Major tear down with lots to do and questions I'm sure... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:15 am Thread Starter

Question Major tear down with lots to do and questions I'm sure...

Well I finally finished all but one of my licensing board exams and found a signed a 124 page residency contract this morning so I finally have time to tear into the bike. I was looking for an area with great motorcycle roads and skiing nearby as well. I matched with a program in southeast West Virginia so I think I nailed it.

First question. My fuel gauge didn't work after I repaired a torched wiring harness. There was voltage there but no signal up top. I took it apart tonight and the float moves freely up and down. I then checked the ohms and set at 200K I get 1.1 and it doesn't change when I move the float.

I further took the unit apart and notice that there used to be two very fine wires that resemble light weight fishing line or fiber optic cable or hair for that matter that ran from top to bottom through the unit. The float slides up and down on a shaft and the along both wires thus changing the resistance depending on where it is. I'm going to try and fix it using copper wires because I don't know where I would find wire like this.

Any idea if this will work. My guess is that it won't because the resistance won't be right with the wire change.

More to come I'm sure.

Thank you in advance!

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:32 am Thread Starter

Re: Major tear down with lots to do and questions I'm sure...

Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0001.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	26681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0002.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	598.1 KB
ID:	26682  

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:54 am Thread Starter

After pics

Resistance seems to be around 10 ohms when empty and 5 when full.

Now to hook it up...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0004.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	579.6 KB
ID:	26683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0005.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	26684  

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #4 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 1:13 am Thread Starter

Well evidently the silver wire has a lot more resistance than the copper because the copper is measuring .04 full and .07 .08 empty or extended.... The gauge is registering full just fine but empty, it only deflects down to 8 or 9 10ths of a tank. If anyone knows what this wire is and where to get it, let me know...

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #5 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 1:49 am Thread Starter

Found one on Ebay for $35 delivered so I bought it though I wouldn't mind trying to fix this one, for now I am off to the next repair....

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #6 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 8:38 am
Gold Supporter

Congrats on the life change! EBay was probably the right choice. The resistance element doesn't sound like the typical radio shack item. Probably ni-chrome or some other specialty wire.
JimH

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #7 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh2020
Congrats on the life change! EBay was probably the right choice. The resistance element doesn't sound like the typical radio shack item. Probably ni-chrome or some other specialty wire.
JimH
That's what I was thinking but it was worth a shot and a nice little late night diversion.
Thank you and thank you.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #8 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Congrats on you Boards and Residency.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #9 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 3:15 pm

The wire is most likely NiChrome. Not easy to find in small quantities, and the size has to be right. McMaster has small sizes in 1/8 pound spools, but cost just about as much as you found a used unit for.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The wire is most likely NiChrome. Not easy to find in small quantities, and the size has to be right. McMaster has small sizes in 1/8 pound spools, but cost just about as much as you found a used unit for.
Good to know and thank you Golf Guy.

Speedo Mod is now complete.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles...rticle&artid=2

On to Brown wire....if I can find the link LOL

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #11 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Brown wire done.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Guess I should put the speedo back in DAMM ADD! LOL

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #12 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Got the speedo back in and installed the higher watt low beam HID and the 55W High beam as well....

I'm not sure if anyone has ever written anything on the high beam install, but it doesn't fit. I had to splice the wire to get it through the goofy mount... and then it was too long so I glued it in LOL.....

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

Last edited by atrovarious; Mar 20th, 2010 at 8:03 pm.
post #13 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Start of my fuel filter re-route.
Special submersible ss covered fuel line and my favorite hose clamps. Gators by Comp Cams. I have enough of the special fuel line for two more bikes if anyone wants to do this let me know. I'm using regular ss covered line outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102_1857.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	807.0 KB
ID:	26698  

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #14 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Also put in a K&N air filter.... The other one was the original I think and it still looked brand new..... but I already had the K&N....

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #15 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:32 pm

It it snowing in KC? You seem to have been busy all day today...good job!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #16 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
It it snowing in KC? You seem to have been busy all day today...good job!
Thanks. Yep, 6+ inches, gave me an excuse to put a tv out in the garage, watch some basketball and get some work done.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #17 of 22 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:37 pm

I would have done the same thing--but the little lady would have objected!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #18 of 22 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Finished my fuel filter re-route (pics included) today and also installed the peg lowering kit I bought over a year ago LOL For what they charge for two chunks of aluminum you would think you wouldn't have to hammer the pins in.....

I after I do the oil, the final drive and the brake fluid etc. I want to put as much of the bike back together and still have access to the fuel sending unit which means I need that side panel and the stingray off I believe.

Can I put everything back on but those two parts? I forget.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102_1858.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	783.9 KB
ID:	26708   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1859.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	783.3 KB
ID:	26709  

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #19 of 22 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:26 pm

Atrovarious
Nice post. Good pics. I assume you did the fuel line mod to have access to an external fuel filter. Do you leave the original filter in place? Can you describe/identify the ss tubing you are using?

