K1200LT pricing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 7:48 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT pricing

Hi all,

I am brand new to this board and have been lurking for the past week or so. Great board, great members, great info.

I haven't ridden for many years and now planning to get back into things this season. I am debating the selection of a K1200LT, an R1200RT and a K1300GT. I am leaning towards the LT because I am hoping my wife (a total bike virgin) will ride with me but one never knows.

I am weighing the choice between a new bike and a used one. Trouble is, there's no new LTs available...so, it's either a new RT or GT or a used LT

Looking at used LTs, being in Canada, there's not much on the market and so I am looking in the US and prices are all over the place.

So here's my question - is there any collective wisdom as to what a really clean LT will / should go for by year of manufacture (1999, 2000, 2001 - 2008)?

Any insights would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Re: K1200LT pricing

There are new LT's in Kansas City. Come on down you can stay at my place. I bought a new one last year and I LOVE EVERY POUND OF IT!!!
post #3 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Sold my 00 Lt this time last year, with 53,000km for $10,500 cdn.
Miss it very much, but wanted the newer features available from BMW,
and went with the GT.
Wish I could have them both
A clean used LT is a very good buy now, as many wait in anticipation for the next full touring machine. I predict it to be a 2011 K1600LT inline 6, not a big stretch of a guess.

The GT is a very good touring machine as well but not quite the comfy couch the LT is.
Depends how much 2 up your into, best part of the GT is the newer technology and the ability to "strip" the luggage off, and let the 160hp thrill the chit out of you

Good luck, try to ride em all b4 u buy.

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:33 pm

I sit here with an 09 LT in the garage saving my pennies for the GT. What a combination. I would buy the GT first. WIth the TopCase your wife should be comfortable for some short Sunday rides. If she really likes it then add the LT to the collection. This is a professional recommendation from your friends on the LT forum. I am sure your wife will thank you for following our direction....some day
post #5 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Look for the book value in NADA.com. I paid 6100.00 for a 99 LT with 15000 miles on the clock last September.

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #6 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:42 pm

...and price has little to do with what you GET... the LT, cared for properly should hold it's water much better than it does...

Love my '05...
post #7 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:51 pm

I was in Westside Motorsports in Spokane Wa. today, one of the new BMW dealers. He had all models on the floor except an LT. I ask why. He wanted one but the rep said to wait, the new six cylinders are coming in late 2010 or early 2011.
post #8 of 27 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth
Hi all,

I am brand new to this board and have been lurking for the past week or so. Great board, great members, great info.

I haven't ridden for many years and now planning to get back into things this season. I am debating the selection of a K1200LT, an R1200RT and a K1300GT. I am leaning towards the LT because I am hoping my wife (a total bike virgin) will ride with me but one never knows.

I am weighing the choice between a new bike and a used one. Trouble is, there's no new LTs available...so, it's either a new RT or GT or a used LT

Looking at used LTs, being in Canada, there's not much on the market and so I am looking in the US and prices are all over the place.

So here's my question - is there any collective wisdom as to what a really clean LT will / should go for by year of manufacture (1999, 2000, 2001 - 2008)?

Boy you sure have a tough choice. Getting back into bikes and hoping your wife might like it too. My wife had been riding with me locally for about 15 years on Harley's. A couples years ago I figured OK I'll upgrade to a first class touring bike and she'll ride even more. Bought my brand spanking new 2009 LT and 20 minutes into the first ride she said take me home! She was visibly rattled. For years she was comfortable if she could sit down at my level and close with her hands on my hips. Once she got elevated and pushed back on the LT she was completely out of her comfort zone. How the heck was I supposed to know this kinda stuff! BTW she still hasn't gotten back on the bike.

The reason I bring it up is that being a passenger requires a whole lot of trust. The LT can be very unforgiving a parking lot speeds,especially with a passenger on board. I'd hate to see your wife turned off because you joined the "I just dropped my LT" club. The RT on the other hand is a super motorcycle for 1 or 2.

Have you though about renting a bike and taking your wife out for the day to see if she's going to like it? Renting a bike for a couple hundred dollars is kinda cheap all thing considered. I love my LT but if I had known I'd be riding solo now the GT would probably be in my garage now. Good luck!

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #9 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 1:21 am

Quote:
Hi all,

Great dilemna to have. I recently purchased a well used 1999 K1200LT with 47,000 miles on it for $5500...spent another $1800 at San Jose BMW getting all fluids replaced, filters, rear brake disc replace and new pads, etc. just to make sure everything was in good operating order. Love the bike, love the ride...and my wife rides with me as often as possible and says it is a waaaay comfortable ride for her as well.

