HELP!! Strange noise on start up attempt!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:35 am Thread Starter

HELP!! Strange noise on start up attempt!!

Howdy All:
Had a relatively warm day yesterday (i.e above freezing), and tried to start the 1999 K1200LT, which is kept in a garage with a trickle charger on it.
Two problems sprung up. First, a strange whirring noise started as soon as I turned the key on, which I assume is the fuel pump, except it kept whirring away.
Second, when I pressed the start key I got a strange clicking/whirring sound (starter?) and the bike did not start.
I searched through the forums and found a few postings that sounded close, but I was hoping that someone might be able to provide me with some direction about how to remedy this problem.
Thanks in advance.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: HELP!! Strange noise on start up attempt!!

Before you get too excited, try a jump start. It could be as simple as corroded battery connections or a failed battery. You can also compare the voltage on the battery posts to that on the cable ends. Any difference indicates corrosion. A fully charged battery should show about 12.6-7.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:46 am

Sounds like a low battery. If the voltage is just slightly low, it won't start. Give it a good charge and then try. A trickle charger will not get my battery high enough to start unless it was just a little low.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 2:49 pm

You may have the dreaded sprag clutch problem. There is a one-way clutch on the starter assembly that "grabs" when the starter motor turns, and slips when the engine is turning faster than the starter. (it slips all the time the engine is running). This is what is normally known as a "Sprag" clutch, invented by Formsprag decades ago, and used in many industrial applications, and yes, in the "Brick" K engine.

If the sprags stick because of carbon/sludge buildup between them and their holding "cage", you get the whirring of the starter motor, but no engagement.

You can bump start the engine if the sprag clutch is not engaging, and with a little luck you can add either CD-2, or Rislone DETERGENT additive and hopefully get the assembly cleaned up enough to relieve the sticking.

Replacing that sprag clutch cage assembly is one WITCH of a job, don,t ask me how I know. I had to replace the pistons in my LT once, the sprag clutch replacement was a far harder job.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 5:01 pm

If you remove the right hand crankcase cover, you can see the starter clutch. With some carb cleaner or something like that in a spray can you can put the noozle right in the oil hole for the starter clutch mechanisum and clean it that way .
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 6:14 am

Talking Re: HELP!! Strange noise on start up attempt!!

First thing to do is check the hose clamps on the fuel pump.

The fuel pump should build up pressure and STOP before activating the starter. The engine won't start and run long with no fuel pressure.

If that's OK, then address the starter problem as mentioned above.

just my 2 cents worth.

My fuel pump is OK it's the darned SNOW that's giving me fits.

I keep watching to see who is riding and to see where they live, LOL

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in