Follow-up. We're inheriting my father-in-law's K1200LT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Smile Follow-up. We're inheriting my father-in-law's K1200LT!

Hi guys,

I posted here two months ago saying that there was a chance that my wife and I might inherit my father-in-law's 2008 K1200LT, well it turns out that we're getting it! Her brother considered taking it, but luckily, he decided that it was too big for what he needs and that he'd probably only use it once in the summer and that the extra insurance wouldn't have made it worth keeping.

My father-in-law bought this bike two years ago and never got to ride it since he had only just gotten his motorcycle license and had enough sense to let his son ride him around on it. Unfortunately, his health went downhill fast and we found out last year that he had cancer and it was terminal. He's been living with us for the last few months and will remain in our home until the end, which could be very soon, it's anybody's guess.

This bike has less then 3000 kilometers on it, it's basically a new bike. And it's got a ton of optional extras on it too, man this thing is loaded!

Here's a picture of me sitting on this bike back in the summer of 2008:

That dopey grin I was wearing was what I had plastered on my face when I came back from a little half-hour ride on this thing. My wife was on the back for this little ride and she loved it! That was my one and only ride on a K1200LT. Since it was so expensive, I wasn't at all keen on taking it out but my father and brother-in-law insisted. It was indeed a super fine machine.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that we'd eventually own this super luxury bike. It was one of those things that you admired and never considered owning.

I will admit that I wasn't convinced that this bike would be a good fit for us because I'm only experienced with my big Vulcan 1600 Classic cruiser. The weight on that bike is pretty low, but the K1200LT has its weight quite a bit higher from what I could tell, so that's a foreign feeling for me but the more that I thought about it, I became convinced that it would be foolish to pass up this bike.

Yeah, we could sell it or trade it in but it would definately be at a loss and when you come right down to it, this thing needs nothing else to go out for extended road trips, so why get rid of it? My 1600 Classic will remain in my yard and I'll use it as an around town kind of bike on week days and save the K1200LT for weekend rides with the wife on the back.

I love the rough power of my V-twin but it's not an ideal bike for trips of any length, this K1200LT will definately be put to good use in the coming months. Come on Springtime!

Anyway, quite a few of you guys chimed in when I first posted about this bike and I wanted to give a little follow-up.

BTW, I've heard some people complaining that the seats on the newer K1200LTs aren't very good and that they are frequently replaced with an after-market seat. I hope that the ones on our bike are going to be comfy as they're the heated seats. Boy, my wife is going to LOVE sitting on the back of this thing this summer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Re: Follow-up. We're inheriting my father-in-law's K1200LT!

May he always ride with you....bless ya for taking care of your FIL...
post #3 of 19 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
May he always ride with you....bless ya for taking care of your FIL...
+1 on what Chan says. This is indeed a gift that you will enjoy for some time. The spirit of your FIL will be riding with you!

Aside from that, welcome to the asylum. Your new friends here will help with any questions!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:40 am

Sorry about the circumstances but congratulations. Don't worry about the seat being heated. If you choose to go for a custom seat the heating element stays with the seat pan so the new seat will be heated as well.
post #5 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:53 am

Congrats on getting the LT. Sorry the circumstances are what they are. You are to be commended for taking care of your father in law at this tough time. You will likely find the experience difficult but extremely rewarding. It is an honor to care for someone at the the end of their life.

You wrote that your brother in law wasn't interested in insuring the bike for just a couple rides a year. I don't want to make you too jealous but the annual premium for my '01 with additional coverage for the sidecar, full coverage(I wreck it they fix it), and good liability limits is $273 USD. Thank goodness for AARP and Foremost Insurance! Cheapest bike I have ever insured!

BTW, that dopey grin? I have ridden my LT nearly 12,000 miles and still wear the grin! Not sure it ever goes away!!!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 5:10 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Follow-up. We're inheriting my father-in-law's K1200LT!

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for all of your helpful comments and encouragement!

Yeah, it's been a long haul for us as a family with this cancer battle. It sure does wear everybody down after awhile. If there was any mercy out there, my FIL would be better off leaving this world sooner rather then later. Thanks again for the encouragement.

BTW, it's good to hear that it's the seat pan underneath the seat that has the heating element. What about this seat issue, have any of you guys found the stock seat uncomfortable and had to change it out for an after-market seat? You'd think that a premium touring bike like the LT would already have the very best seat available.

Last edited by Humbucker; Mar 19th, 2010 at 5:21 am.
post #7 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 8:20 am

