Wiring diagram -2002 Lt needed. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Wiring diagram -2002 Lt needed.

Hi, my first post to this group.
I need a wiring diagram for my newly acquired K1200LT. I'm having a problem with my lights flickering when I'm reaching close to 2500 to 3000 RPMs.
Ground wires were all tight that I could get to.
john stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:55 am

Re: Wiring diagram -2002 Lt needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWray
Hi, my first post to this group.
I need a wiring diagram for my newly acquired K1200LT. I'm having a problem with my lights flickering when I'm reaching close to 2500 to 3000 RPMs.
Ground wires were all tight that I could get to.
john stuart
Mornin' John - welcome aboard. I hear folks say that the LT shop manual published by Clymer's has a wiring diagram/schematic included (not sure if it's an option, or a basic part of the manual). Might be a good item to include on your work bench!

If you'll give me a coupla hours, I'll see if I can find my electrical schematic (I may already have it loaned out); and if I find it, I'll be glad to send it over to Dawsonville and you can return it when you're finished with it. OR, I can ax my bro down in Cumming to pick it up when he's in your 'hood - he's running a regular check-up trip to his campground up in NC pretty often and would be glad to stop in to see you.

Speakin' of stopping in - does "Wild Bill from Dawsonville" still have a cafe there? Several years ago, we grabbed a lunch there while playing the touristy thing!

BTW - for a compadre in train interest, ping Steve Rowe (Steve_R) over in Snellville. That boy has the train fever, bigtime.

I'll be backatcha in a bit, John. Meantime, somebody here may jump in and give you some wrenching advice to chase down your lighting problem. Good luck.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 11:39 am

Your flickering headlight issue could be the ground screw to starter motor connection is loose. Hope not. It is DEEP under the Tupperware!

Bon chance my friend.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Mornin' John - welcome aboard. I hear folks say that the LT shop manual published by Clymer's has a wiring diagram/schematic included (not sure if it's an option, or a basic part of the manual). Might be a good item to include on your work bench!

If you'll give me a coupla hours, I'll see if I can find my electrical schematic (I may already have it loaned out); and if I find it, I'll be glad to send it over to Dawsonville and you can return it when you're finished with it. OR, I can ax my bro down in Cumming to pick it up when he's in your 'hood - he's running a regular check-up trip to his campground up in NC pretty often and would be glad to stop in to see you.

Speakin' of stopping in - does "Wild Bill from Dawsonville" still have a cafe there? Several years ago, we grabbed a lunch there while playing the touristy thing!

BTW - for a compadre in train interest, ping Steve Rowe (Steve_R) over in Snellville. That boy has the train fever, bigtime.

I'll be backatcha in a bit, John. Meantime, somebody here may jump in and give you some wrenching advice to chase down your lighting problem. Good luck.
The wiring diagram is in the Clymer manual, at least in mine. It's well worth the price for all its knowledge.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:12 pm

+1 on the Clymer's...until you get your own, this should get you started...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Wiring 001.jpg
Views:	16810
Size:	986.1 KB
ID:	26686   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Wiring 002.jpg
Views:	12053
Size:	980.2 KB
ID:	26687  

'15 GTLE

post #6 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You won't find the fault on the wiring diagram. It is the ground screw for the starter that is loose. the starter is trapped between the tranny and intermediate case and has O rings on each end. the only way it gets grounded it through a 5 mm allen at the rear of the reverse gear area on top of the tranny. Now why this affect the lights - the starter is the ground for the load shed relay and with a loose bolt the vibs cause this relay to chatter. You have to remove the battery to get at this thing.It is the little bolt shown going to the starter #4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KLT_23006c.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	26697  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:59 pm

john, any idea why this is such a common problem? Does it work loose or do people just forget to tighten it up after service?

I met a gentleman on Wednesday who had this very issue after a service. T"ook te dealer tech several hours to get it fixed.

Probably can't use Loctite blue as it would isolate the screw from the starter?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 11:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't know but there is no reason to ever loosen this screw unless the transmission is removed to remove the starter. So a service tech would never loosen it. You can't get to it unless you remove the battery. Some just were never really tight from the factory. I checked mine when I did the clutch job and it was tight. When loose it will still alow the starter to get enough ground for a start but the vibes at speed cause the ground to be flakey and mess up the load shed relay - thus flickering lights.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2017, 9:51 pm

Garage

my 2000 has the low beam only issue.
Tested on the lead to headlight unit, ground and power to high beam ok, only 12v missing to regular lights.
Post about r 1200 says maybe remove power from entire bike and allow computer to reset, Will try that next, already opened left hand control and removed most tupperware. Was going to look at plugs relays on starter relay etc, I had previously put form starter sol on bike.
But it had worked for a few years so far.

2000 K1200LT & 86 K75 for fun again

Prev rides
1992 BMW K75
1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1985 Goldwing
1977 Yamaha RD400
1982 Honda MB5
1979 Yamaha XS 650

if it ain't fun, don't own it
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinskg View Post
my 2000 has the low beam only issue.
Tested on the lead to headlight unit, ground and power to high beam ok, only 12v missing to regular lights.
Post about r 1200 says maybe remove power from entire bike and allow computer to reset, Will try that next, already opened left hand control and removed most tupperware. Was going to look at plugs relays on starter relay etc, I had previously put form starter sol on bike.
But it had worked for a few years so far.
You can Forget what you read about R1200 series as these have CANBUS system with electrical monitoring of all items (no fuses on these as CANBUS will shut down a circuit in electronic fashion). The K1200LT and K1200RS (brick-engine) has a much simpler electronics with NO monitoring of lights circuit except tail-light bulb.

QUESTION: do you have a NORTH-AMERICAN specs bike with headlight normally always ON... -OR- a Europe spec K1200 with a switch on right hand switch-gear to manually shut down the headlight ??

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in