Newby Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Question Newby Question

Hello All,
I'm new here and still searching for the deal of a lifetime on an LT. I just spent the weekend driving 700 miles looking at used bikes.
All things being relative, what kind of miles should one expect to get out of a well maintained k1200 before you would start experiencing problems?(seals, gaskets, valves, etc.) I know this is a very general question, but I am just looking for a very general answer. I have looked at bikes with 5,000 to 58,000 miles recently and they all looked good to me, but I need some idea of how much more life to expect of each bike.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:34 pm

Re: Newby Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuellertoo
Hello All,
I'm new here and still searching for the deal of a lifetime on an LT. I just spent the weekend driving 700 miles looking at used bikes.
All things being relative, what kind of miles should one expect to get out of a well maintained k1200 before you would start experiencing problems?(seals, gaskets, valves, etc.) I know this is a very general question, but I am just looking for a very general answer. I have looked at bikes with 5,000 to 58,000 miles recently and they all looked good to me, but I need some idea of how much more life to expect of each bike.
Gary
My opinion is you want a bike with 10-20K per year of use. This eliminates the dry rot issues, also, the maintenance history is important. If the owner did his own maintenance, a discussion with him about procedures, frequencies, etc should tell.

You'll hear some horror stories about final drives and contaminated clutches, but, it is a machine and they do break down.

If you have someone who owns one in the area, or even the BMW dealer, you can have them give it a once over.

Look at our classified ads here. I bought my 05 with 40K on it and have put another 36K. Drilled my weep hole, hope my final drive stays OK.

Others may have differing opinions, but, if the bike wasn't ridden much, it concerns me.

Some guys get well over 100K on their LT's. Unless I "luck into some serious coin", I'm keeping mine for a long time.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 12:01 am

bought my 2K LT this last summer with 17K on the odometer, have put about 4 K on it so far, and no issues what so ever, (except the "Damn that is a great ride! issue)
Rich

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 12:38 am

Its a crap shoot... I've had BMW K bikes that were bullet proof and then I got one that I've had many problems with ... though I still have her. I would just try to find the best deal. I would rather have an 05 with 40k that had some extra toys than an 03 that was stock and only had 10k.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 8:51 am

Talking Re: Newby Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuellertoo
Hello All,
Gary
Hi Gary,
Not sure I can help , but here is my story.

Bought my '03 LT in may of 2006 w/8700 miles. The 3 year warranty wasn't to end until feb of 2007 because of the date it was sold new. Glad I had the warranty as the FD went in January of 2007 and was covered. No cost to me. Parts were covered for the next 2 years and it failed again and was no cost to me once again. Now at 82,600 miles on the clock, it has been fine( I change/look at the FD oil every 3000 miles).
If I had it to do over again, I would have looked for a bike that had been ridden more. Mine was nearly 3 years old with only 8700 miles on it. I felt I was lucky as the FD is the only BIG issue I've had.
I was looking for a 2002 or newer used HD Roadglide when I spotted this LT on the Harley lot. $9,999.00 looked a lot better to me than the $16,000 I was going to have to pay for a used Harley, so I took the plunge not knowing anything about a BMW. Damn, I'm GLAD I bought the LT. What a ride and I go everyday somewhere when the temp is at 15 degrees or higher and road surfaces are decent.
Since you are up north, you may not find a bike nearby that has been ridden much. Dry seals from lots of idle sitting COULD be a problem. It's just the luck of the draw.
Good luck in your search.
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 5:46 pm

.. unlike wine, but in many cases like women, the younger the better ... but be ready to pay
... Big, Red Canyon, Puppy is ten years old, got it some 3.5years ago from Ralph (Dragon 129) , with about 30K, currently 62K on the odometer, 1 set of tires, 1 Headlight Bulb, & we both proud & happy.
Does it mean anything ????
maybe yes, maybe no !
who can tell.

Yair

Irvine CA
post #7 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 6:18 pm

Gary;

You will get different answers from all here. IMHO if you ride her and and dont let her sit, do all the required maintenance you should be good. I ride ALOT and with 164k on her she stills runs great. Many might not believe me, but I have had only a few minor issues. I just now found a leak in the front brakeline, replaced it and off I go. Im just wearing stuff out, shocks,rotors, driveshafts. No Clutch issues, or FD issues. There is still 96% of us who have had no issues. I think there are a few with over 200k and one with 300k.
Get one with over 20k and she will be broken in by then.
Good Luck.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #8 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 8:29 pm

I bought my previous K12LT at a bit over 40K miles, my current one just below 30K. They felt new to me.

