first time on curvey roads with lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

first time on curvey roads with lt

Will be going to West Texas at end of month to ride the curves around Fort Davis and Big Bend Park. I am very experinced riding in that area with my 2000 HD Ultra. I am going on my 06 LT that I have only a couple of months on and I have learned that there is a big difference on how fast I can take a curve on the LT vice the harley. I am looking for some tips that will help with handling roads with curve after curve and getting the max expierence on the LT. Example, Since the LT is able to run at a lot higer rpm in say 3rd gear compared to my harley I would think that staying in 3rd and just using the throttle may be a better way to accelerate and deaccelerate for making the curves a little faster.
any thoughts would be helpful

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: first time on curvey roads with lt

Bill,
I'd say you're right. Maybe even 2nd gear. Depends on the curve. The LT will handle the RPMs.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 9:02 pm

The LT is sweet on curves, long sweepers to hairpins. Low gear is good: 2nd for hairpins uphill, 3rd for most others. Get the speed right before entering and accelerate out.
Check out my vids (in sig on youtube) to see mine taking the Alps without a problem. It will lean over far more than you will believe at first, so no panicking and leaving the road!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 9:06 pm
Super Moderator

Do the same thing you would do on any bike - set up for the turn, finish your braking before you getto your turn in, look through the turn and tip in, feed in a little throttle as you go through and rill on as you come out. Don't overthink what gear, etc., you'll get a feel after the first few corners and can/will add speed as you get comfortable with it. compared to the HD you will be quite happy and much quicker on the LT.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 10:16 pm
Gold Supporter

I don't know if the curves have recommended speeds like they do in some states, but in a trip to Arkansas last year, I just ignored the zero and used them for gear recommendations (for example, if the curve was posted 20, downshifted to 2nd and slowed to 3000 rpm or so, 30 mile posted curve, picked 3rd. It was wet so it it may be conservative if you are looking for maximum adrenaline

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #6 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2010, 10:08 am

Bill, don't screw around with other people telling you how fast a LT is, you know that a good Harley driver will beat a so so LT driver. So start out slow and let your gut tell you how you are doing. The LT will scrape the foot pegs and your boots, it also will wear the plastic down if this is what you want. So have safe fun.

DON
post #7 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2010, 10:33 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

This question has so many variables.

Ride with what makes you comfortable. You will learn the bike and find a comfort zone.

I personally have scraped center stand, foot pegs, and boots when I got lazy and left them out front too much.

When I was very young getting on the back of a 50 something HD the man told me " If you throw a leg over and you don't respect the bike, don't ride it" Took awhile to know what he meant.

There are times I get on the LT and the world is right. However I have gotten on it and could do nothing right. It is at those times when I would not push it and even shortened my ride.

So find your pace and ride within it. You got nothing to prove and many miles of twisties to go.

Also new sneakers, after scrubbed in will give you the best and most confidence on a LT. Every time I change mine out I fall in love all over again.

Just be safe and ride in your skill set. The "S" we have on our chest fades pretty rapidly after 50

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2010, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone
Will be going to West Texas at end of month to ride the curves around Fort Davis and Big Bend Park. I am very experinced riding in that area with my 2000 HD Ultra. I am going on my 06 LT that I have only a couple of months on and I have learned that there is a big difference on how fast I can take a curve on the LT vice the harley. I am looking for some tips that will help with handling roads with curve after curve and getting the max expierence on the LT. Example, Since the LT is able to run at a lot higer rpm in say 3rd gear compared to my harley I would think that staying in 3rd and just using the throttle may be a better way to accelerate and deaccelerate for making the curves a little faster.
any thoughts would be helpful
What is it your asking?
Tips for riding?
Maximum experience on the LT is not achieved through advice.
Only your ability and your "bonding" with the capabilities of the machine will hold you back.

You sound like you have ridden for some time, so essentially you just need to spend
time in the saddle of the LT to get what your looking for.

As far as gear selection, I find that through "feel", it has so many variables
(radius, uphill/downhill, off camber). Once you and the LT become "One"
you wont even look at the gear indicator.

Enjoy

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2010, 11:20 am

Well here's what I figured out after my first trip to Deal's Gap. I've been riding a LONG time, mostly v-twins (twist throttle and go in almost any gear) except for and old Kz-1000. On my first run through I was in 3rd and 4th gear and it was work going through The Dragon and it was more work than fun. On the return I used 2nd and sometimes 3rd and it was like being on a different bike! The handling was much better in the lower gears at higher revs. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #10 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2010, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Well here's what I figured out after my first trip to Deal's Gap. I've been riding a LONG time, mostly v-twins (twist throttle and go in almost any gear) except for and old Kz-1000. On my first run through I was in 3rd and 4th gear and it was work going through The Dragon and it was more work than fun. On the return I used 2nd and sometimes 3rd and it was like being on a different bike! The handling was much better in the lower gears at higher revs. Just my 2 cents worth.
Absolutely,
Obtained that from quicker throttle response and engine braking in lower gears,
thus more adjustability of momentum without having to "work" the gears or brakes.
Thats the beauty of a higher RPM bike in my opinion.

