Pictures of your LT's cockpit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 12:32 am Thread Starter

Pictures of your LT's cockpit

I have been searching old threads hoping to see how some of you more experienced LT riders have your cockpit set-up. I have tracked down only a few...so, I thought I would appeal to the whole forum to show me your pride and joy...(and I do mean your LT's cockpit and nothing else!)

So, any pictures would be appreciated and yes I have seen the Farkle King's set-up--(whew! I am a simple man and Ari's set-up left my head spinning)

Thanks in advance!!

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Re: Pictures of your LT's cockpit

My 05' cockpit left to right: EZ Pass on the left winglet, IPhone ram mount (phone in use for picture), Garmin 376C, compass, Garmin 378, V-1 in Hontoon box with Spot Tracker attached on top, all mounted a BMR shelf and a SunPass on the right winglet. I have the remote and audio interface for the V-1 mounted under the BMR shelf, the GPS's are mounted to the shelf with TourTech locking mounts. Various switches are located near the headlight adjuster.

Everything is right up front, easy to glance at without leaving sight of the road.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Cockpit 002.JPG
Views:	985
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	26775  

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #3 of 39 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 11:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Chuck. A great looking set-up, I noticed that you have auxiliary mirrors mounted on your winglets...what is the brand and how do they mount? Are they drilled through the winglet or clamped on..?

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #4 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 12:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
My 05' cockpit left to right: EZ Pass on the left winglet, IPhone ram mount (phone in use for picture), Garmin 376C, compass, Garmin 378, V-1 in Hontoon box with Spot Tracker attached on top, all mounted a BMR shelf and a SunPass on the right winglet. I have the remote and audio interface for the V-1 mounted under the BMR shelf, the GPS's are mounted to the shelf with TourTech locking mounts. Various switches are located near the headlight adjuster.

Everything is right up front, easy to glance at without leaving sight of the road.

Chuck
1 2 3 4.... 4 GPS devices?

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #5 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 5:06 am

Wade, a photo of mine is available in any brochure - because it's just as it left the factory. If I wanted a Christmas tree I'd have a Harley or a Wing.
post #6 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 7:56 am

L to R
MP3 player, GPS, Radar Detecter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Farkles.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	972.0 KB
ID:	26777  

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #7 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 8:07 pm

I was not very happy with the store bought gps mounts so I make my own out of some old plexiglas. It is a Garmin 760 and mounted it at the perfect height and is rain protected. I used the Garmin mount inside and can be easily released by hidden release button. I leave it on all the time wherever I go. Harold
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DA.JPG
Views:	2182
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	26780   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB.JPG
Views:	837
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	26781  

'05 K1200 LT
93 R100 gspd
'94 Honda PC800
'76 BMW R75
'76 Suzuki GT500
'69 Benz 280SL
post #8 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Like this ..... tho now a Smartire display under right side and camera mount on top of right side shelf.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LT console shots #2 002.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	26782  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #9 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 10:05 pm
Enjoy The Ride

This is my current cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Cockpit 09 005.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	832.4 KB
ID:	26784   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Cockpit 09 002.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	860.9 KB
ID:	26785   Click image for larger version

Name:	RTE Texas 2010 020.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	821.2 KB
ID:	26786  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Which one tells you how deep the fish are?

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #11 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the pictures--and even to highroamer...I appreciate the candid opinion. I have a ram mount for my GPS that came with my bike but I prefer the GPS to be in front of me, close to my line of sight... ...not on the handlebar.

Looks like a lot of you use some sort of shelf for mounting your devices on...what bolts do they anchor to?

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #12 of 39 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold-NY
I was not very happy with the store bought gps mounts so I make my own out of some old plexiglas.
Harold,

Your mount is sweet ...for being 'old plexiglas' you did a great job. Was that labor intensive? It looks like factory work to me...

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #13 of 39 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 1:12 am

Mine a custom taking the idea of a production shelf, them made so GPS sit lower and shelve surrounds it adding more usable space.
Wind screen side has two support legs that attach to top covers anchor screws. Up front side i placed 2 short carbon fiber rods as anti shake supports ... very stable on the road BTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Thanks for all the pictures--and even to highroamer...I appreciate the candid opinion. I have a ram mount for my GPS that came with my bike but I prefer the GPS to be in front of me, close to my line of sight... ...not on the handlebar.

Looks like a lot of you use some sort of shelf for mounting your devices on...what bolts do they anchor to?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camera mount.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	26788   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT console shots #2 004.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	26789   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT console shots #2 001.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	26790  

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #14 of 39 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 8:15 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
I was not very happy with the store bought gps mounts so I make my own out of some old plexiglas. It is a Garmin 760 and mounted it at the perfect height and is rain protected. I used the Garmin mount inside and can be easily released by hidden release button. I leave it on all the time wherever I go. Harold
Damn now that is a nice Job !!! Looks like it could be a factory made unit.