It really depends on the bike's history, as the others say - but in any case, do not be discouraged by high mileage. In general, BMW owners are a compulsive lot and the bikes will be well maintained.

I recommend checking out IBMWR Marketplace - R-bikes - these ads are posted by aficionados of the brand and, in my opinion, you are running a much better chance of finding a well-kept machine there, than via eBay or Cycletrader.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Feb 1st, 2010 at 8:34 pm.
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 6:56 am

Thumbs up Re: Newby Question

I bought a 99 LT in May of 03 with 25000 mile on it. Rode it until it was totaled March of 09. It had 70,000 miles on it and I had just discovered a leaky seal the weekend before the accident ( I walked away). That was the only issue that had come up.
I went out and found a 05 LT with 10,000 mile on it and have put 10,000 mile on it since I got it. No problems at all. When I started looking I was looking for at least a 05 or newer due to the improvements/changes that were made in that model year.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #10 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 9:16 am

I've been very happy with my '01 LT. Bought it Apr '09 with 7800 miles and now have nearly 18,000 on her. No issues so far except that big ol' I'm riding an LT grin. Can't seem to lose it!

I've never had a problem putting it up on the center stand but I do sometimes lust for one of those fancy electric ones.

Get an LT and add some comfortable excitement to your life.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all,
Very good advice all around. I had never considered the problem of an older bike with very few miles on it. Thanks.
With Ground Hog day here, the riding season will be here before I know it.
Time to get busy and find "my" LT.
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

Have no use for the power center stand myself but there are other benefits to getting an 05 or newer though I didn't.... LOL

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #13 of 17 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

My searching has been somewhat biased toward a 2005 or newer, but should the right 1st gen. become available I don't have a problem with an older bike.
I would expect that there would be more repairs on an older bike simply due to age .
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:51 am Thread Starter

Talking Re: Newby Question

Well, I found the "one"
2003 Elite, 26,000 miles, Silver.
Rides great,a few squeaks and rattles but smooth and comfortable.
Original owner, never been tipped, full cover, tank bag, lower pegs,PIAA lights,Nav, Headlight cover, Service CD's and a few other little extras.
It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get it home. Can't wait!
Thanks for the advice All.
post #15 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 9:15 am

2003 is a great year, great choice. I bought my 03 when it was 2 years old, but it was still new. It only had 1300 miles on it. I found a great deal. An almost new bike for a little more than half price. Took it to a dealer and had all the fluids changed. Had 5 good seasons of riding 12,000 miles a season with no major problems except this winter had to get the clutch replaced and exhaust fixed. You do have expect to put $, or time and effort into it. I had new shocks put on, throttle cables replaced, and a new side mirror too (not all at once). Don't forget all the extra things you will want to add, will cost you too. Never ends.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 9:17 am

Hi,
I'm on my 2nd K12LT. My first was a 1999 and I rode it for 118000 miles before I traded it for my present 2005 K12LT.
The 1999 had to have the rear main seal replaced at approximately 60K do to leakage. The oil leak also took out the clutch. The extended warantee covered the costs of repair. Heated hand grips wore out at about the same time. Not a warantee item. Both radiator cooling fans needed replacement at approximately 90K. These were covered under the extended warantee. Needed the final drive rebuilt at approximately the same mileage. Front and rear shocks went flat, almost over night at about 105K. I replaced them with Wilbers (an excellent choice).
On my 2005 I replaced the stock suspension at 45K mainly because I wanted better performance. I went with the Ohlins this time (I prefer the Wilbers). I had the front guide tubes resealed at 60K and the heated grips replaced at about the same time. I've got 66K on this bike right now and things seem to be OK.
In my opinion, I'd look for a used K12LT with an extended warantee that is transferable. Any bike with more than 50K is going to be within the range of, at least, some of the issues, which I have experienced. Fortunately, most of the extended warantees are predicated on unlimited mileage so that would be a huge plus for you.
By the way, I am located in southern New England and ride about 30K per year. I also ride 12 months of the year. I hope this provides you with some insights into the risks of owning a used K12LT. This is my second. Both were bought new. Good luck and ride safe.
post #17 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Forgot to metion, yes, the throttle cables were stiff as hell. Almost impossible to modulate the throttle when starting off. The dealer is going to replace them before I pick it up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in