Your real challenge is deciding whether or not you'll be having a rider most of the time. The LT is wonderful for two up touring.

However, if you're going solo you might want to try out the K1300GT...an awesome ride. I took out the demo bike and absolutely loved it. But it would be no where as comfortable for your passenger...a different ride all together. Also...a bit of caution if you're just getting back into it...careful with the K1300 GT - a huge amount of power (140hp) and might be a bit too much for starting off.

Best wishes in your decision making. It's hard to go wrong.
post #10 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, feedback and suggestions thus far. Great food for thought.

I agree that I don't want to bite off more than I can chew (a la GT) but I am a cautious rider and am not prone to twisting the throttle too hard.

It's true that I have to weigh how I will ride most often. Personally, I want a very smooth, very quiet bike - I used to have Kawasaki 750 twin that was powerful and reasonably quiet but lots of vibrations. Very wearing / tiring on the highway. Plus I do want my wife to join me and I figure the LT is the best way to convince her - having said that, the point is taken that sitting up high and "exposed" may be off-putting for some people.

I understand that the Rs are smooth for twins but I like the idea of a buttersmooth K. The one thing that gives me pause for thought is the rep that the LT has for being top-heavy and ungainly at low speeds. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's not a big deal for most people but everyone mentions it...

I'd love to do some test rides but being February in the Great White North, it's not an ideal time to do so.

Keep it coming!
post #11 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 8:58 am

Although the GT is a wonderful bike with a lot of pickup, the LT is a fantastic touring bike for two up. I have a K1200RS which I absolutely love and would never part with. I also have a K12LT for my wife and myself. The LT is much, much more comfortable for two up. The RS and the GT do not have the leg position and seating for the passenger that the LT does. Only bad thing about the LT is that it is al lot more top heavy than the GT or the RS. It is not a bike for shorter guys so longer inseams work better at steadying the bike when stopped. Just my opinion. It is a marvelous bike on a trip with the utmost comfort. Lots of dealers still have new 2009's in stock and there are lots of pristine LT's on the used market. Just ride them first before you buy. Enjoy and good luck......
post #12 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 10:52 am

No way Kathy will let me sell the LT to buy another bike. She is 5'9" with long legs and she felt very uncomfortable sitting on the GT and the RT in the showroom. Both these bikes would need to be modifed for her to fit comfortably, and still it wouldn't come close to the LT.
If we didn't ride that much 2-up I would get a GT. Maybe a GT will become an addition at some point, but not a replacement for the LT.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:43 pm

No other bike beats the LT,when it comes to 2 up,long distance riding.

Top heavy?Yes.
Ungainly at low speeds?Yes.
Higher maintenance costs?Yes.

Takes a little practice to get used to it,as with any bike new to you.Every machine needs to be maintained.If you enjoy wrenching,you can do many things at home.
A lot of cargo space to fit your gear,great wind protection.Take it to the interstate cross country or up the mountains twists,it will bring many smiles to both rider and passenger.

Sold my 2003 LT last year,to get a smaller bike as we don't do as much long distance touring as we used to.She is in good hands in California.Enjoy it Bill!
As others have recommended,take the bikes you are interested in for test rides.We are all different individuals and expect different things from our machines.
This is a great time to buy,I think you can get much better prices before/or after the riding season.A good price is what you are comfortable to pay for a motorcycle and are happy with.No bike is perfect.There are many parts on modern day motorcycles and things can break.Take your time and do your research.This is a great community to ask for advice and to find helpful information.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the ride whatever you buy.Robert.

Four wheels move the body,two wheels move the soul.

2004 R1200CL Silver - Torquey
post #14 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 1:07 pm

You definitely need to test drive all your candidates and if you havent't ridden for years I strongly suggest to take it for a longer spin, or even take it out a few times if possible.
LT may seem heavy at first, but weight of the LT shouldn't be a concern if don't plan on any acrobatics at low speed. Just because it's heavy, it helps keeping the bike butter smooth and makes the ride relaxing on a long stretch of highway.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #15 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
You definitely need to test drive all your candidates and if you havent't ridden for years I strongly suggest to take it for a longer spin, or even take it out a few times if possible.
LT may seem heavy at first, but weight of the LT shouldn't be a concern if don't plan on any acrobatics at low speed. Just because it's heavy, it helps keeping the bike butter smooth and makes the ride relaxing on a long stretch of highway.
BJ
NO ONE can make your decision. Just ride um and then you'll know which one wants to come home with you. I did that and fell in love in about 30 minutes. I was not really comfortable though, on this bike for at least 4-5,000 miles. Once I got through the learning curve it was pure bliss. I'm always looking around and trying others, but I keep coming back to the K1200LT. Get her past 5,000 RPMS and she just purrrrrrrrrrrrs.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 3:53 pm

The new LT's should be out later this year, if you can I'd wait till then, or buy a used on till then.