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 39 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Up front side i placed 2 short carbon fiber rods as anti shake supports ...
Motorhead are those carbon fiber rods hard to come by? Your bike is the second one I've seen with those...

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #16 of 39 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
This is my current cockpit.
Finally, with those pics I understand why one would want/need more than one gps unit.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #17 of 39 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Pictures of your LT's cockpit

I spent about 12 hours making it. 1st I made a cardboard template. Then cut plexiglas to size and used a dremal tool to custom fit edges. I used a thicker piece on the front side so that I could sand it down to make it curve with the dash. I got the paint from Pep boys (Plast-kote truck&sport utility color 1518 Gunmetal) and it matched up very nicely. I will be at the Spring Training Camp April 14, 15, 16. Hope to meet all you great guys and gals there. Harold
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S1.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	26792   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	26793   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	26794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	26795  

'05 K1200 LT
93 R100 gspd
'94 Honda PC800
'76 BMW R75
'76 Suzuki GT500
'69 Benz 280SL
post #18 of 39 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 8:32 pm

My 03...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	620.4 KB
ID:	26796  

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #19 of 39 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 1:48 am

Just pieces cut to length from a longer section. Carbon arrow shaft is ideal
A small daub of Shoe goop type adhesive on each end, some dry time and wala ... no shelve shakes.

Quote:
Motorhead are those carbon fiber rods hard to come by? Your bike is the second one I've seen with those...

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #20 of 39 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 10:04 am

Quote:
I spent about 12 hours making it. 1st I made a cardboard template. Then cut plexiglas to size and used a dremal tool to custom fit edges. I used a thicker piece on the front side so that I could sand it down to make it curve with the dash. I got the paint from Pep boys (Plast-kote truck&sport utility color 1518 Gunmetal) and it matched up very nicely. I will be at the Spring Training Camp April 14, 15, 16. Hope to meet all you great guys and gals there. Harold
I've got to say, that's pretty cool!
post #21 of 39 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 10:58 am
CMV

I've gotta ask......

What's the purpose of multiple GPS units?
post #22 of 39 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:05 am

Quote:
Wow Harold! That looks like it came from the factory that way. Great job.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #23 of 39 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 4:40 pm

Excellent. BMW should have done this!

Quote:

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #24 of 39 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 7:12 am

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Chuck. A great looking set-up, I noticed that you have auxiliary mirrors mounted on your winglets...what is the brand and how do they mount? Are they drilled through the winglet or clamped on..?
The mirrors on the winglets are from Saeng, they are very good quality and take care of the LT blind spot.

http://www.saeng.com/

Chuck

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #25 of 39 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 4:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMV
What's the purpose of multiple GPS units?
Redundancy, basically. I can leave one set on the next turn or two, and the other zoomed way out. So when I need gas I can look down and see that there's a town 50-100 miles ahead, then I can call up a list of gas stations and instantly know what's there.

I also do a lot of Long Distance Rallies, where efficiently solving the time/distance/location equation makes a huge difference in how well you place.

So I can leave one on a base route, and with the other I can run scenarios, adding and subtracting way points and roads and see exactly how it affects my overall time. I can instantly tell if I'm ahead of schedule, or behind, or if I have enough time to detour for something else.

Not that big of a deal on a Sunday ride, but when crossing several states in a day on a very tight time schedule it gives me a lot of options.

As for the third GPS, that was picked up in some podunk Kansas town when both of my normal GPS units started going flaky in the middle of a very long ride. Remember that redundancy thing . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 39 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
As for the third GPS, that was picked up in some podunk Kansas town when both of my normal GPS units started going flaky in the middle of a very long ride. Remember that redundancy thing . . .
Podunk? That's a little to close to my house partner...

Seriously though, your cockpit looks like it's a second home...many hours logged there?

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #27 of 39 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 1:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Podunk? That's a little to close to my house partner…
Actually I think it was Hays, so at least a good couple hours or so from you. I was on my way to the Barbed Wire Museum in LaCrosse to soak up a little local culture.

Quote:
Seriously though, your cockpit looks like it's a second home...many hours logged there?
Well, with 115K miles in 3 years, you could say that . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #28 of 39 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 3:45 am

Meese, do you run these scenarios while going down the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Redundancy, basically. I can leave one set on the next turn or two, and the other zoomed way out. So when I need gas I can look down and see that there's a town 50-100 miles ahead, then I can call up a list of gas stations and instantly know what's there.

I also do a lot of Long Distance Rallies, where efficiently solving the time/distance/location equation makes a huge difference in how well you place.

So I can leave one on a base route, and with the other I can run scenarios, adding and subtracting way points and roads and see exactly how it affects my overall time. I can instantly tell if I'm ahead of schedule, or behind, or if I have enough time to detour for something else.

