Special Tool Specifications? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlauBeeMr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 1:30 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Special Tool Specifications?

Howdy! We're preparing for our Tech Session next weekend and would like to know if anyone out there has the specifications (measurements with picture or, better yet, CAD drawings) of the following special tools I've found in the Clymer's RS/GT/LT Repair manual:

Engine Special Tools:
Seal Driver, BMW PN 11 6 732, or fabricated equivalent (pg 129, A, Fig 197)
Bearing Driver, BMW PN 11 6 733, or fabricated equivalent (pg 129, B, Fig 197)

Clutch Special Tools:
Clutch Center Pin, BMW PN 21 2 673 (pg 166, C, Fig 3)....looks like this can be made out of aluminum stock and turned on a lathe....just need the dimentions!
Clutch Centering Bridge, BMW PN 21 2 672 (pg 166, D, Fig 3)

Transmission Special Tools:
Seal Guide for the input shaft seal on the housing side (pg 193, Fig 31)

Final Drive Special Tools:
Swing Arm Bearing Press-Out Tool, BMW PN 33 6 644 (pg 451, Fig 171) - how far apart are the pins?

Yes, I could tool all these from scratch after we pull it all out (I expect these will take some time to fabricate), but I'd like to have the tools in hand when we're doing the job and for later use!

Hopefully someone out there has some examples with pics, schematics/diagrams, and measurements and can post them to this thread for all to use!!!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 1:34 am

Re: Special Tool Specifications?

BFH... I got that covered...

or if you prefer.... guided inertia influencer.
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 1:36 am

If anyone has any of the tools on the list, (with exception of the Hammer:BFH), would you consider mailing to us for use?

They will not be struck with BFH..

I have the socket for the Schwingarm.

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 1:46 am

I wish... all I bought were the BFH's by the case............

If anyone does have the dwgs, please pass it on... I could have a hobby then

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 3:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
Clutch Special Tools:
Clutch Center Pin, BMW PN 21 2 673 (pg 166, C, Fig 3)....looks like this can be made out of aluminum stock and turned on a lathe....just need the dimentions!
Clutch Centering Bridge, BMW PN 21 2 672 (pg 166, D, Fig 3)
Thanks!
I got by with a 3/8 drive 8 or 9mm socket over the clutch actuating rod.

Held everything just fine while I tightened down the Clutch Rotor. Just keep checking the rod to make sure it remains loose and everything will be centered. My transmission went right on without issue.

Good luck!

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 7:31 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Special Tool Specifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
I got by with a 3/8 drive 8 or 9mm socket over the clutch actuating rod.
Held everything just fine while I tightened down the Clutch Rotor. Just keep checking the rod to make sure it remains loose and everything will be centered. My transmission went right on without issue.
Good luck!
Thanks for the tip! If no one has the specs for the center guide, your tip will sure come in handy!

Have a great day!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #7 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 10:29 am

I have most if not all of these tools already made up if you need to borrow them. Pm me with info if you are interested.
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Don,
PM sent! Thanks for the assist, it'll help us out significantly!

If there are any others out there that may have the specs for these tools, your help would be very greatly appreciated!

It looks like we may have to add a sub-forum site specifically related to tools to help others with the task of collecting this info and good ideas to make the job easier or more efficient!

Thanks,
Kenny

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #9 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 4:37 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Don,
PM sent! Thanks for the assist, it'll help us out significantly!

If there are any others out there that may have the specs for these tools, your help would be very greatly appreciated!

It looks like we may have to add a sub-forum site specifically related to tools to help others with the task of collecting this info and good ideas to make the job easier or more efficient!

Thanks,
Kenny
+1 on a Tool/Use Forum, good thought

Sounds like you guys getting ready to have some fun

I am curious on something you said asking if someone had these tools in CAD. Does that mean you have access to cut said tools?

Since to death do I part on this machine, I would love to collect what I can. Sooo if you find a way to make some of these I would for sure be interested in going in on a group effort

I also forget who posted on the puller for the seals but I would hunt that up as the plate with three screws in it looked like it got the job done, worth the read. I see this stuff and get pissed, as while I have lift and great tools, I have not even a little bit or metal working ability/tools

At any rate have a ball, read all you can on this forum related to clutch replacement, take lots of photos, this sometimes helps going back together, or at least entertains us when you post up

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF

Sounds like you guys getting ready to have some fun

I am curious on something you said asking if someone had these tools in CAD. Does that mean you have access to cut said tools?

