K12LT or HD - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

K12LT or HD

Had a 2001 LT and sold it. Thought I could wait for the next LT, but who knows how long that will be. Considering a HD Ultra Limited, a nice bike, but more money for 'less' bike. (Apples and Oranges). Might be more comfy for the passenger though. My patriotic streak is in high gear too. Left over '09 LT' are almost too much of a good deal to pass-up though. Do the late model LTs still have the rear drive issues? I've still got the old FD from when mine failed.

Mike,

'01 K1200 LTC-Blue
'02 Daytona 955i-Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Re: K12LT or HD

Are you really asking us which bike to get? Ride them both get the one you like better.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 35 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 10:24 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

If you had a LT, then you know the difference.

I really do not think the new LT is that far away, I would guess 9 months to a year, if that.

Ride a 09 LT, then the Ultra.

Me I would find a 05-07 LT used, buy it, and wait for the new LT, then compare that to a Ultra.

An Ultra with all the trimmings is a pretty expensive bike.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 35 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 10:32 pm

The "old" LT is a helluva bike.. HD is a "non-option".
post #5 of 35 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Come to the LT forum to ask which is a better bike??? Did you go to the HD forum and ask the same question???

I think the HD is the bike for you!

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #6 of 35 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Really.....you can't be serious.....you're really asking which bike is better?

Hmmmmm.....bikes that last 250K+ miles or one that has fewer horses, less comfort, and you'll spend more time looking at rather than one that you'll enjoy riding?!!

I'm with cfell.....and if you have doubts, take mwnahas's recommendation and ride them both.....the answer will be written all over your face (frown after HD , and a cheesy grin after riding an LT)!!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #7 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 12:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Come to the LT forum to ask which is a better bike??? Did you go to the HD forum and ask the same question???

I think the HD is the bike for you!

As a matter of fact I do have a post on an HD forum asking a similar question. The objective is to find those that have experience with both, and see what their thoughts are.

My Lt was a '01 1st generation bike, and quite honestly it was a bit of a pain in the ass. It performed and out handled every other bike in almost every way. That being said I had cruise problems, radio problems, something loose in the muffler, and of course an FD failure.

So, more specifically, are the 2nd gen bikes more reliable with their electronics? Are the FDs any better? Anyone had both 1st and 2nd gen K12LTs? How do they compare?

Mike,

'01 K1200 LTC-Blue
'02 Daytona 955i-Red
post #8 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 2:50 am

Well, I had a 99 LT, bought it with low miles and sold it when a good deal came up on an 03 LT. The only issue I had with the 99 was a broken shift linkage just a block away from home. I kept the 03 for a couple of years and got a great deal on an 05 LT with just 10k miles. Only issue with the 03 was decreasing gas mileage but I sold it before seriously looking into it. The 05 now has 50k miles on it and I had a fluid leak on the final drive while at CCR, but the drive itself did not fail, just a seal. I am keeping the 05 until the wheels fall of, even if I buy another bike, say a GT for instance.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 6:44 am

I have had both----the LT wins hands down. Liked my Ultra when I had it, and don't have anything really bad to say about it, but I hardly ever rode it once I got the LT and had them both. Considering what you can get a good used LT for, it really isn't a question in my mind. THE LT. Btw, your extra real drive will not work on a newer LT.
post #10 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:21 am

Got both...2006 LT and 09 Ultra.
I Drive the Ultra.
I RIDE the LT...like I stole it!

Drive or Ride...your choice.

A2B

AL BOBST
06 K1200 LT
BMWMOA # 42109
Spokane, WA

post #11 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:22 am

It really depends on whether or not you've bought a flaming doorag yet. If you have, go with the Harley. It would clash with an LT...............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #12 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:31 am

My riding buddy had 2002 LT and I bought a 2005. He liked the power and handling on mine better while his had a more comfortable seat.

I have a Rick Mayer seat and just change fluids and tires. No repairs to date; probably will jinx myself saying that.
post #13 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I am keeping the 05 until the wheels fall of, even if I buy another bike, say a GT for instance.
You mind reader you!
Except mines an 02

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Talking Re: K12LT or HD

Well, I say that if you want to ride in parades, funerals, and putter around town, and spend hours with a polishing rag in hand, then get the HD.