Had so much fun on the LT doing it, now with GT, can't get the off my face.

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2010, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

thanks guys, so good thoughts on how I should expect the LT to handle. I looking forward to completly different experince than I got from the HD

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2010, 10:20 pm

Umm... ya got a good look at my Avatar?

I got that performance qualification between Alpine and Terlingua.... Also between Alpine and Ft Davis and Alpine and Marathon as well.....brakes are excellent, so STOP immediately and the cop will only have to turn around and stop on shoulder.. He appreciates not having to get up to you...

I like 2nd gear- and she likes above 4500 rpms and above... no need to get higher than that....easy does it....uh and always obey the speed limits

OH forgot ya already been there before on the HD... Its a different ride now

Just so ya know..... I only qualified, no awards.... thanks SOn.... and thanks GF.. she told the cop she only saw 110.....thanks babe...

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary, batteries never included, some assembly required, you may get sweats,bets, snickers and periods of euphoria. symptoms may include washing the girl in cold weather, nights of getting up and carressing the individual panels with a soft white glove.
Other symptoms may include removal of metal from the center stand/side stand/foot pegs...

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #13 of 17 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 9:06 am

Oldone...blueknight hit it right on the head. I like to loaf along most times when I ride, but when things get curvy and serious on the LT, being down a gear and letting it rev a little sure gives the bike a more aggressive personality. I had an Ultra of the same vintage that I tried to ride hard and there is one thing I can tell you for sure: you will feel a lot more in control having your feet under you rather than poking out in front of you.
You didn't say if you were taking a passenger so I assume you are going solo....but if you ever DO take a passenger, the LT can still be ridden swiftly and safely through the twisties two up.
Find your own pace, be safe, and enjoy yourself.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #14 of 17 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 12:56 pm

You will notice that when the curve ahead sign says 30.... at 50 you will be wondering if it will do 60 and depending on the surface, tires, load etc. it often will. I use the lower gears as well especially on a road I know has back to back curves and even let the motor slow me down before entry and though I always reengage the throttle before dropping in.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #15 of 17 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by t61vance
Oldone...blueknight hit it right on the head. I like to loaf along most times when I ride, but when things get curvy and serious on the LT, being down a gear and letting it rev a little sure gives the bike a more aggressive personality. I had an Ultra of the same vintage that I tried to ride hard and there is one thing I can tell you for sure: you will feel a lot more in control having your feet under you rather than poking out in front of you.
You didn't say if you were taking a passenger so I assume you are going solo....but if you ever DO take a passenger, the LT can still be ridden swiftly and safely through the twisties two up.
Find your own pace, be safe, and enjoy yourself.
While it's not as far over as we went that day (I was told from those behind us there were sparks a time or two ) a K1200LT can still be spirted both 2 up and with the luggage loaded. And yes I know we're not in proper riding gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maydragon.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	26357  

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #16 of 17 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone
...... I am looking for some tips that will help with handling roads with curve after curve and getting the max expierence on the LT.....any thoughts would be helpful
Whatever gear you are in, drop it one or two......
as you enter the turn, keep your head vertical, your upper body forward and into the turn.
Slightly drag the rear brake....
keep the throttle open and the drive train loaded as you enter the turn....
enter the turn at a speed comfortable to you, NEVER enter the turn faster than what is easy and comfortable....
when you reach the apex of the turn, with your eyes on where you are headed, increase throttle and let go of the rear brake.....
accelerate out of the turn.....
if enough distance before the next turn shift up....
before entering the next curve.....
downshift.....
light pressure on rear brake.....
load the drive train with the throttle.....
enter the turn at a comfortable and easy speed by dragging the rear brake and keeping the throttle open.....
when at the apex, keep your eye on your line, let go the brake, and go with throttle up.....
repeat next curve.....

When you run out of curves, check your rear brake pads for wear.....

There is NO OTHER bike capable of giving you long distance touring comfort that will perform like this in the twisties. You done good, you got a KLT. Now "ride it like you stole it."

On more than one occasion, a rider on a "duck" or a "trumpet triple" has looked over their shoulder, and been surprised to see a BMW K1200LT right there with them, and has given a respectful "thumbs up".

Last edited by CharlieVT; Feb 15th, 2010 at 6:24 pm.
post #17 of 17 Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:07 am

+1 for Charlie's commit. We were on an Ultra before this one and Mama likes the Ultra better.....cause it will not corner! She really likes the way the LT rides but I have really leaned it on the curves and it runs very well.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in