OK: Stupid Oil Change Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

OK: Stupid Oil Change Question

I am about to do my first oil change on my 09' lt. I have all the items needed (I think) including instructions.

I have two questions:
#1 will my oil filter wrench from my 04' 1150rt work on the LT filter?, Dealer says is will but we all know the knowledge here is most often just as or more accurate. plus you will clearly see in question two why I have no confidence in the local dealers

#2: the instruction cleary state "loosen bolts on filter cover and allow oil to drain"

I called two dealer and asked "why is there oil there when its a cannister filter? and How does the oil in this area get back up into the block? Both responded "it just does"

So I put it to the masses -there must be a more technical answer-Please help ease my already enlarged brain

Thanks in advance

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: OK: Stupid Oil Cahnge Question

It is a screw on cartridge filter just like a car only it sits INSIDE the oil sump. So you have to gently let the oil out before you can remove the filter. Also in the sump is the oil pump pickup. You will see when you open it. By the way the 09s changed to Torx vs Allens on the oil filter cover.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Don't over crank the "torx".... when you reinstall the cover.

the filter is "not painted" so you don't have the concern of flakes of paint clogging the pickup screen.

The filter is inside the "sump" because BMW decided they had to put it somewhere.. =) and it really cleans up the lines of the engine.

You can reuse the "o=ring" if you don't damage it.. I'm on my 2nd one since purchase of my 05 in DEC 2004.. and 32k miles with oilchange at every 3k.

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 7:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Don't over crank the "torx".... when you reinstall the cover.

the filter is "not painted" so you don't have the concern of flakes of paint clogging the pickup screen.

The filter is inside the "sump" because BMW decided they had to put it somewhere.. =) and it really cleans up the lines of the engine.

You can reuse the "o=ring" if you don't damage it.. I'm on my 2nd one since purchase of my 05 in DEC 2004.. and 32k miles with oilchange at every 3k.
If one could see the engine, then I can see the concern about the clean lines ... but on an LT???

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Thank You for the replies, now that makes sense and thanks for the torx heads up, I looked under there today. Is the oil plug a torx also? It looks like the skid plate should be removed to ease the process.

Tony
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2010, 9:50 am

Talking Re: OK: Stupid Oil Cahnge Question

You dont need to remove the skid plate to change oil. Its a pain and mess to do but once you do it once,its not as difficult as it may appear at first, just be prepared for more oil when you take the filter cover off and its a tight squeeze to pull the filter out as you loosen it.

Richard Hansen
99 K1200LTC- Warbird- totaled April 2014

09 K1200lt. Warbird II
IBA SS1000 & BBG 1500
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2010, 12:55 pm

The drain plug is a Hex Head though you won't get much out of it as it is right next to the much larger and lower filter cover.

I don't know that I have ever replaced the o-ring or crush washer on any of my bikes.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #8 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2010, 8:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyla
Thank You for the replies, now that makes sense and thanks for the torx heads up, I looked under there today. Is the oil plug a torx also? It looks like the skid plate should be removed to ease the process.

Tony
On the 05 and up it some times helps to remove it get to that back bolt out. Just the sheet metal part needs to be removed. Two 10mm self locking nuts to the rear and two allen (maybe torx now) at the front.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 10:04 am

Garage

You really don't need to remove the drain plug since all the oil will come out the filter cover. This will save you some time and a crush washer. When removing the screws on the filter cover do not remove them all the way at first, just enough to allow the oil to drain out.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 11:56 am

You may want to remove the drain bolt, if only to inspect the magnet that's part of the bolt to ensure you don't have a lot or any large metal pieces stuck to it that would indicate a potential problem. I'd still drain the oil from the filter cover first, then remove the drain bolt for inspection.

2000 K1200LTC (Now my Daily Ride!)
2004 Vstrom DL1000 (The Bad Boy)
2004 DRZ400 (Sad to see that one go)
2002 Vstar 650 (24000 miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in