BUT, if you want to make your adrenalin flow, have an unstopable grin on your face , and be addicted to this site, then go for ANY K1200LT.

I'll be 70 years old in July of this year and I'll never be ready for an HD..............EVER.

Rode my LT to Church this morning and rode the long way home. I didn't notice I was a little late for lunch. Love this LT.....there is just non other like it.

Sounds like you need to ride an HD for awhile to help you appreciate the an LT.

Just my 2 cents worth.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #15 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 4:38 pm

I have experience of both (and Goldwings and a STX1300A) and the K1200 LT wins hands down.

If you're really interested in the next model you might be interested to note that the dealers around here and getting ready for a launch in October (of what they're not told but work it out!).

On the reliability issue I'm on my 3rd BM and in about 10 years I've had a little oil seep from the rear seal on a R1200RT. Noted in Spain. Fixed under warranty when I got back 2000 kms later. Nothing else on any bike - not even blown bulbs, fuses or punctures.You do get the impression from this forum that the world is littered with broken final drives at this stage. But I think the figure for actual failures is 4%. That means 96% are motoring away without complaint.
post #16 of 35 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:05 pm

I just traded an 09 Road Glide in on a 2006 Lt and could not be more pleased. Alone or two up, back roads or highway, there is no comparison. Liked the Glide, LOVE the Lt.
post #17 of 35 Old Mar 8th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Sold my 2006 Ultra and got an 05LT. The Ultra was very comfortable but very underpowered. The new Ultras including the 110 Limited have taken care of the power issues somewhat. But the rides could not be more different, especialy when you consider the brake systems. I now have a HD again and am pleased with my current stable. It all comes down to what YOU like best and what type of riding you'll be doing, Ride me both and then decide.

BTW If you are interested in resale value, the HD will beat the LT hands down. I agree with these other posts, buy a 2005 to 2007 LT and save a bundle.
post #18 of 35 Old Mar 8th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyKnight
Do the late model LTs still have the rear drive issues? I've still got the old FD from when mine failed.
THe FD issue seems to have been worked out by 2005 for the most part. That said, I think my 01' FD is on shaky ground. Can I have your old one? LOL If you can find the deal on an 09' (I believe they actually stopped production in 08') then I say go for it and don't look back!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
post #19 of 35 Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:43 pm

After riding Harley's for about 18 years straight I purchased a 2009 LT in June 2008. I've put about 23,000 miles on it and have been very happy. Last month my local Harley dealer offered a demo ride on a 2010 Ultra Limited. I never pass up a chance to ride a new bike! It's strange how two bikes can be take a completely different approach to touring and both be good. If you have the opportunity, ride both bikes. I'm sure one of them will push your emotional buttons regardless of what the BMW or Harley faithful say. Once you sample both I bet it won't take long to decide which bike best fits your riding style.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #20 of 35 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 5:38 am

Final drive problems still exist in the 1150cc up: K or R. It's a crap shoot. Clutches are still a weak point, too. I've had more problems with the 08 then my 01, even with the clutch I burned up myself. Haven't had problems lately... but then the bike's been sitting in the garage. I'm hesitant to even ride it as a commuter anymore... stop and go traffic... can't be good for the clutch, esp. if you're used to feathering it to keep momentum and motion.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #21 of 35 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 9:07 am

I don't want to re-hash old issues here, I am sure if you search you can find my previous posts on my experiences with both my Ultra and my LT. All I will add today is that I have ridden older LT's (99-01), and for me the '05 and newer 'feel' better. And as far as passenger comfort, my wife just commented this last weekend on how much more she liked riding on the LT as opposed to our last Ultra. If your S/O is happy, well...you know the rest.
I've owned both......and other Electra Glides before the Ultra......I can afford to ride whatever I want short of a Bimota.....my choice is the LT.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #22 of 35 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 9:54 am

Tough crowd!

The OP never asked "which is the better bike". He only asked about FD issues.

The preferred bike will depend on how you plan to ride it. If you're getting on the interstate and going coast-to-coast and border-to-border, then the UItra will serve you just fine. In fact, it may be the better choice as you should be able to find someone anywhere that can fix a Harley. Prolly not with the LT. The BMW dealer and service network gets really thin in the western states before you get to the coast.