Since to death do I part on this machine, I would love to collect what I can. Sooo if you find a way to make some of these I would for sure be interested in going in on a group effort

I also forget who posted on the puller for the seals but I would hunt that up as the plate with three screws in it looked like it got the job done, worth the read. I see this stuff and get pissed, as while I have lift and great tools, I have not even a little bit or metal working ability/tools

At any rate have a ball, read all you can on this forum related to clutch replacement, take lots of photos, this sometimes helps going back together, or at least entertains us when you post up
Amen LAF! People who have the skills necessary to do precision metal work are like gods! Me? I taught myself to stick metal together with an AC stick welder but that's as far as it goes with me! Precision turned tools made on a lathe boggle my mind. Give me a manual and a couple hours and I could probably get the thing to turn!

Carry on machinists!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Gentlemen I learned many many years ago that making tools is just about as easy as making scraps. All that is involved is have a picture in your mind of what it will look like ( as well as a few measurements) and cut everything off that doesn't look like it belongs to that part. Just that easy.
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 7:57 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dbweldor
Gentlemen I learned many many years ago that making tools is just about as easy as making scraps. All that is involved is have a picture in your mind of what it will look like ( as well as a few measurements) and cut everything off that doesn't look like it belongs to that part. Just that easy.

And you know what? I believe to you, it is just that easy

To me, well ADHD, Dyslexia, and Halfheimer collide when I see metal. Seriously I played with tig, and mig, and ran a few grinders, some wicked saws, a water saw, and other stuff just enough to know it was not me. And I just never added those types of tools to my collection. Bench grinder/wire wheel is about as close as I get

Back in the day you could run 20 minuets and get just about anything welded up, and those guys were wizards. Little tougher to find now and the old bucks are dieing off.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 9:22 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF

I also forget who posted on the puller for the seals but I would hunt that up as the plate with three screws in it looked like it got the job done, worth the read.
I believe you are talking about our very own Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius!!!!

The seal puller he made up does the job quite well it appears. If you are removing the rear main. I would highly suggest this of something simular. It took a lot of head scratching to remove the last one I did...

Here is the post..

it appears he made up his own Clutch Center Pin as well..

Also, Its 6:30 here on the west coast. I'll give it until midnight PST before Ari, chimes in.. I think his pinky toe hurts when his name is mentioned on the forum....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Last edited by shoswell; Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:32 pm.
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Smile Pics of Special Tool (update)

Here's the first of several posts for special tools created for the Round Rock Tech Session.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Tools Bearing Driver.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	26549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Tools Bearing Driver 2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	26550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Tools 3.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	26551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Tools Clutch Housing Holder.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	26552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Tools Clutch Holder Bar.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	26553  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Special Tools.pdf (1.51 MB, 191 views)
mcracer likes this.

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #15 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
The seal puller he made up does the job quite well it appears. If you are removing the rear main. I would highly suggest this of something simular. It took a lot of head scratching to remove the last one I did...

it appears he made up his own Clutch Center Pin as well..
Hoss,
Thanks! I like the seal puller plate idea ....once I get the seal, I'll make a circular template and cut a circular disk and drill three holes for screws (I may use smaller holes so I don't have any problems with the fit or scratching any surfaces).

since I don't have an extra push rod sitting around anywhere, I'll try and figure something out....perhaps next week I'll turn some stock metal to varying thicknesses up to .98" so it'll support multiple different sizes and keep the seal/bearing/race on center.

I'm hoping my bike is only apart for the day for the Tech Session....I gag at the thought of taking up Chann's lift for longer than that .....plus the weather here is perfect for riding!

Cheers!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #16 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 12:27 am

Garage

Quote:
since I don't have an extra push rod sitting around anywhere,
Just use your OEM push rod, You are just holding the center point. The rubber Ari, fashioned is to hold the rod in place while its centered. Once the clutch plate it torques down, the rod will be removed. You'll maybe use it for 1-2 minutes. 1-2 hours if you have help from the collective....

Or do like most of us do.....eye ball it. Using ample amounts of Kentucky windage!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in