LT Parts from China - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

LT Parts from China

Anyone buy a set of mirrors off e-bay from some guy in Bejing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-B...Q5fAccessories

Thinking about checking it out unless one of you already has bought some of these.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:40 pm

Re: LT Parts from China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
Anyone buy a set of mirrors off e-bay from some guy in Bejing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-B...Q5fAccessories

Thinking about checking it out unless one of you already has bought some of these.
I bought one for my 2003. My left mirror was broken in a drop a couple of years ago and had been hanging on for many thousand miles. I bid 99 something and then was outbid in the last minute. I took a second chance offer at my bid of 99 bucks and change. It doesn't fit perfect, but that may be because of the drop. It does fit tightly and the finish matches my Silver almost perfectly.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:43 pm

I am sure they are breaking all sorts of laws by manufacturing knock-offs of BMW parts...
Another concern would be the proper fit of the part on my bike. What if the cheap" mirror falls off while I am riding. Will the company send you another? Not that a genuine BMW mirror would be replaced free of charge by the dealer.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Plenty of people are "knocking off" BMW parts and whether they are breaking laws is up for debate. I myself want better trunk latches and clutch linkage that does not break and applaud anyone who makes a replacement mirror that is not a complete rip-off. Oh yeah, follow BMW's advice and spend over $900 if your LT trunk latch breaks. No thanks, I will buy one from a fabricator for a third of the price which will never break!
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Dale
How well does the mirror glass snap in? Does it seem pretty snug. Just wondering my spring clips have broken mounts and can't be repaired another time. I can't see spending what the the dealer wants for OEM. It's like the plastic just drys out or something and cracks around the clips...

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 8:45 am

I purchased a left side mirror last summer for my 03 for $150. The fit is excellent. The mirror itself had a slight wobble which I fixed with two expandable ear plugs. I have noticed since that the chrome is not as durable as the OEM and has developed a few slight dimples. You can get them in any color as long as it is silver.
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2015, 11:15 am

I have seen a clutch plate for the k1200lt from China. Has anyone bought one? I can't believe how little they cost on Ebay. $60.00 I don't think I will take the chance with all you have to do to get to the clutch
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2015, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurtenbach View Post
I have seen a clutch plate for the k1200lt from China. Has anyone bought one? I can't believe how little they cost on Ebay. $60.00 I don't think I will take the chance with all you have to do to get to the clutch
I also saw this one on EBAY a few months ago - my thinking at the time was this:
I would NEVER installed such "Made in China" clutch plate just to save $50 to $100. You can get a good 3rd party quality clutch plate (made in Germany) at BeemerBoneyard for $US 105 (too bad they show out-of-stock now):
New Siebenrock Basic Plus Clutch Plate For All K1200LT Bikes & K1200RS & K1200GT Bikes Through 2005

I really do NOT think anyone would go thru the 15 to 30 hours time frame of work required to install a new clutch plate (caused by a seal or an o-ring in most cases) to risk having such plate self-destroyed or last only limited mileage. Buyer beware....

A mirror that is "Made in china" has a different risk / cost profile for me - that I would try.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2015, 9:30 pm

Yes certain parts that you need to be safe and reliable stick to proven suppliers, but mirrors and the like, go for it. BMW could not get them right, but I'll bet the Chinese units are probably made smarter and will be fine. Those clever guys can make anything cheap with a factory full of 10 year old Chinese girls, recycled plastic and beer cans.

Scott
2007 LT
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2015, 11:10 pm

I bought a set of those 4 years ago when I lost one in a Breckenridge Colorado pothole on a 10 day tour. I bought a set for $275 (back then) then and when I received them they were fine for the job. One of the mirrors had a series of rough edges where it had come loose during shipment and I contacted the seller through eBay where he sent me a replacement set of mirror lenses with mounts and the new snapped in pretty as she pleased. They have fit TIGHT the last 4 years, popped off when they needed to, and I was pleased with the deal. Still am...

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 9:16 am

Ditto on the last post. Cheap mirrors at $250/pair and work well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in