mixed tire brands? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

mixed tire brands?

Would you hesitate running a Metz on the back and another brand (maybe a dunny) on the front? Would it have an adverse effect? The Metz are alot more expensive.

And...where do you get your tires....if....on lne?

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Re: mixed tire brands?

I use a Metz on the front and a B-stone on the back, second set...front was from lthe enet, back was from the dealer, different time intervils...

Jim

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:57 pm

I'm currently running an Avon on the front and Bstone on the back. No problems I've detected from that. I've also had a Metz on the back and Bstone on the front with no issues.

As long as your load rated, go for it.

I haven't run the Dunlop, but, wouldn't hesitate to try.

www.swmototires.com has a good reputation, although I haven't had any first hand experience. When I'm due, I'll do a search for the model tire I'm looking for and go from there. If you have (or have access to) a tire changer, then you're good, otherwise your at the mercy of a shop (that sells tires) to mount yours. Kinda like bringing your own steak to the restaurant.

Ride safe.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 1:55 am

3 sets of mismatch ... Avon front, Bridgestone rear.
No troubles what so ever.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #5 of 8 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:28 am

Did Dunlop come out with a tire load rated for the LT? Last I heard, they didn't have one.

I have run mixed brands (properly load rated) with no issues.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:04 am

I just purchased a set of Dunlop D205 from Dennis Kirk two weeks ago. The front was 80.63 and the rear was 129.99 for a total of 210.62 to my front door.
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:54 am

I have always run a matched set of Metzeler 880's on my LT. Although they are more expensive than other brands (such as Bridgestone, which was the factory-supplied tire on my LT), they last considerably longer. I just mounted new front and rear Metzeler's to replace the ME 880's on the bike. The tires had nearly 17000 miles on the front, and almost 19000 on the rear when replaced

www.cyclegear.com has pretty good prices for the ME880's
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Did Dunlop come out with a tire load rated for the LT? Last I heard, they didn't have one.
Dunlop does not make the 205 for 2005 and later models... There are still some 205's laying around, but from my last conversation with Dunlop, the 205 is not being made. And I would be paying close attention to the MAN date on those 205's you get for a 2005 or later LT.

Tire folks will tell you that mismatched tires is not a good thing. In some respects, they are right. Do you run 3 Michelin's and one Firestone on your sled? I hope not. In motorcycle circles, the same thought process can be observed. The front tire compliments the rear tire. For example, in wet conditions, the front tire is designed to sheet away water in a specific pattern so that the rear tire will not be in a wet patch as it travels in the line.

Conversely, in hard cornering, a mismatched set of tires could cause the motorcycle to "push". In some cases, this is a desirable effect... In some cases, it can cause a sever case of pucker factor.

Most motorcycle folks know that the thought process observed above is subject to personal thinking and preference. The fact that some folks run different front and rear shoes should be considered only after doing some thinking on your own.

Personally, I like running the same fronts and rears. I won't mismatch my car, I won't mismatch my motorcycle... but that's just me. In fact, I have heard horror stories of folks running soft compound tires (AVON and BRIDGY's) and having a wicked high speed wiggle from this combo. Yet, the same front and back shoes, and the wiggle goes away... go figure...

How you ride is your personality. Remember, these folks on this forum are not you. You make the decision on how you set up your motorcycle. Use our advice as just that... advice.

Give it a try. If it works for you, let it rip... If it doesn't, you will know...

my $.02

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in