Any suggestions on an after-market alarm? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Any suggestions on an after-market alarm?

Hello All,

I just purchased an 00 K12LT and would like to put an after-market alarm on it. I searched the forum but didn't see anything much on suggestions. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks,

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Any suggestions on an after-market alarm?

Spend that money on a low deductible insurance policy. Seriously, BMWs have a low theft rate. That and you'll never have to mess with the cycle not starting because of an alarm malfunction. With that said, I carry a driveway alert motion sensor with me when I travel. I set the IR transmitter on the seat and put the cover on the bike. The receiver goes in the motel room with me and the handgun. It's not for everyone but it's cheap and effective.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:35 pm

Just saw THIS AND This Too
on Ebay, FWIW.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Last edited by joegottberg; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Saw another Alarm

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Good idea! Yeah, my deductible is pretty low so I'm not worried about that so much. I just don't want some idiot to take my bike. Thanks for the suggestion!
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
Just saw THIS AND This Too
on Ebay, FWIW.

Great idea! I must have missed them when I searched. Do I need both units or just the motion sensor will work? I really don't want the starter kill, if that is in the other unit. Thanks!
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 12:09 am

I would think you need both, but, even after I sent the links, I believe you may need a fob to turn it on and off. There is a programming procedure in the alarm book (may already be on the site, but I can scan mine if needed).

Really depends what you're trying to do, protect it from a joy rider, vandal, tow-job. That will determine what you'll need. Simple Kill switch may be all you need or a bike cover with a lock.

My suspicion is the BMW harness is set for the alarm (must have been an option in 00), mine has the central locking and alarm. I love it and use it all the time You may get lucky with the Ebay guy if he knows anything about how it was hooked up to his bike. I'd probably start with posting a question to him and maybe take out an unique (new) e-mail account for him to send you some info. Can't hurt.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:51 am

Since the bike weighs around 800lbs, have you considered a front disc brake-lock with tether?

About $40.00

Mine looks like a hand grenade, never had an issue

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 3:17 am

I've got one I never installed on my 00.
Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 6:18 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes, I've had the disc locks on my sports bike when I use to ride them and I thought about it. I guess I am looking for something like my car with a fob and shock sensor. I'll contact the eBay guy now and start asking questions and keep looking around.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 27th, 2010, 5:10 am

Ooooops.
Sorry.
Mine's a factory unit.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 27th, 2010, 7:15 am

The alarm on this bike might help a little but I wonder if it really is significant.. Someone wanting to steal what I call a BFG (Big Fat Pig) would really have to have planned the event and I can't imagine the alarm stopping it. It's seems way to easy to pull the battery!

Just saw the movie Noise, not PG rated, and it shows what I see every time I visit the big city. Even around here in Tampa, alarms go off all the time and most often, they are ignored.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 27th, 2010, 9:45 am

"It's seems way to easy to pull the battery!"

That won't do you any good. When my alarm receiver malfunctioned the alarm was good for several days while attempting to solve the problem. That alarm unit has a backup batttery and disconnecting the MC main battery doesn't have any effect on the volume of the damn alarm. Neighbors didn't seem too bothered by it but I thought it was a royal pain.

Car alarms seem to go off regularly in cities-I'm not certain that anyone pays attention to them these days. Who wants to steal a BFP? It was hard enough for the tow truck driver and myself loading the beast on his tilt bed truck. I haven't used the alarm regularly since. I do like the power locks though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in