The LT saddle seems to be a pretty subjective thing. Some people hate them, but in my experience the stock LT seat is great......and my wife loves the stock passenger seat as well. She and I have logged a lot of miles on different bikes and we both prefer the stock LT seat to stock AND aftermarket seats on Wings and H-D's. We test rode an LT with a Russell 'Day Long' saddle and we both disliked it. For both of us, we find the seats shaped like a tractor seat that LOOK like they should be comfortable.....aren't. For myself, I hate having the seat edge poking me in the upper thigh or butt, so the stock LT fit me perfectly. My wife and I can do 500 - 700 mile days without being uncomfortable. But....like I said, seats are a very subjective thing and LT riders seem to be blessed with a variety of options if you want to change.
One thing worth noting: if you are taking your wife along.....go ahead and move the trunk back. Regardless of your size, once you both put on gear, the space between you diminishes. It only takes a few minutes to move it, especially if your wife helps hold the lid and hand you tools like mine did.
Good luck with the bike, you will enjoy it immensely. And kudos to you for stepping up and taking care of you FIL, people who haven't gone through it don't realize how emotionally and physically draining it can be on the caretakers. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #8 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
Sorry about the circumstances but congratulations. Don't worry about the seat being heated. If you choose to go for a custom seat the heating element stays with the seat pan so the new seat will be heated as well.
That is not correct. The heating element is lightly glued on top of the foam, under the seat cover. However, it can easily be removed when the custom seat builder removes the covering and foam to re-build the seat and added back to the new foam.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 10:37 am

I have a Russell Day Long for the driver and the stock for my wife. She says the rear is great and have done some long 500 to 700 days last year with no problems. I love the Russell, no itch or numbness.

Last year we travelled to SD for the CCR 2009 and were quite confortable.

This year we were going to go to the Maritimes( to see relatives) or Texas for a vacation before going to CCR in Vermont.

Since the CCR is in Vermont, it would be a great ride from Moncton for you guys, you would see quite a few LT's from all over Canada and the US at one location.

Check the site and see if the CCR would be worth the trip from Moncton. Great gathering and a good group of people with a common interest!!!

Regards,
Bowdon
post #10 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 11:18 am

Sorry for your loss.

Your father-in-law would want to you to always park it in first gear after taking out the driveline lash with the clutch out. Otherwise they like to roll forward off the sidestand. BTDT.
post #11 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:50 pm
ajs

Sorry for the circumstances you find yourselves in. I am sure your FIL is happy he has family like you around him.

I ride an '05 LT and have both an aftermarket Corbin front and back and the OEM set. Both are heated. My wife normally rides her own MP3 400 Piaggio but when she rides with me she prefers the Corbin rear while I prefer the OEM front. It has been said I have German ancestry in me, I guess it comes out in my butt. My bike is always outfitted with the Corbin rear and the OEM front. They don't match up aesthetically but I don't care, I like my seat and have done many long distance trips on it. That includes a cross Canada trip two years ago. We are talking of doing it again.

FWIW my wife and I are all booked in for the CCR in Vermont. This will be our first one and we are looking forward to it. If you get to making plans for it let us know and maybe we can hook up. We're just a short distance east of you.

In the mean time, enjoy the ride.

Austin Sutton

Austin

2005 LT Ocean Blue
2006 Bushtec Roadstar Ocean Blue
2005 R1200GS Black
2010 Piaggio MP3 400 Midnight Blue (Marsha's ride)
post #12 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 2:53 pm

That grin on your face says it all - that's what biking's all about.

Great looking bike, wish mine was black.
post #13 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Hum,

You look like Clancy Brown. anyone ever mention that?
post #14 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Wow, you guys are one heck of a friendly bunch!

Let's see now, Clancy Brown? Nope, I've never had anybody tell me that but my son used to tell when he was little, that I looked like "Marv" in the Home Alone movies.

Thanks everybody for all the kind words and sharing your ideas. I must plead ignorance here, what the hell is this CCR that I see getting mentioned here? Is this a BMW motorcycle rally?

t61vance,
I wasn't aware that the trunk could be mounted a little bit farther back, thanks for that tip, I'll check that out whenever we get the bike here. Right now, it's still in Halifax at my FIL's house and we're getting it shipped here to Moncton sometime next week. We are soooo stoked about this bike!
post #15 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 6:58 pm
ajs

CCR is the "Curve Cowboy Reunion" that started out as a rally for BMW LT owners but is now opened up to include other BMW models and other brands as well. As I said in my earlier post, this one coming up will be my first. There is a lot of good information about it on this site. If you have any questions about it just ask them here and someone more knowledgable than me will respond.

Austin

2005 LT Ocean Blue
2006 Bushtec Roadstar Ocean Blue
2005 R1200GS Black
2010 Piaggio MP3 400 Midnight Blue (Marsha's ride)
post #16 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Or you can go to the CCR web site. Clicky Clicky

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #17 of 19 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 1:30 am

Wink Re: Follow-up. We're inheriting my father-in-law's K1200LT!

Charles, if you look at the top of any page on the Web Site here you will see a banner for CCR you can click on for more info.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #18 of 19 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Sorry to hear of your FIL sickness. He is lucky to have a loving family tending to him. I wish him well.

My wife and I did our first long ride on the LT a month or so ago, from Ottawa area to Cabot Trail through US and back. 3900KM in 6 days. She was very comfortable after being a little sore the first day. I was in pain that was getting to be NO fun at all(air hawk picked up in NH at white horse gear on return trip) helped a lot but not the answer. I will be looking into a driver seat upgrade before any multi higher mileage days

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 12:41 pm

As others have, I commend your caring about, and care for, your father in law. Family is paramount.

Your unique circumstance has given you and your wife a special gift. Far and away the best way to remember him is enjoy! My dad's been gone for years but any time my eyes fall on or I use something around the house that was his, I smile.

As you've probably figured out by now, the LT is an exceptional motorcycle, and you've found your way to a great bunch here.

Have fun!

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in