But if you're gonna ride it in the mountains, in the hills and canyons and like to drag a knee, the LT is gonna fill your dance card much better and with more excitement. But you knew that already.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #23 of 35 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 8:18 pm

I had an 08 HD Road Glide, frame mounted fairing, ABS pretty much all the same bells and whistles that the LT has minus the powered reverse. I got rid of it for an 00 LT with 14K miles on it in October 09. I loved the looks of the HD, but I love the ride of the LT. I am going to keep it for a few years and pray/hope I don't get bit by an FD failure, and hten look for an 08/09 good deal when everyone is transitioning to the redesigned LT.
I am as patriotic as anyone, 26 year Navy Veteran, but when it comes right down to it the engineering behind the BMW is just a superior.
post #24 of 35 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 8:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have owned both the LT (current bike) and an '01 HD Ultra (replaced by the LT).

You mention in your initial post concern for comfort of a passenger. In addition to everything that has been posted here regarding the LT versus HD Ultra, I can tell you I would NEVER get my SO back on the HD Ultra after she's enjoyed thousands of miles on the pillion of the LT.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #25 of 35 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:01 am

I own a '99 K1200LT but I'm the service writer at a Harley-Davidson dealership, so perhaps I can lend my 2 cents. Stuff that breaks on a Harley doesn't seem to be the same stuff that breaks on a K-LT. From what I've seen on this forum, on a BMW you will likely never have to go deeper into the engine than a valve adjustment. But Harleys have automatic hydraulic valve lash adjustment that requires no periodic maintenance at all. If you ever have a head gasket leak on an HD though, you must pull the cylinders off the engine, install new piston rings, and new cylinder base gaskets because the headbolts go all the way through the heads, down the cylinders, and into the crankcase. Loosening them loosens the whole cylinder and necessitates new gaskets or they won't seal once re-torqued. This may need to be done after 30-50k miles. On about the same schedule as final drive replacement on a BMW, in other words. But cheaper.

So I'd say from the maintenance and cost of ownership standpoint, they're a wash. A modern HD touring bike might be marginally more maintenance intensive than a BMW, but the services seem to be less costly to perform. The style and comfort are a personal choice - I suggest doing the old pepsi-challenge and riding both back to back. If you absolutely LOVE the way an HD looks, the K-LT is gonna be lost on you and vice versa. I think both are 100% successful in achieving their stylistic goals.

Ride quality is highly subjective also, of course. Again, I like them both. They're just... different. Chassis changes made to the '09 and up HD touring bikes have yielded huge improvements in stability, rider confidence, and handling. There is room for improvement still; just as Ohlins will improve your BMW, so will Progressive Suspension and RaceTech improve your HD. Either bike will willingly drag it's floorboards/pegs in a very linear and predictable manner in the twisties. Either will feel very good to you when ridden in the manner that the bike itself promotes. For the aggreessive, discerning rider, the K-LT is at once more stable and playful in a way that the casual rider may not appreciate. And for sustained, very-high-speed riding, where the Harley is reaching the edge of it's envelope the BMW is just starting to really smooth out and spread it's wings. HD's may breathe heavy at the top end, but they have a low end grunt that can only be had with big pistons. You'd have to do something really hamfisted and abrupt to stall a modern HD big twin.

Passenger comfort is a no-brainer win for the K-LT, but ergonomic improvements were made on the '09 and '10 HD touring bikes for the benefit of the passenger, so you may find the race to be closer now. That big rubber-mounted v-twin produces a lot of vibration at low speeds and at idle, but it's high amplitude, low frequency vibration that most motorcyclists prefer to the low amplitude, high frequency buzzy stuff that inline 4s create. Once up to speed, the rubber engine mounts actually mitigate vibration very effectively and very little vibration of any kind makes it's way to the rider. Fly-by-wire throttle and Brembo ABS brakes make your job as operator of the HD very easy. Weather protection is an area of profound victory for the BMW, though.

