BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Steering damper seals

19K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  RABlvmy88 
#1 ·
Has anyone been able to source the seals for the steering damper. I have searched all over without any luck.

Thanks,

#7 ·
Good day sir, I just bought the seals that you mentioned, the number upgrades now to10x20x7 hmsa10rg. I bought 6 of them. but they do not work. I tried many times, but each time I put hard presure on the dampner the oil spurts out. I am a retired BMW master tech with 45 years of doing this. What am I doing wrong. I have to fix it now, I got so pissed off I went and bought a new gtl 1600. So I am now selling the LT. The seal brand is also an skf.

Joe Krebs

#5 ·
Don't waste your time resealing a stock stearing damper because it isn't a good damper to begin with. I suggest a Hyperpro variable. I installed one, last year, and the results are remarkable. Scarified grooves no longer exist. Steel bridges aren't noticeable. It does take a while to get the settings adjusted to your riding style, but IMHO the Hyperpro is as good as it gets and well worth the money it costs a the time it takes to set it up properly.

#6 ·
Hi Guys

I have 2004 and how to fill it in i have ride 40389.127 mi.to be exact,, i live in Thailand so i need to do everything by my self,, no BMW good service here,,Im originally FINNISH rally driver
my damper seems to be very loosen and not getting stiff at all even it's tighten up all the way in (Clock wise tighten) :confused:

#9 ·
I rebuilt my 2000 damper with harwell seals. 20x10x7.....$5.34 each...used 7.5wt fork oil. Fill slowly and actuate to insure all air is out....reassembled and works great. I have two others as spares. Very easy to do with those seals

#11 ·
I just ordered seals for my bike. When I took the old seal out I found it to be a KACO lip seal. The number was OHWA 10 . 20 . 7/8.5 VGF01 . This is the original seal that came with the bike. I called Accent Bearing in Addison, Il. and told them what I need for seals for the steering damper. They told me they could get that exact seal. I ordered two but will report back to the group to let you know price and how I like them.

#16 ·
For what its worth I just rebuild a damper for a guy and used these seals BocaBearings . They were 6.95 each and although they were not exact replacements they appear to be working just fine. I replaced no other parts as all the little o-rings were reusable.

#17 ·
Ken, I am not speaking italian but I asked a friend which does , to call monday the Rinaldi shop in Italy and request the prices for seals and o-rings, and options for payment and shipping. I will let you know as soon as possible. I am also interested in buying a set . My steering damper is not leaking yet but is better to have the parts .

#19 ·
Gary,

I damaged the original torx head bolt and ended up drilling it out. I did replace it with an Allen head M8 x 45 from the local hardware store. Tried a hex head but that restricted the movement of the damper.

#20 ·
For european riders,
an adress in Germany for the original seals:
muenchen@michl.de

The seal type is:

Typenbezeichnung KACO 73839099
10x20x7
Innendurchmesser : 10mm
Ausendurchmesser: 20mm
Höhe: 7mm (8,5 inkl Schutzabstreifer)

I bought a pair 3 yers ago. They work OK since.

Bruno

Reactions: sailor
#22 ·
Sometimes google translate makes me chuckle like how it translated your name from Ken Child to Ken Bambino.

I have a German friend who's last name is Keller & google translated it to Basement.

#23 ·
All: Late to this post, after reading all the information I followed the links and suggestions here and continued my search. I disassembled my steering stabilizer as an investigation and found the original manufacturer which I believe someone in this thread indicated "KACO OHWA 10.20.7/8.5 VGF01", started the search and found two possible solutions, currently inquiring technical data and 3D CAD from "Boca Bearing" After I receive an review the data, purchase the seals and rebuild the stabilizer, I'll let you all know how it works out.

What I believe to be the correct seal

Attachments

Reactions: Boxhead
#24 ·
That BOCA seal is likely not the " correct" part but it may work under light to medium duty. The OEM KACO seal is a piston seal meaning that shaft is meant to slide in and out under pressure and the BOCA seal and all others I found that size are listed as a rotational seal meant to have the shaft rotate and not slide in and out under pressure. This particular page on the BOCA seal does not specify piston or rotational but I believe it is rotational. The lip on the piston seals is much thicker to prevent lip inversion and blow out under pressure and in out shaft movement. As John said, it will fit and work but may blow out if it gets into heavy duty operation as the seal was not meant to have those forces of in and out motion or high pressure. At that point it won't be any better than a damper that all the oil has leaked out of but will work fine up to that point. I used a similar one on my rebuild and have also had no issue to date, just know that it could blow out if placed under the right more severe conditions and the damping would be gone. For an LT under most street conditions, these would probably be OK to use. For off road, I might rethink using them.

#25 · (Edited)

Attachments

#26 ·
The image shown for that link is a 12x25x7 so not the right size but if it was, would probably work as well as any rotational seal. 10x20x7 is the size you need if yiou are talking an LT damper.

#34 ·
Update. I received my damper seals from metric seals mentioned above and they do appear to be the correct part if you are inclined to pay the price. they are a more robust seal than the standard buna replacements so if you don't feel those will serve your needs, order them from metric Seals. Here are some side by side comparison shots for you to use to make your decision. Black is the double lip rotational seal available on Amazon and other places for around $6. Blue is the Kayko piston seal at $27.10 each plus shipping.

Attachments

Reactions: Boxhead and Voyager
#36 ·
Just rebuilt mine with the Metric Seal parts recommended in this thread. A bit difficult to get the old seals out, but they seem to be perfect replacements. Now my challenge is to find the right oil. Having a hard time finding simple 5W oil. I tried some 5W fork oil, but it seems a bit too stiff. But the Metric Seals work great.

#38 ·
I used 5W fork oil and it was fine. As John said, it needs that small air pocket. When you say too stiff, is that working it by hand or back on the bike? It should move back and forth slowly with not much force but when you try and move it quickly, it will get very stiff and hard to move if it is filled correctly.

#37 ·
If it is too stiff you may not have the air pocket between the little piston and the end of the rod.

Plus it will feel different once mounted on the bike. Slow movement should show no resistance where rapid movement will show resistance.

Attachments

Reactions: beech
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.