trans input bearing ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 11:43 am Thread Starter

trans input bearing ???

I have looked searched but cant seem to find what I need. can anyone tell me 1) if I should be able to move the input shaft to the transmission back and forth? I think I need a new bearing if you are not suppose to be able to move it.

if I do need to replace it does anyone have a step by step ( like I found for the rear drive that was nice) , is the bearing pressed to the shaft. and looking at the manual it looks like you can't just remove the front plate , you actually remove the housing from the front plate. can anyone confirm.

just trying to get her ready for another season, new clutch and rear eng seal, slave cylinder etc

thanks
mark

Mark West
99 K12LTC
ride ride ride let it ride
216k and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Re: trans input bearing ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzkvsl
I have looked searched but cant seem to find what I need. can anyone tell me 1) if I should be able to move the input shaft to the transmission back and forth? I think I need a new bearing if you are not suppose to be able to move it.

if I do need to replace it does anyone have a step by step ( like I found for the rear drive that was nice) , is the bearing pressed to the shaft. and looking at the manual it looks like you can't just remove the front plate , you actually remove the housing from the front plate. can anyone confirm.

just trying to get her ready for another season, new clutch and rear eng seal, slave cylinder etc

thanks
mark
I don't know how much play there should be, I would call the shop. My bearing there failed and I got to get a new transmission, case and clutch. See my pics.

I had notices a little more noise on shifting for a few miles prior.

Back and forth wouldn't bother me as much as side to side fwiw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 001.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	26754   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 002.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	26755   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 003.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	26756   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 005.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	26757   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 006.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	26758  

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by atrovarious; Mar 25th, 2010 at 1:45 pm.
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

I just had it apart last year , to replace the clutch and damaged the rear engine seal when replacing it , it was leaking , thought I would replace it again before it trashed another clutch plate.

I dont remember the trans input shaft moving that much before when I had it apart( maybe it did and I'm just more paranoid now). the splines on the shaft seem to be fine , no sign of any wear. my clutch rod is worn quite a bit. the dia that comes out of the trans is worn down quire a bit.

the shaft will only move side to side about a milimeter each wat but wil not move in and out at all ........is this normail?

thanks
mark

Mark West
99 K12LTC
ride ride ride let it ride
216k and counting

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 4:23 pm

I assume the price of the bearing isn't that much... for a 99, would it not be worth replacing if only for piece of mind?

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in