K1200LT '99 Service Matrix - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT '99 Service Matrix

After the threat of a £1,900 bill for my last service and a few 'extras' that needed doing (see one of my other threads), I've bitten the bullet and decided to do all but major servicing myself on my '99 LT. I've got a BMW Shop Manual, but whilst everything I might need is in there, figuring out which bits need to come off and what consumables or tools are required for each service each time I have to give 'George' a bit of TLC is a bit of a pain in the rear and I've got better things to do with my time, like get the Babe on the back and hit the Road!.

So, I thought I'd do the job properly and make myself a 'Service Matrix' which tells me what I need to do, what I need to buy, what tools I'll need and what bits I need to take off to do it all; pointing me to the right pages in the BMW Manual along the way. I thought I'd contribute to the community by sharing my work; after all I've taken plenty of advice from this great forum :-)

The Matrix is in Excel 2003 format, so you'll either need that version or a later one, or you could download the Excel Viewer from Microsoft (type 'Excel Viewer' into Google and you'll find it easy enough). I suppose I could do a PDF version, but that would lose the service selection functionality; but if anyone needs a PDF version sing out and I'll upload one.

It includes an extended version of the Shop Manual's maintenance schedule, but also has the functionality to allow you to select which service you're performing and it will give you a checklist to tick off showing mandatory and optional items and highlight any measurements, consumables. gaskets, seals and special tools you might need.

Feel free to make suggestions or highlight errors and I'll update it, or by all means just rip it off to do a version for later models (or other bikes for that matter). I've included a column for Clymner Manual page numbers so if someone feels like doing a bit of reading and updating, we could have a combined version for everyone :-) There are a few formulae in there and some conditional formatting, but it's not too clever ;-)

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: xls K1200LT 99 Maintenance Matrix.xls (46.5 KB, 114 views)

2004 BMW K1200LT Blue (Derek)
1999 BMW K1200LT Champagne (George, ret'd to the seaside)
1976 Honda CB400F Maroon (The Beauty)

Last edited by mbenn42; Feb 28th, 2010 at 4:33 pm. Reason: Fix problem with current service selection formulae and select main sheet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Re: K1200LT '99 Service Matrix

Thanks Michael for all your hard work, I will certainly use it for future services and will imput the Clymer manual page numbers.
SlŠinte
Derek

May you be in Heaven half an hour before the Devil knows your dead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in