Not that big of a deal on a Sunday ride, but when crossing several states in a day on a very tight time schedule it gives me a lot of options.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #29 of 39 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 1:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I know I do... when I'm not texting etc.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #30 of 39 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 1:52 pm

Ghaison, I think you see where I was heading. I immediately thought of the wreck last weekend in Phoenix, AZ. Add in the fatigue from hours on the road and it seems like it would be fairly high risk. Although I would imagine that much of his time is spent in rural areas. Where the deer and the elk play alongside the roads...........

Harold, I gotta tell ya. I have looked at your GPS housing 4 times. A very very nice custom job. You mentioned that you used your Dremel to form the edges. Did you use sanding drums and then finish by hand? I want one of those housings! Sweeeet!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
I know I do... when I'm not texting etc.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #31 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 12:02 am

Here is my cockpit /farcles ; heck the entire travel system for my LT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRQoAj5BXc

Dave
post #32 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 7:15 am

Dave,

Looks like a nice set up and I like the hydration system you installed. I'd be a little concerned about the bungees though as they have been know to come loose and fling gear under the rear wheel. Just anecdotal, as I personally haven't had it happen to me.

I was convinced to go to the ROK straps and they seem to be more secure and hold a little better than bungees.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #33 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 8:19 am

Hang on to those 376's guys. I just switched to a 640 and it pails in comparison.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #34 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Dan,
I' know exactly what your saying.

The two bags are strapped in independantly with their own straps, under the luggage rack and around the sides. The front one is also secured to the side case handles. No Bungies are required to hold the gear on.

The bungies are used to secure the Net, and of course, the net is able to stay on itself.

But; yes..; agreed; Best not to use them in the future. I've got 2ROK straps, but the bungies were much quicker when needing to access whats under the net, and for putting things I want easily (LIke lunch or water bottel).

Finally, the camel back also serves as a nice backrest ; and cold too ;-)

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Dave,

Looks like a nice set up and I like the hydration system you installed. I'd be a little concerned about the bungees though as they have been know to come loose and fling gear under the rear wheel. Just anecdotal, as I personally haven't had it happen to me.

I was convinced to go to the ROK straps and they seem to be more secure and hold a little better than bungees.
post #35 of 39 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 6:54 am

I just installed this dash and added a new Sirius Sportster 5. The empty slot on the right is where the Valentine One was supposed to go but someone decided they needed it more than me .

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #36 of 39 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker
I just installed this dash and added a new Sirius Sportster 5. The empty slot on the right is where the Valentine One was supposed to go but someone decided they needed it more than me .
Nice set-up. Sorry, to hear about the loss of your radar detector --that brings up one of my chief concerns with having all of this out in the open--it takes time to put it all away under lock and key or run the risk of light fingers. I know there are some products that help secure your gps, satellite radio, etc. but even then if someone wanted it bad enough they could take it. I practice out of sight--out of mind and have actually covered the bike before when my better half and I have gotten off to walk around so she can shop. Probably just paranoid but I cannot relax otherwise.

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #37 of 39 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 12:08 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Ever cross Kansas, or Nebraska, or Nevada, or Montana? Trust me, there's a whole lotta nothin' out there . . .

I once heard a race car driver say that family cars shouldn't even have radios, as they're too distracting. And we were cut off just this afternoon by a mom on a cell phone (yes, you do have to look both ways before pulling out . . . ), although we were in my wife's car at the time.

But just like everyone has a different tolerance for their maximum safe speed, folks have different tolerances for distractions and multitasking. The trick is knowing what you can safely do in any given circumstance. And, more importantly, what you can't (which is where most people fail, actually).

And yes, if I need to do something that's very intensive, I can pull off the highway to a safe spot, do my calculations, then get back on the road without ever getting off the bike. But if it's just adding or subtracting a waypoint or two, and I'm not in L.A. or N.Y. traffic, well then it's really a judgement call, based on current conditions and my own extensive riding experience.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #38 of 39 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 6:49 am

Quote:
Nice set-up. Sorry, to hear about the loss of your radar detector --that brings up one of my chief concerns with having all of this out in the open--it takes time to put it all away under lock and key or run the risk of light fingers. I know there are some products that help secure your gps, satellite radio, etc. but even then if someone wanted it bad enough they could take it. I practice out of sight--out of mind and have actually covered the bike before when my better half and I have gotten off to walk around so she can shop. Probably just paranoid but I cannot relax otherwise.
Actually, the detector was lifted out of my truck...along with my satellite radio and my work tools.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #39 of 39 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker
Actually, the detector was lifted out of my truck...along with my satellite radio and my work tools.

OUCH!!

Wade

99 K-1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in