02 LT
post #17 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 7:47 pm

I looked for about 6 months. If your looking for an LT, get a 2005 or newer. All the info I've read led me to that year. I own a 2005 LT and love it.
post #18 of 27 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 9:49 pm

OK...if you are getting back into riding...let me suggest. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation training class. http://www.msf-usa.org/ This will get you back on their bike, give you time to think/discuss your situation and might even find a better approach ...(purchase a BMW Dealership and have a different bike every day of the week)
post #19 of 27 Old Feb 19th, 2010, 2:07 am

Even though I bought my '03 to offer rides to my wife, she's declined thus far, which is fine. My LT has been great one up, I think, and I use it about 95% of each year in Santa Cruz as a commuter and to go to rehearsals. Plus a fun trip once in awhile. Most excellent!
post #20 of 27 Old Feb 19th, 2010, 6:35 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraylor
Look for the book value in NADA.com. I paid 6100.00 for a 99 LT with 15000 miles on the clock last September.
Hi there. I am looking at a 1999 LT. Any words of wisdom? Anything to look out for?

Thanks,
Keith.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA #218870
TCD #

2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure - White (Thumper)
SOLD - 2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue (RockeT)
SOLD - 2007 Honda GL1800 ABS/Nav - Platinum (RV)
SOLD - 2014 Yamaha FZ09 - Volunteer Orange (Vol)
SOLD - 2002 K1200LT - Pacific Blue (Slick)
SOLD - 2005 HD Road King Classic - Chopper Blue & Sunglo Blue (Boss)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki Concours - Sonic Blue (Conc)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki ZXR1200R - Team Green (Zip)
post #21 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2010, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandman
. It is not a bike for shorter guys
Um, I'm only 5'7 and rode over 15,000 miles last year. Should I sell mine?
NOT. And there's shorter guys than me on this board luvin' it. My wife loves this bike. I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled with 2up riding. After a few instructions to her on when to get on/off, ect she's become an excellent passenger. She was a little sore from spreading her legs after the first ride, and suggested we start having more sex so she could stay in shape. That's a win/win for me.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #22 of 27 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 12:58 pm

I just traded my 2004 K1200 GT for a 2005 LT. I'm really excited to ride the LT, took it for a small ride and its awesome. I got a great deal at the dealer. (MAX BMW in NH) The LT only had 5104 miles and I only paid $10900. I got a great deal on my trade in as well. If you look on EBay you might find a good deal this spring. Good Luck, Oh yeaaaa, My wife was not vry comfortable on the GT and she LOVES the ride on the LT

Quote:
Hi all,

post #23 of 27 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkeithmurray
Hi there. I am looking at a 1999 LT. Any words of wisdom? Anything to look out for?

Thanks,
Keith.
I haven't had it long but really love the bike. I have put about 5000 trouble free miles on it so far and get a constant 50+ miles per gallon. I am not an expert on this bike but I would do it again. I think it is the best riding bike I have ever owned. I have driven Yamaha Ventures for years and love them also but the BMW is a better handling and more comfortable bike.

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #24 of 27 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 1:27 am

If you want to start out on an LT .... I would test ride an S.... then a GT and then the LT.... I think once you do so you will understand, but they handle and feel very much the same in that order.... at least that was my experience... As a result I feel just as comfortable with the extra pounds and I have a better chance having a riding partner.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #25 of 27 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQFAST
I was in Westside Motorsports in Spokane Wa. today, one of the new BMW dealers. He had all models on the floor except an LT. I ask why. He wanted one but the rep said to wait, the new six cylinders are coming in late 2010 or early 2011.
What was your impression of Westside Motor Sports?? I found the bikes to be overpriced.

Al
Spokane
WA
post #26 of 27 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Hi all,

FYI, I have found a bike I am going to buy: it's a black 2009 K1200LT. Beautiful bike - fully equipped. 8500 kms. (5100 miles).

I am very excited and looking forward to taking delivery in April!

Thanks to all.

Rick
post #27 of 27 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
She was a little sore from spreading her legs after the first ride, and suggested we start having more sex so she could stay in shape. That's a win/win for me.
You're the envy of us all brother!

I would say enjoy the ride, but that would sound crude....so I'll say, roll on in the curves!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in