Brake calipers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Brake calipers

Can anyone tell me if Brembo calipers are available for a 2007 LT. I am having some issues with the BMW calipers as fitted and would appreciate any info.....thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 1:25 pm

Re: Brake calipers

Whats the problem with the bmw calipers .
regards numbnuts .
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 3:24 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmered
Can anyone tell me if Brembo calipers are available for a 2007 LT. I am having some issues with the BMW calipers as fitted and would appreciate any info.....thx
If you are speaking to the "Brembo" that is embossed on earlier models, yes. Because they are the same thing, they just changed the branding to BMW on the newer bikes.... If you are asking if Brembo makes an aftermarket replacement for the calipers they made for BMW, most likely not as BMW pretty much had their outside vendors swear not to make parts that were available outside of the stealer. As an example J&M made the BC3 comsystem for BMW available on the 03 and older bikes (I think) not until recently were they able to sell parts themselves...

As if we didn't know that BMW is "elitist" enough. They corner the market on BMW OEM parts as well...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 4:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I believe Brembo makes all the brakes for BMW even the ones marked "BMW".

If you want to use an older style caliper they will not fit the fork legs. You will have to change out to pre- 10/2000 fork legs.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 5:14 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I believe Brembo makes all the brakes for BMW even the ones marked "BMW".

If you want to use an older style caliper they will not fit the fork legs. You will have to change out to pre- 10/2000 fork legs.
You will also have to change the front wheel,rotors & ABS sensor.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 5:50 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I cant speak for all but I am curious, what is wrong as fitted?

A description of issue/issues may lead to a pretty quick solution around here

Come on share................

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Thx to those that replied....without being too long winded I am presently negotiating the purchase of a 2007 LT from a private seller. The bike only has 4000 Km on the clock which means it's been standing idle way too long ( rich boy and his toy). I test rode it and the braking was suspect, pulling sideways at slow speed. On checking the front discs the left side disc appeared not to have been braking, (not shiny) which leads me to suspect frozen caliper piston/pistons. My 2000 LT ( just sold it ) has Brembo marked calipers and I thought if I have to change the calipers (both left and right) then I would like to fit Brembo's.

Please bear with my inexperience as I read from the above that Brembo supply the BMW marked calipers.

My dilemma is should I change both front and rear calipers? If one froze what condition may the others be in or will riding it regularly keep the brakes in good shape? Are they serviceable or is changing the best option?

thanks again to those taking the time to reply....Brian
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 10:17 pm

Garage

Quote:
Thx to those that replied....without being too long winded I am presently negotiating the purchase of a 2007 LT from a private seller. The bike only has 4000 Km on the clock which means it's been standing idle way too long ( rich boy and his toy). I test rode it and the braking was suspect, pulling sideways at slow speed. On checking the front discs the left side disc appeared not to have been braking, (not shiny) which leads me to suspect frozen caliper piston/pistons. My 2000 LT ( just sold it ) has Brembo marked calipers and I thought if I have to change the calipers (both left and right) then I would like to fit Brembo's.

Please bear with my inexperience as I read from the above that Brembo supply the BMW marked calipers.

My dilemma is should I change both front and rear calipers? If one froze what condition may the others be in or will riding it regularly keep the brakes in good shape? Are they serviceable or is changing the best option?

thanks again to those taking the time to reply....Brian

Ask and ye shall recieve, mate!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50852

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #9 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 9:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Looking to enlarge my knowledge on this one. Can someone tell me if (actually why) a failing caliper on a dual caliper wheel could cause the bike to pull to one side? It doesn't make sense to me.

post #10 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
... Can someone tell me if (actually why) a failing caliper on a dual caliper wheel could cause the bike to pull to one side? ...
I give up. Can't figure why that would happen. There is no sideways momentum applied to the tire contact patch- unlike in a 4-wheeled vehicle.

After all, there are bikes with only one disc brake up front (my old KLR's come to mind) - and they do run straight.

Or, is it a hypothetical question?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #11 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

The OP said the bike in question pulled left at low speeds which made no sense to me. There might be another issue he needs to look at.

post #12 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
The OP said the bike in question pulled left at low speeds which made no sense to me. There might be another issue he needs to look at.
I'm fast slipping into unknown territory here....the bike felt as if it pulled to the right at slow speeds down a slight incline into my basement parking. Upon examination the left caliper appeared not to have worked as hard as the right caliper, however I'm now suspecting the tyres may also be a contributing factor. Upon close examination and after removing the tyre black that someone has applied I can see fine side wall cracks in both tyres which suggest the tyres have started to harden and lose their suppleness. Checked the date and they were manufactured 10/06.
In the Middle East with very high summer temperatures and high UV levels the tyres, if unused for any length of time, deteriorate at a much faster rate than would be expected in more temperate zones. This machine has done less then 4000 Kms in 3 years. I'm therefore planning to ask the dealer to change the tyres (they are not selling the bike and appear reluctant to offer opinions) and then take it for another test ride. Both front calipers have now been removed ( by the dealer) and the piston movement confirmed on both. It's highly likely that my test ride started to free them up and with more constant use should not become an issue again.

I'm unsure what else to look for, any suggestions welcomed....
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 1:14 pm

IIRC the early calipers were from Brembo, but not the later ones. Tokico or some other Japanese name... can't recall for sure.
Also when was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #14 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 2:56 pm

Garage

Updated my post link in #8 to include the original pictures....Sorry 'bout that.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #15 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Brake calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Updated my post link in #8 to include the original pictures....Sorry 'bout that.
Thx everyone, the deal is done, proud owner of a 'new' low mileage LT. Changed the tyres and confirmed the pistons are now free in the front calipers, what a difference! The bike goes where I point it and pulls up smooth at whatever speed I'm travelling.

from one happy guy........

Last edited by Brianmered; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 12:55 pm.
post #16 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Thx everyone, the deal is done, proud owner of a 'new' low mileage LT. Changed the tyres and confirmed the pistons are now free in the front calipers, what a difference! The bike goes where I point it and pulls up smooth at whatever speed I'm travelling.

from one happy guy........
I love it when a story has a happy ending.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in