I bought my K-LT solely on the basis of it's price as a used, 10 year old bike. If I was to get a new Harley, it would be a Road Glide. And I absolutely LOVE riding my K1200LT. It's got to be the most rider-oriented touring bike I've ever ridden. But if I had money for a new bike of this class, I wouldn't buy either. I'd get another Goldwing, of which I've had 2. Wing 1 was an '84 1200 four and Wing 2 was an '88 1500 six. I ran each to nearly 100k and other than brakes, tires, and fluids, I never spent DIME ONE on those bikes. No mechanical failures. How is it that Honda can build bulletproof engines AND drivelines, and then combine them in one chassis that can ROUTINELY rack up 200k miles with mechanical failures numbering precisely zero? And how is it that HD and BMW, two companies that have been in the game for a combined total of nearly THREE AND A HALF TIMES the length of Honda's very existence have failed to crack the apparently enigmatic code required for reliability of the most important and basic systems on the bike? I don't know. In the GS forum, I see some guy with a recent R1200 has gone through 4 final drives in 100k miles. That's just perverse. My theory is: these companies do it because we let them get away with it. How many people have wiped out or nearly done so because their final drive dumped gear oil on their rear tire? I'd like to see a Toyota-style uproar directed at BMW. Since they only sell like 4000 bikes a year here or something, I suppose that'll never happen I think if 4% of anything major failed on a Honda, people'd be throwing themselves off Tokyo bridges skyscrapers. Look how fast and thorough they were when the new GL1800 frames had problems.

Buy a Harley if it moves you. Buy a BMW if you want to get moved. Buy a Goldwing if you really like riding motorcycles and just want to keep doing that as often as possible for as long as possible with as little hassle as possible. Oh yeah, and buy a Victory Vision if you want a noisy, hot, squeaky, chintzy thing that feels, looks, and rides as if it were designed by a bunch of very skilled, intelligent people that never talked to each other.
post #26 of 35 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 9:27 am

Brother has a new Road King and loves it. He came from a Honda VTX1800. I've ridden both and although they were and are nice bikes, I don't like the riding position on them. I have an LT and an RS. I love the riding position on each and have put on 1000 mile days on both. My brother has ridden each of my bikes and would never own one. To each his own. Quiet simply, ride each and pick the bike YOU like best and feel the best on. Don't leave it up to someone else to tell you what to ride. Each bike has their own personality and character. Only thing I noticed knowing people with each bike is more of the HDs seem to be in shop than the LTs. I know others will jump on this reply but that is just what I have noticed with my friends. HD has done a fantastic job marketing their bikes. Great for them. Others could look at the techniques and learn. My hat goes off to HD and all the aftermarket things available. LT are pretty much, "what you see is what is available". Have fun picking.
post #27 of 35 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:39 am

A little less than a year ago I rode from Texas to Arizona, then up through Utah, into Wyoming, to Yellowstone, then back home with a final day doing a SS 1000. My traveling buddy was a friend on an '05 Ultra Glide. Me on the '06 LT. His bike and mine performed perfectly for the entire nearly 4000 mile trip. One time in Utah we decided to let 'em go and I outran him over a 30-40 mile stretch. Other than that, both did well, even at high altitude and got us home safely.
Here are the only differences we noted after the trip was over. His Harley used almost twice the gas that mine did. His got better gas mileage the higher the altitude while I had little to no difference in mileage the entire trip, 46 mpg. And, after the SS 1000, he was quite sore for several days and I had none of those physical problems.
Other than that, we had two good bikes helping two guys have a blast.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #28 of 35 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:52 am

You mentioned pillion comfort.............My wife has been on both and likes the LT lots more............it's nice when momma's happy..........then we all happy.................
post #29 of 35 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Thumbs up Re: K12LT or HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalsasquatch
I own a '99 K1200LT but I'm the service writer at a Harley-Davidson dealership, so perhaps I can lend my 2 cents. Stuff that breaks on a Harley doesn't seem to be the same stuff that breaks on a K-LT. From what I've seen on this forum, on a BMW you will likely never have to go deeper into the engine than a valve adjustment. But Harleys have automatic hydraulic valve lash adjustment that requires no periodic maintenance at all. If you ever have a head gasket leak on an HD though, you must pull the cylinders off the engine, install new piston rings, and new cylinder base gaskets because the headbolts go all the way through the heads, down the cylinders, and into the crankcase. Loosening them loosens the whole cylinder and necessitates new gaskets or they won't seal once re-torqued. This may need to be done after 30-50k miles. On about the same schedule as final drive replacement on a BMW, in other words. But cheaper.

