

As for resale value, I have stated before, I have never owned anything with the exception of a pair of shoes that has devalued so much so fast. I think you should be able to get your asking price and more if you change the ad a little and find other places for it such as ebay. Stay away from Cycle Trader, the site is horrible and the staff are all idiots.
I agree, it's about marketing. Example:

Blind boy setting on the library steps with a sign that says, "I'm blind" and a hat for contributions. Hat is almost empty when a man approaches and askes if he can change the boy's sign. Boy agrees and the man turns over the sign, writes something and leaves. He comes back two hours later and the hat is overflowing with money. The sign now reads, "It's a beautiful day; but I can see it". Says the same thing; but it's all about the sizzle, not the steak.
post #25 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:38 pm

My 2003 K1200LT hasn't cost me much at all in maintenance and repairs. Just the usual stuff like tires, one battery, and the scheduled maintenance. Other than that, it hasn't cost alot to ride. I know I got a good bike in good condition and happy with it. I don't know why it's said they are expensive to maintain.

GDR
post #26 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot
The sign now reads, "It's a beautiful day; but I can see it". Says the same thing; but it's all about the sizzle, not the steak.
"It's a beautiful day, but I can't see it."

I like the color much better than the yellow and the green.....

Most 7 year old bikes aren't going to keep more than a third of their value. At 10% a year you are at 30%. I think you need to be more patient and expand your exposure. I don't think the price was ever the issue.

The two I have sold were on eBay. But you have to have faith that you have it represented well enough to get what it's worth. I sold my 7 year old RS for 8K three years ago.... when times were arguably worse. I think the value of your bike is closer to 8 than 7 myself. But you have to sell it. Anyone who knows LTs can read your add and know what it is.... others I fear would have no idea what they are looking at. "That guy" is the one who will give you $8,500 in an eBay auction......

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #27 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

I like the color too - I think it looks very classy and the darker brown makes the chrome pop more. In my opinion it's alot better that that washed out Champagne color, never liked that at all. Looks like something my grandma would want for her cadilac.

Quote:

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

post #28 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Most 7 year old bikes aren't going to keep more than a third of their value. At 10% a year you are at 30%. I think you need to be more patient and expand your exposure. I don't think the price was ever the issue.
haha.
Try buying any 7yo H-D for 33% of original price.
example: 2003 FLHRCI - list $17,640: avg retail - $10,010 (which is much lower than you could ever really buy one for).
That's 57%. I'd expect other H-D models to be in the same ballpark.

But if you bought a bike concerned about the resale value, you didn't really buy a bike to ride....you bought one just to say you have one too.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #29 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
haha.
Try buying any 7yo H-D for 33% of original price.
example: 2003 FLHRCI - list $17,640: avg retail - $10,010 (which is much lower than you could ever really buy one for).
That's 57%. I'd expect other H-D models to be in the same ballpark.

But if you bought a bike concerned about the resale value, you didn't really buy a bike to ride....you bought one just to say you have one too.
There are certainly exceptions... though I doubt you would find a buyer for a 7 yo HD with 50K on it (or an HD with 50K on it LOL) at 57%.

I should have clarified (well ridden) 7 year old bike.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #30 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob
I like the color too - I think it looks very classy and the darker brown makes the chrome pop more. In my opinion it's alot better that that washed out Champagne color, never liked that at all. Looks like something my grandma would want for her Caddilac.
I'm not a fan of Champagne either...what were those German's thinking when they came up with that one??

Maybe update your Craiglist posting and call your color "Tit-Nipple" brown.....and see if that sparks any interest!! Sorry couldn't resist. Best of luck bro.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #31 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:35 pm

I don't think it's your bike or your price.....just today's economy....you know...all that "hope and change" stuff. BTW...hows that working out for you???

I've had my Triumph Rocket III up for sale for over a year now with no takers. Guess I'd just rather keep it and have two bikes than to give it away.

Good luck!

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #32 of 36 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:02 pm

Hope and Change is going very well for me - just bought a 2009 K1200LT - great dealer incentives! The economy is improving and the future is looking brighter than a year ago. However, used motorcycle prices are not holding up very well across all brands (thank your lucky stars you're not trying to sell a boat). Had to sell my '96 Goldwing for a few thousand less than what it would have gone for a year or two ago. The good news is that I'm now riding a BMW and smiling just thinking about it!

BTW, my 2009 LT only cost $4,000 more than the price of my Wing in 1996. That's a helluva bargain IMHO.

Last edited by Aequitas; Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:09 pm.
post #33 of 36 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 3:32 am

Nicely done! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas
Hope and Change is going very well for me - just bought a 2009 K1200LT - great dealer incentives! The economy is improving and the future is looking brighter than a year ago. However, used motorcycle prices are not holding up very well across all brands (thank your lucky stars you're not trying to sell a boat). Had to sell my '96 Goldwing for a few thousand less than what it would have gone for a year or two ago. The good news is that I'm now riding a BMW and smiling just thinking about it!

BTW, my 2009 LT only cost $4,000 more than the price of my Wing in 1996. That's a helluva bargain IMHO.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #34 of 36 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

it's not and that's why i didn't vote for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
I don't think it's your bike or your price.....just today's economy....you know...all that "hope and change" stuff. BTW...hows that working out for you???

I've had my Triumph Rocket III up for sale for over a year now with no takers. Guess I'd just rather keep it and have two bikes than to give it away.

Good luck!

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

post #35 of 36 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 2:13 pm Thread Starter

improving? I must have missed that somewhere. Some interesting reading
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/sp...ce=patrick.net

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._year_from_now

but hey on the bright side we do have change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

post #36 of 36 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 3:26 pm

Me, I'm happy with my 09LT as long as the shimmy problem is solved, soon. I'm happy cuz the wife is starting to ride with me after all these years. The LT is the one she picked out. I've agreed to drive for her- SMART. I imagine we'll keep it a long time, no intention of selling for she thinks it as the best ergo's for the pillion. The Wing was too wide.
But really, what bike holds it's value?
"Ride like you stole it"

Kaw ZX12R Ninja
05 GS ADV
07 GS ADV- Iron Butt, Copper Canyon
09 LT

Jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in