Strange Smell from '99 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Strange Smell from '99 LT

Howdy:
OK, I've searched the forums and asked around but can't find an answer to this question.
I have a 1999 K1200LT and it has recently developed a strong smell after driving any sort of distance. It is most obvious in and around the right hand side drivers footpeg. For example, if you are kneeling down to open the right hand side luggage, you'll get a faceful of odor!!
My first thought was some wax got onto the exhaust, and it was simply that burning off. But now it almost smells like something rubber is burning.
I've pulled the bodywork and looked and looked for anyting rubbing, or a rogue hose laying on something hot, but have been unable to find the smoking gun.
If memory serves, it started some time after doing the canisterectomy. Could that possbly have anything to do with it???
I found a thread about the clutch, but the smell is there even if I baby the clutch. I only have a 15 mile drive to work that is almost a straight line with no major hills, so I don't know.
Thanks in advance for your help. This is the best motorcycle resource on the net!
-Oxbowfarm38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Re: Strange Smell from '99 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbowfarm38
Howdy:
OK, I've searched the forums and asked around but can't find an answer to this question.
I have a 1999 K1200LT and it has recently developed a strong smell after driving any sort of distance. It is most obvious in and around the right hand side drivers footpeg. For example, if you are kneeling down to open the right hand side luggage, you'll get a faceful of odor!!
My first thought was some wax got onto the exhaust, and it was simply that burning off. But now it almost smells like something rubber is burning.
I've pulled the bodywork and looked and looked for anyting rubbing, or a rogue hose laying on something hot, but have been unable to find the smoking gun.
If memory serves, it started some time after doing the canisterectomy. Could that possbly have anything to do with it???
I found a thread about the clutch, but the smell is there even if I baby the clutch. I only have a 15 mile drive to work that is almost a straight line with no major hills, so I don't know.
Thanks in advance for your help. This is the best motorcycle resource on the net!
-Oxbowfarm38
Any tire changes lately?? Check the right side of the rear tire - the sidewall to tread edge and see if it might be rubbing against the swingarm. If so, it'll be obvious as a wear point. The rear wheel rim should have a shim plate installed at the lug mounts hub to keep the tire away from the swingarm a 'very slight' gap.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:20 pm

Is the odor a rotten egg smell? If so the mixture is likely way rich causing the catalytic converter to work overtime resulting in the horrible odor. Had this happen to a car once and it turned out to be an O2 sensor.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Take off the tupperware, Take it for a ride and see what's up .

Tire rubbing on the swingarm is a good thing to check...If it smells there should be something visible or smoking....You'll find it..

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 11:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I get that from my 05 some times also. I was concerned but could never find a source. I have been all over it in the last 50K miles and have had the swing arm off and transmission removed and never saw anything that indicated something was rubbing or burning. So I wouldn't worry about it if your inspections don't show anything obvious.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 1:14 am

Is it a burning oil smell? Maybe you have a small oil (maybe transmission seal) leak that is dropping oil onto the exhaust? Might not have to fall directly on the exhaust as it might be telegraphing to a point where it could reach the exhaust.

Maybe a water leak? If so it should smell like a Bit o Honey candy bar.

Pretty scary stuff. Hope you find it

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 7:44 am

Yep, have the same , thought it was the heated grips for ages. Then noticed it on a day without the grips switched on. So far have not found the source.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 9:11 am
Enjoy The Ride

On mine the fabric heat shield between the muffler & the left side case has a smell to it after riding in the rain or washing the bike. After it dries out the smell goes away.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 2:52 pm

Garage

I would tell your riding buddies to lay off the baked beans

Just kidding!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #10 of 10 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 5:18 am

I, too, have what sounds like the same "problem"...also a '99LT...definitely a rubber burning smell....have just taken my bike out of cold storage and re-introduced her to sunshine. However on my ride out yesterday the sniff seemed to have vanished. Have just had a new front tyre fitted so will look into that rubbing somewhere (but where??). Not sure if the sniff was there before that was fitted certainly not before she went to sleep for the winter. Thought it might have been the rear brake binding but no.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in