So I'd say from the maintenance and cost of ownership standpoint, they're a wash. A modern HD touring bike might be marginally more maintenance intensive than a BMW, but the services seem to be less costly to perform. The style and comfort are a personal choice - I suggest doing the old pepsi-challenge and riding both back to back. If you absolutely LOVE the way an HD looks, the K-LT is gonna be lost on you and vice versa. I think both are 100% successful in achieving their stylistic goals.

Ride quality is highly subjective also, of course. Again, I like them both. They're just... different. Chassis changes made to the '09 and up HD touring bikes have yielded huge improvements in stability, rider confidence, and handling. There is room for improvement still; just as Ohlins will improve your BMW, so will Progressive Suspension and RaceTech improve your HD. Either bike will willingly drag it's floorboards/pegs in a very linear and predictable manner in the twisties. Either will feel very good to you when ridden in the manner that the bike itself promotes. For the aggreessive, discerning rider, the K-LT is at once more stable and playful in a way that the casual rider may not appreciate. And for sustained, very-high-speed riding, where the Harley is reaching the edge of it's envelope the BMW is just starting to really smooth out and spread it's wings. HD's may breathe heavy at the top end, but they have a low end grunt that can only be had with big pistons. You'd have to do something really hamfisted and abrupt to stall a modern HD big twin.

Passenger comfort is a no-brainer win for the K-LT, but ergonomic improvements were made on the '09 and '10 HD touring bikes for the benefit of the passenger, so you may find the race to be closer now. That big rubber-mounted v-twin produces a lot of vibration at low speeds and at idle, but it's high amplitude, low frequency vibration that most motorcyclists prefer to the low amplitude, high frequency buzzy stuff that inline 4s create. Once up to speed, the rubber engine mounts actually mitigate vibration very effectively and very little vibration of any kind makes it's way to the rider. Fly-by-wire throttle and Brembo ABS brakes make your job as operator of the HD very easy. Weather protection is an area of profound victory for the BMW, though.

I bought my K-LT solely on the basis of it's price as a used, 10 year old bike. If I was to get a new Harley, it would be a Road Glide. And I absolutely LOVE riding my K1200LT. It's got to be the most rider-oriented touring bike I've ever ridden. But if I had money for a new bike of this class, I wouldn't buy either. I'd get another Goldwing, of which I've had 2. Wing 1 was an '84 1200 four and Wing 2 was an '88 1500 six. I ran each to nearly 100k and other than brakes, tires, and fluids, I never spent DIME ONE on those bikes. No mechanical failures. How is it that Honda can build bulletproof engines AND drivelines, and then combine them in one chassis that can ROUTINELY rack up 200k miles with mechanical failures numbering precisely zero? And how is it that HD and BMW, two companies that have been in the game for a combined total of nearly THREE AND A HALF TIMES the length of Honda's very existence have failed to crack the apparently enigmatic code required for reliability of the most important and basic systems on the bike? I don't know. In the GS forum, I see some guy with a recent R1200 has gone through 4 final drives in 100k miles. That's just perverse. My theory is: these companies do it because we let them get away with it. How many people have wiped out or nearly done so because their final drive dumped gear oil on their rear tire? I'd like to see a Toyota-style uproar directed at BMW. Since they only sell like 4000 bikes a year here or something, I suppose that'll never happen I think if 4% of anything major failed on a Honda, people'd be throwing themselves off Tokyo bridges skyscrapers. Look how fast and thorough they were when the new GL1800 frames had problems.

Buy a Harley if it moves you. Buy a BMW if you want to get moved. Buy a Goldwing if you really like riding motorcycles and just want to keep doing that as often as possible for as long as possible with as little hassle as possible. Oh yeah, and buy a Victory Vision if you want a noisy, hot, squeaky, chintzy thing that feels, looks, and rides as if it were designed by a bunch of very skilled, intelligent people that never talked to each other.

I don't have an opinion either way and don't even really care, but I appreciate a well constructed intelligent post where I actually learn something.
Thanks.

