CQ HID problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

CQ HID problem

HEy guys, I've been visiting but not posting much of late. No time to ride or post. At any rate, my minivan is trying to crap out on me, so I thought I'd ride the bike. Well, the low beam CQ HID I put in a year or two back is not working. IT will come on when I turn on the switch, but goes out pretty quick. WHat is the problem? BAllast going bad or gone? Can I replace (buy) that easily (locally) or does it have to be part of a matched set from CQ?

I apologize for asking a lighting question in the LT section, but I figured I'd get a bigger audience.

Thanks for any help.
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Re: CQ HID problem

randy, when i had that same problem it was the bulb.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

REally? It would light and then go out? And it was the bulb?

Well, that doesn't help eliminate anything... durn it. But thanks

Randy

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 7:01 pm

yes ,it would light up briefly and go out.
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

IS that a bulb I can buy at Auto Zone or Advance? Or does it have to come from CQ? I'm looking at it and ca't for the life of me, remember how I puth ge wires and grommet in there. How does the wire for hte bulb come out? ANd so on....

randy
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:36 pm

Smile Re: CQ HID problem

You are going to have to get a replacement bulb from cqlight. I would suggest you buy a spare while you are at it.
I went through the same thing a while back, bulb would come on and then go out shortly afterward, changed out the bulb and all is well again.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 12:40 am

Very likely lamp, but you can get it elsewhere

+1 on the lamp being most likely at fault. Here is the science primer: the lamp contains Xenon gas and metal salts. The igniter/ballast combo applies many thousands volts to strike an arc inside the lamp.

Once ignited, the arc evaporates the metal salts which "glow", emitting the bright light. A particular voltage is required to maintain the xenon/metal plasma. An old or faulty tube requires higher voltage than provided and thus the arc will extinguish.

You have very likely seen this phenomenon elsewhere: sodium or mercury-vapor street lights cycling on and off. "Dumb" ballasts (magnetics only) will cycle forever, smart (with an electronic controller) will detect cycling and stop until next power-up.

Now, regarding replacement: there is no standard and compatibility between brands is not guaranteed. Hover, it appears to me that all these retrofit kits, sold stateside under various brands, are made by the same Chinese manufacturer.

For example, I have four CQ Lights kits on my bikes (H7 low beams and H3 fog lamps), a two-lamp VVME H11 kit in my truck and just recently I received an DDM Tuning single-H7 kit. They all have the same style connectors.

The slim-style ballasts on CQ and DMM kits appear identical and all the connectors match. This means that you have more sources for getting a replacement.

Having said that, the whole H7 kit from DDM cost me about $30 shipped by Priority Mail. Meaning, just buy the whole set - save the old ballast for emergencies. Check out:
motorcycle kit from DDM

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Mar 26th, 2010 at 12:46 am.
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 8:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thanks for listing DMM as I just got a dual kit for the GS for $35.00 + shipping. The prices have really dropped. Probably should have bought a spare set as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 13 Old Mar 27th, 2010, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
IS that a bulb I can buy at Auto Zone or Advance? Or does it have to come from CQ? I'm looking at it and ca't for the life of me, remember how I puth ge wires and grommet in there. How does the wire for hte bulb come out? ANd so on....

randy
I bought my spare bulbs at Advanced Auto Parts.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 27th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Thanks for listing DMM as I just got a dual kit for the GS for $35.00 + shipping. The prices have really dropped. Probably should have bought a spare set as well.
Really dropped indeed. I paid DDM $58 for a single H& kit last fall.
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 10:44 am

I found when encountering this similar problem that the ground up under the nose cone was the culprit. Some have re-routed the ground back to the battery to fix.

Fremont
2002LT Pacific Blue
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 1:13 pm

CQ will likely replace the bulb under warranty. I know DDM warranties the lamps forever. Might not be a bad idea to order a replacement lamp to have a spare on hand.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I needed a bulb quick, so went back to a halogen stock bulb. I'll regret it if I'm out after dark. However, that is not likely in the near future with things as they are now. : (

Thanks again
Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in