Quick Canister Question and Observation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 27th, 2010, 4:16 pm Thread Starter
Sit

Quick Canister Question and Observation

As some of you may have read, I am the new owner of an 05 LT.

But of course being a new owner, coming from R bikes, I am a nervous nelly.

I just did the canisterectomy on my bike since I tend to fill my tanks all the way, as much as possible and then some. Did not want to collapse my tank etc. So I got to the canister and got it off with no problems. The hose that runs up the left side of the bike I capped with a screw as suggested in other threads. The tube up the right side, to vent the tank I unthreaded to its cable tie about the front of the battery, then passed it along side the battery and down to a eye bolt type nylon loop with another vent line running through it.

Now the issue, this other vent line was actually pushed to the rear and venting right in front of, actully on the tire. The tire was rubbing it. This did not seem correct so I moved it forward into the Y of the swingarm. I routed the tank vent line to the same location, in the Y. My concern is that this is just an inch or so from the catalytic converter. In the event that I do get a wee bit too much gas in the tank and it exits this tube, is it too close to the Cat? And is this the correct place for the other hose to be? Is this where others route the vent tube?

Oh and my observation, for new LT riders, if you want to move your top case to the rear mount, or do the canisterectomy and may want the top case moved, do them at the same time! Don't do like I did and move the case, and then all proud of myself decide to do the canister only to find out the case has to come off! Entire thing takes maybe 15 mintues to do both. Do them at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 27th, 2010, 5:26 pm

Re: Quick Canister Question and Observation

Not sure I understand, but here is what I did. The tube from the engine is closed off. Screw is OK non-threaded plug is better. The tube from the tank is vented down, doesn't really matter where. I put mine down where the battery vent tube would be and tie wrapped it with the other vent tubes. The tube from the canister to the rear of the bike can be removed. Sounds like you did good. Nothing touching the cat is good.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 27th, 2010, 5:43 pm Thread Starter
Sit

I put the largest screw I could get to fit in the tube and put silicon around it so as it screwed in, it should have sealed it even more. The vent tube is routed to the Y in the swing arm that opens towards the front of the bike. It just seems kinda close to the cat, but sounds like it may be ok?

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:08 am

I connected the tank vent tube TO the old cannister vent tube with a piece of 3/16" (I think) steel brake line and zip tied it into place. Looks kinda cool~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0026.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	28198  
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
I put the largest screw I could get to fit in the tube and put silicon around it so as it screwed in, it should have sealed it even more. The vent tube is routed to the Y in the swing arm that opens towards the front of the bike. It just seems kinda close to the cat, but sounds like it may be ok?
Be aware, gasoline attacks silicone. Should not cause you a problem in your application, but it will not seal the tube as intended.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in