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

post #30 of 35 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Last summer I was out on a ride and stopped at a Harley dealer and took a test ride on a new Ultra. I was very impressed with the improvements made in handling, comfort and safety. Bad and crunchy knee were making me look for a more unfolded riding position. I sold my 2003 LTE and bought an Ultra. I added a few accessories and have been riding the new HD a lot. I am very happy with the riding comfort. The HD has more storage space and more legroom for us both. The sound system is better/ I really miss the versatility of the adjustable windshield. Also, heat from the right side of the HD engine gets pretty intense on a hot day when riding slow. I wish the gas tank was bigger. I like having dealers everywhere when touring and I like the much greater choices for add ons. Overall I am happy with the change.

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper
post #31 of 35 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 1:21 am

The analysis of Digitalsasquatch is not only informative but spot on. I have owned four Harley's including two Ultra Classics and have travelled all over the Pacific Northwest with never a breakdown.

Basically there are three station wagons without doors to choose from, the LT, the Ultra and the Goldwing. The Ultra has a "retro" appeal and although upgraded in terms of braking and stability in recent years is doesn't hold a candle to the handling and weather protection of the LT. That said, as competent as the LT is I find it just that, competent, but without character. If you are afraid of possible mechanical failure the Goldwing is the way to go as they are absolutely bullet proof for the long distance rider.

If you are asking for advice - buy the one that appeals to you most and don't apologize to anyone, it's your money.

We have just purchased our first BMW, an '09 R1200RT and although we have had little chance to ride it, I'm pretty sure our Ultra will stay parked in the garage this summer and the RT will be on the road at every opportunity. So many bikes, so little time! Enjoy and ride safe.
post #32 of 35 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 2:00 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalsasquatch
....This may need to be done after 30-50k miles. On about the same schedule as final drive replacement on a BMW.............I suppose that'll never happen I think if 4% of anything major failed on a Honda,
Unfortunately, there isn't any correlation between miles and FD failures. Fortunately, post 2002 model year the FD failure rate on LT's is way below 4%. Unfortunately, you own an LT which is subject to the higher failure rate.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #33 of 35 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Howdy,
I pondered the same question, My 01 LT was a great bike and never had any failures other than the radio kept dropping speakers.I ended up with the ultra LTD. Bearing that in mind i dont ride as hard as a lot of other riders and prefer to just cruise. To me the bike felt lighter and a little more stable in the parking lot. Just looking at it will be a pain in the +&$# to clean tho. Resale value for a used LT down under is not real good either and there is only one bmw dealer where i come from and they weren't interested. As the others have said ride em both pick which ever you like best. Most important thing.. its not what you ride its that you ride.. Keep the sunny side up.
Craigo
post #34 of 35 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 12:04 pm

I currently own a 09 flhtc and a 09 1200 lt,, 25k on hd rode bear tooth pass on it,, hum that was a trip like the other post said i like the harley but i am starting to luv the lt if you ride the harley on a perfect 65 degree day no wind no rain no traffic its great,, put here in st louis in a rain storm at night it aint no fun,,if you want a high powered ballistic mile eater get the bmw ,, she will put down the miles in a hurry and smooth as silk great wind protection as well, i got caught in a rain storm the other day on lt and only my back got wet,, also wind dosent come up your leg,, terrible highway pegs though j pegs only one leg at a time for me. ,, only thing about bmw not many dealers and my closest one is 75 miles,,
post #35 of 35 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 5:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator
I currently own a 09 flhtc and a 09 1200 lt,, 25k on hd rode bear tooth pass on it,, hum that was a trip like the other post said i like the harley but i am starting to luv the lt if you ride the harley on a perfect 65 degree day no wind no rain no traffic its great,, put here in st louis in a rain storm at night it aint no fun,,if you want a high powered ballistic mile eater get the bmw ,, she will put down the miles in a hurry and smooth as silk great wind protection as well, i got caught in a rain storm the other day on lt and only my back got wet,, also wind dosent come up your leg,, terrible highway pegs though j pegs only one leg at a time for me. ,, only thing about bmw not many dealers and my closest one is 75 miles,,
While I loved my LT, I have to admit it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Electrical problems, FD failure, etc... What is it like to live with a Harley? As someone else mentioned the HD looks to be a pain to clean.

Mike,

'01 K1200 LTC-Blue
'02 Daytona 955i-Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in