Checking/Refilling Battery Water - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Checking/Refilling Battery Water

Does anyone have a technique for checking and re-filling the battery water on an LT without removing the battery from the bike?

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:07 am

Re: Checking/Refilling Battery Water

Bad idea.

Don't do it.

It's not just "water"... it is acid which can do serious harm to you and/or your bike.

If there were a "drain" at the bottom of the battery, you might be able to "replace" the acid...

Don't do it.

One of the things that happens to our batteries is "bridging" which causes "shorts"...

So, if ya have a battery problem, you MAY be able to dump out the acid by inverting the battery.. but I would not do it....

You'll then need "fresh" acid.... and a method of disposing of the acid you dump out...

Then there is the possibility of lodging the "sediment" in the bottom between the plates causing another short...

Don't do it.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

You can catch a peek at the fluid level on the side of the battery case. If you have to add distilled water, you don't have to remove the battery, but you do have to get access to the caps (assuming you have a slosh-type battery) by removing the hold down bracket. A small funnel, or syringe is invaluable to help you hit the hole.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:26 am

CFELL, if I read the original post correctly he wants to top off a lead acid battery with distilled water. Probably a good idea to remove it from the bike for the reasons cfell listed. I just use a squeeze bulb type filler and go fairly slow. You should be able to fill one end of the battery to the line and then match the level for the next 5 cells to the first one. A quick tidy up with a paper towel for any spilled water and you're good to go.

Make sure you use distilled water and not some fancy drinking water. The drinking water has minerals in it to make it tasty and satisfying. Also use the battery water filler bulb thingey for filling the battery only. I don't think anti freeze residue would do our batteries much good.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:57 pm

Garage

Checking - Be sure the top is removable. One removed, peer into each of the (6) cells. Use a flashlight, NOT A LIGHTER!

Liquid should be above the top of the lead plates and below the fill ring, about halfway between the two is about right. There may be level marks on the battery box...

If the level has not fallen low enough that the top of the plates is above the liquid, you can carefully add distilled water with an eyedropper, turkey baster, etc. Just don't add too much, because whatever spills over is acid and will eat paint, etc. If the level is already below the plates you can still add water, but start saving for a new battery, since low acid level start damage to the plates that does not repair itself and will only get progressively worse.

If any does spill, put the cap back on and flood the area with a garden hose. The more water the more diluted the acid and the less damage.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Hey, THANKS EVERYBODY!

CFELL, thanks for your thoughts, but sorry I did not mean to imply removing the acid/water mixture from the battery. I just want to "top it off" with distilled water.

Will follow the procedure from JKERSH1, leaving the battery connected in the bike but removing the top plate so I can get access to the cells.

Again, I appreciate all the responses. THANKS.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 3:29 am

When I replaced the battery a couple of years ago, I aligned the slots in the hold down plate with the battery cell screw plugs; screw them out without removing the plate. I use an old honey squirt container to top-ff the cells. Turkey baster serves the same purpose.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in