Help! Stuck in First Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Help! Stuck in First Gear

I have been having a bit of trouble getting into gear after doing reverse and forward cycles. I usually had to shift up and down several times to get it into first or second. Last week, I shifted into first gear after switching back to "FWD" and it is now stuck. The shift lever moves up, but I can't get it out of first or into neutral...it felt a bit different when it went into gear this time - I wonder if something in the linkage is fouled up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 4:22 pm Thread Starter

Re: Help! Stuck in First Gear

I forgot to mention that the bike is a 1997 with 54,000 miles...
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Garage

Sounds like the slave cylinder is fried. I had the same symptoms on my LT two years ago.

I would recommend waiting on some other opinions first because I know squat about bikes.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Have you tried bumping the bike forward or back a bit as you flip the lever from R to F? I'm thinking that the something in the mechanism is still in contact and pressure preventing movement. I've had this happen, and until you can move the lever fully to the "F" you're locked into neutral.

Motor On ,/'

post #5 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

I usually rock it forward before trying to move the lever to "FWD". That seemed to make it easier to shift to first. But the LT is now stuck in 1st gear...
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:50 am

I'm guessing you are riding the bike on the street when you find it won't go into second gear? If not, have you put it on the center stand and shifted through the gears with the engine running? Is the clutch working properly when the lever is squeezed, engine running, and trans in first gear? .

If I find the bike doesn't go into first gear from neutral, I let the bike roll forward or backwards while pressing the shift lever down slightly. If you are having to force the transmission into first gear by stomping on the shifter, something's gonna give.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Last edited by wacolt; Mar 1st, 2010 at 6:58 am.
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Question Re: Help! Stuck in First Gear

Yes, I started down the street and it would not go into second. I put it on the centrer stand with the engine running and tried to shift, but no joy. The clutch works (takes the bike out of gear when activated). I tried to break something loose by "popping" the clutch--the gear engages with a jerk, but the problem still exists!
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 11:55 am

Could it be broken linkage?
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Could it be broken linkage?
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head.....

I'm betting you've broken your shift linkage.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:27 pm

You have a spring inside the transmission that directs the pawl as to which way to direct the shifting drum. It sounds like this spring is broken. BMW has an update for this spring as it was a problem on some models. The part is less than ten dollars, however to install this spring you have to pull the transmission out, remove the front plate from the transmission and install the spring. Once you get the transmission apart it takes about 15 minutes to install the spring and button up the transmission. Then put your bike back together.
My 99 had two bearings going out of the tranny when I bought it. I replaced all 6 bearings in the tranny. I took a good look inside at how the tranny lubes the bearings and didn't like what I saw. So to get gear oil onto the bearings continually I pulled the seals off the bearings and installed said bearings.
Also I found out about the spring update and did that while I was there. All clutch related parts, and all seals in the general area while I'm there.
Haven't had any problems since, shifts smooth as silk, no clutch problems. In fact the wife and I took the old girl for a short 50 mile ride last saturday just to get used to rolling down the road for this season.
I hope this is not you problem as it takes 8 hours to get to this spring and 8 hours to put her back together, But if it fixes her it's well worth it.
GOOD LUCK
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 8:03 pm

If it has been shifting hard it may just be a simple linkage problem.

The linkage needs to be cleaned and greased from time to time. The harder it shifts the more stress you put on the linkage. Before I started worrying about a transmission problem I would take the left peg off and move the shift linkage with my hand and make sure it is making the travel necessary to engage the transmission mechanics.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in