Help LT does not stay runing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Red face Help LT does not stay runing

I have a 2007 K1200LT with 10,7500 miles on it and it will not stay running, GS-911 says no faults and that the landba control systems not running I checked the plugs and they are black, air filter is clean vent lines seam ok so I tied opening the gas cap and disconect the vent lines too , changed out the O2 sensor $$$$ ,the bike starts idles bad and if I rev it up really fast I can keep it running but not good, if I try to just twist the throttle it dies,
Help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Red face Re: Help LT does not stay runing

Well that did not work! I pulled all the fuses and did what was said with the turn the key on and twist the throttle twice and shut the key off , and it still runs Bad and when I give it the throttle it dies. in the diagram it shows 3 fuse boxes and on my 2007 I could only find two. I assume that there is only two fuse boxes in the newer LT'S ?
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 11:38 am

Re: Help LT does not stay runing

Sounds like a fuel issue hows the filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1
I have a 2007 K1200LT with 10,7500 miles on it and it will not stay running, GS-911 says no faults and that the landba control systems not running I checked the plugs and they are black, air filter is clean vent lines seam ok so I tied opening the gas cap and disconect the vent lines too , changed out the O2 sensor $$$$ ,the bike starts idles bad and if I rev it up really fast I can keep it running but not good, if I try to just twist the throttle it dies,
Help please

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Pull the ECU Fuse and let it sit over nite.
Put the fuse back in.

Now reset the TPS
Turn Key to ON
Roll Throttle to Full ON
Roll Throttle to Full Off
Roll Throttle to Full ON
Roll Throttle to Full Off
Turn Key to Off

Now crank it and let it idle without touching the throttle.
Hope it helps.
For future use, which number is the ECU fuse? What does it control?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 12:08 pm

You are right, the diagram is for the pre 2005 bikes, later ones only have two boxes.

I think the fuse Dave is talking about is the 10 amp fuse # 2 in box # 1 ( left side looking from behind ).
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
ECU - Engine Control Unit
Pulling the fuse allows the unit to drop all of it's learned curves and data points.
Puts the ECU back to the base fuel curve.
Resetting the TPS = Throttle Position Sensor insures proper throttle reading.

All that out of the way, sounds like a fuel issue.
I'm guessing that is fuse #4, the Motronic fuel pump and diagnosis one 15A.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Maybe on the older bikes but on the newer ones the fuel pump and CO2 sensor fuse is a 10 amp fuse in box 2 fuse # 3
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Key on. Do you hear the fuel pump running ? Should run for 5 seconds or so and then shut off.

If it sounds like it's working. I guess I'd check the pressure at the fuel rail. Maybe the fuel filter hose has come loose inside the tank...

You also never mentioned it it's been sitting a while.
Could also be that someone has built a home in your airbox....Something else to check while you have the tank off.

Keep us posted.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; Mar 4th, 2010 at 5:19 pm.
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Had same problem 4 months ago. I came home from a nice day of riding. The next morning I started the bike and it stalled out. Tried 3 more times and did the same thing again. I tried a number of things but nothing helped. Then I remembered I fill up the fuel tank late yesterday. Well on a hunch I completely drain my gas tank with my vacuum pump into a glass jug. No water or dirt found in the fuel. I put in fresh gas and the bike ran fine ever since. Later on I forgot about the bad gas and put it into my snow machine. It would not start. It was the first time in over 30 years of riding that I ever got bad gas. Hope you find out what your problem is. Good luck Harold

'05 K1200 LT
93 R100 gspd
'94 Honda PC800
'76 BMW R75
'76 Suzuki GT500
'69 Benz 280SL
post #10 of 17 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 8:19 am

Hmmm...odd. Perhaps a vacuum leak somewhere? What about the rubber boots where the throttle bodies connect to the intake manifold?...maybe one (or more) of the boots are cracked...allowing way too much air in? Just a guess.

Another potential is a bad batch of gas. Does the gas smell ok? Any strange smell in the exhaust gas after you've run it at these high RPMS? Any chance diesel fuel got in there?

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

That really sounds like water in the gas. Since water is heavier than gas, it's always going to be at the bottom of the tank. It's been mentioned several times on this post, but had you recently filled the bike? Before doing anything else, I would definitely drain the tank and start with some fresh fuel.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 17 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Well this is what I have for info, fuel pump works,bike runs rich vary rich to the point it smells up the place bad and burns the eyes, air box and all are clean and free of anything, I would not think it would be the injetor boots cuz it would run lean? and it runs rich plugs are black.Could it be the fuel pump regulator? and if so how do I check it?
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have a fuel pressure gage setup for the BMW quick disconnects. If your up to working on it this sunday I'll ride over & bring everything I have for checking the fuel system.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Thank you for the offer, but I have one also just have not checked it yet , I though because it was burning rich that would not be a factor, that the fuel pump was working ? Being that it is fuel injected I thought the injectors would only let in so much fuel? could the fuel pressure regulator be letting to much fuel in?
post #15 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:50 pm

mrb1, pretty sure you want saddleman's help. Do a search on his posts. I don't have a rideability problem and he's welcome to come to my house ANYTIME!!! I'll even buy the beer! Do a search on his posts. The dude knows his bidnizz!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Check the fuel pressure. I could be the the fuel pressure regulator isn't relieving at the designated pressure. I think that your system should be running at 30PSI but I check a manual to verify that.
post #17 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 6:54 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

1) Did you ride in wet weather/ if so, you probably picked up water through the vent hose by the license plate. You have a clogged charcoal cannister.

Do the cannisterectomy (check the FAQ) and you should have no issues. Been there done that and never had issues.

2) If you overfilled your gas tank, you have a clogged charcoal cannister....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in