Also, how did your bike get "torched" (in reference to the wiring harness...)? ie, is there something we need to look out for on our LT's?

Hope you get the WV posting, sounds like motorcycle riding heaven, close to Blue Ridge Mts, Smokey Mts, etc!

I did the HID upgrade (high and low) just after I purchased two years ago...high beam was a beeatch, as you stated...had to drill out the hole where the bulb goes in, then had to secure the bulb holder somehow (don't remeber exactly what I did)...has not moved in over 16,000 miles since I did it.

I also did the brake fluid flush this year, it was a slight pita, but once I got the "hang of it" it goes quickly.. I used the opportunity to replace pads and install speedbleeders, I think one of your recent posts showed you purchased them as well. The speedbleeder waste bag and hose was indispensible. In fact, if you place the bag "upstream" (that is, higher) from the bleeder you don't really even need the speed bleeders. I still like them. Makes me feel good! What a huge difference the new fluid made in the brake "feel"-brakes seem to engage immediately, and the feedback to the lever is great! Also changed the clutch fluid and lubed the shift linkages...AWESOME! Shifting seems less clunky.

Lastly, what does your screen name (atrovarious) mean?
Oh, and the youtube link (what i am thinking right now) is not working.

Peter
2002 K1200LTE (July 4, 2008)-"Dragonfly"
1984 Goldwing Aspencade-"The Mighty Pickle" (think of Arlo Guthrie)
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750-"Little Pickle" (sometimes "Gherkin")
1980 Honda 750 Four-utilitarian, classic
1978 Honda 450 Four-took it apart, couldn't put it back together...
1976 Suzuki GT 250-2 stroke screamer
post #20 of 22 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Can I put everything back on but those two parts? I forget.[/QUOTE]

The LT will run without those 2 parts. And I believe the turn flasher bulbs also operate, although they aren't very visible if you'll be cruising down the street.
post #21 of 22 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Thank you. Here are your answers.

I assume you did the fuel line mod to have access to an external fuel filter.

Yes

Do you leave the original filter in place?

No, I bypassed it with a submersible line inside the tank.

Can you describe/identify the ss tubing you are using?

Spectre 29310 - SSteel-Flex; Fuel Line; 5/16 in. ID; L-10 ft.; 1 US$24.95

Spectre 5964 - Canister Fuel Filter; 5/16 in. Fuel Line; Chrome Plated Steel Housing; 2 US$6.62

Aeroquip FCA0603 - AQP Racing Hose; 3ft. Hose; -06AN Dash; 0.34in. I.D.; 0.55in. O.D.; 1000/750 PSI; 2.5in. Min. Bend Radius; 0.16 lbs. Per Foot; 21in. Per HG; 1 US$16.95
(SUBMERSIBLE LINE)

Also, how did your bike get "torched" (in reference to the wiring harness...)? ie, is there something we need to look out for on our LT's?

In my case, the HID system overheated the headlight power wire (not fused) back at the bike main computer in the main wiring harness. As a result the entire harness was damaged resulting in further shorts and damage away from the main harness. It took me about 20 hours or so to fix and 10 buck in parts....

Hope you get the WV posting, sounds like motorcycle riding heaven, close to Blue Ridge Mts, Smokey Mts, etc!

It's a done deal! Just signed the 125 page contract.

I also did the brake fluid flush this year, it was a slight pita, but once I got the "hang of it" it goes quickly.. I used the opportunity to replace pads and install speedbleeders, I think one of your recent posts showed you purchased them as well. The speedbleeder waste bag and hose was indispensable. In fact, if you place the bag "upstream" (that is, higher) from the bleeder you don't really even need the speed bleeders. I still like them. Makes me feel good! What a huge difference the new fluid made in the brake "feel"-brakes seem to engage immediately, and the feedback to the lever is great! Also changed the clutch fluid and lubed the shift linkages...AWESOME! Shifting seems less clunky.

I'm certain that when the shop put in my new transmission and clutch they put in new clutch fluid and lubed if not replaced the linkage....SURELY THEY DID?!?!

Lastly, what does your screen name (atrovarious) mean?

Just a word I made up a while back.atrovarious: adj. To possess a variety of talents.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #22 of 22 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahabit
Can I put everything back on but those two parts? I forget.

Not to ride... I just want to know if I can put the most everything back on and leave the stingray and right side panel off or if I need to leave anything else off to have access and not have to remove something to put the stingray back on.

However my part that I ordered late Friday night came today

I also picked up some Royal Purple 15-40 for the engine and 75/140 for the rear drive along with some Wix filters. As I said the gear box has new BMW oil in it with the new transmission and clutch.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

Last edited by atrovarious; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:11 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in