Hand cramping assistance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Hand cramping assistance

It has been a while since I posted a question.

As I get older, it's all about comfort, and no better bike than the LT.

On long rides, my right hands always cramps up. Uusally turns numb.

I have heard of some gel based gloves, not sure if they work.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Re: Hand cramping assistance

Use cruise control.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 5:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have found that mine does that when I grip it too hard. Try loosening up your grip a bit and see if that helps. I hold the throttle with the hand out flat rather than a "death grip" on the thing and it seems to help. I have to force myself to do it as I tend to forget and start squeezing it again and the hand goes numb. The only time I use cruise is when it does go numb so I can shake it out really good. Cruise control on a long distance bike is asking for it as fatigue sets in we naturally slow down our speed to compensate. With cruise engaged you run the risk of over driving your capability as the day wears on.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Grip Puppies:
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...y_Code=GRIPPUP
Review:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430430
================================================
Cramp Buster
http://www.crampbuster.com/

I use both but the Cramp Buster can slip if installed over the Grip Puppies so I recently removed the Puppie from under the Buster, problem fixed.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #5 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Grip Puppies
Doug nails it... I use to get that cramping in the palm... especially when I would encounter rush hour stupidity. GP's made a huge diff... Also, I fiddle with things when I feel like I am "locked" to the handle bars... shift mirror(s), reset TRIP A, adjust sound, wipe windshield... anything to get my hands to do something else.

Now if I can just find a way to stop the hip cramp problem...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #6 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 7:06 pm
Enjoy The Ride

+ 1 on the cramp buster. My fingers are always over the brake lever & I just palm the throttle & use my thumb for acceleration.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
+ 1 on the cramp buster. My fingers are always over the brake lever & I just palm the throttle & use my thumb for acceleration.
I continue to see repeat recommendations for Crampbusters. A couple of years ago I was rear ended by a rider whose glove strap caught on his Crampbuster resulting in unintended acceleration into the rear of my bike. Fortunately it did not cause either of us to go down. Since that time I have heard a variety of tales where it appears that Crampbusters were a contributing factor. I think it is important to note them as "contributing" since it probably unfair to list them as THE cause in any of the incidents I have been made aware of.

Have others heard tales of crashes where the use of a Crampbuster was implicated?

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #8 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I have found that mine does that when I grip it too hard. Try loosening up your grip a bit and see if that helps. I hold the throttle with the hand out flat rather than a "death grip" on the thing and it seems to help. I have to force myself to do it as I tend to forget and start squeezing it again and the hand goes numb. The only time I use cruise is when it does go numb so I can shake it out really good. Cruise control on a long distance bike is asking for it as fatigue sets in we naturally slow down our speed to compensate. With cruise engaged you run the risk of over driving your capability as the day wears on.
I agree with the statement of relaxing your grip, but Cruise is easily the best remedy for
hand cramping, you do not have to use it for extended lengths of time for relief, just a few minutes
every time you feel the cramps onset, then set it, and shake the cramp out for a bit.

I can say after having cruise, then a bike without, you sure do miss it, and I will always
ensure any bike in the future has it.

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #9 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
I continue to see repeat recommendations for Crampbusters. A couple of years ago I was rear ended by a rider whose glove strap caught on his Crampbuster resulting in unintended acceleration into the rear of my bike. Fortunately it did not cause either of us to go down. Since that time I have heard a variety of tales where it appears that Crampbusters were a contributing factor. I think it is important to note them as "contributing" since it probably unfair to list them as THE cause in any of the incidents I have been made aware of.

Have others heard tales of crashes where the use of a Crampbuster was implicated?
I did not crash, but almost put a Harley Ultra in the ditch because of a Crampbuster. I was riding through a series of twisties pretty aggressively (well, at least as aggressively as you can with a Harley), was going into a right hand curve and didn't realize as I was pressuring the right grip to make the turn I was also pushing on the Crampbuster. Of course, the bike was NOT slowing down. I realized at the last second what I was doing, managed to get the beast slowed and practically left every piece of chrome on the right hand side of the bike on the pavement as I cranked it through the turn. After the turn, I stopped the bike, cleaned out my drawers, took the Crampbuster off the hand grip, threw it in the ditch and I will NEVER use one again.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 9:42 pm

The best help for the problem is the simple friction wheel on Harleys. I keep the friction point just where I can completely relax my grip, but easily work the throttle when I need to. I wish my BMW had it.
post #11 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Guys, thank you. Lots of good info here. This is why I enjoy the LT site.

I have seen these gloves that have gel inserts. Not sure if these would help. But, already have 9 pairs of gloves, do I really need another pair?

I saw these folks at a bike show in Norcross, GA last week.

www.qwigloves.com
post #12 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:01 pm

I agree with jzeiler as first solution along with making use of the cruise control when safe to do so. then if those do not work, look at some of the other solutions mentioned.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #13 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Garage

http://www.ridersworkshop.com/Soft-Hands.pdf

Check out this article it talks about several reasons to have softhands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #14 of 33 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Found mine did the same I bought a pair fingerless gloves with really a good grip now I don't have the problem with cramping. I think its from the grips being rather smallish in diameter and there is a tendency to really clamp down on the grips because of that.

Quote:

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #15 of 33 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 1:38 am

I put on some grip puppies, that helped a lot, but cruise control is the best. Also, if you put some baby powder into the gloves, sort of makes the fingers and palms feel cool!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #16 of 33 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 1:40 am

And, Kevin, you have got to get a ride out of the Northwest! Two states does not make it! Take a ride, chuckle!!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
post #17 of 33 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 8:12 am

I have some hand problems and have found the Kuryakyn Throttle Boos to work great for me along with extensive use of the cruise control.

I do use grip puppies also and would not do without them.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/pr...etail/IMID/262

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #18 of 33 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
http://www.ridersworkshop.com/Soft-Hands.pdf

Check out this article it talks about several reasons to have softhands.
Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #19 of 33 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 9:48 am

Another vote for the Grip Puppies and Cramp buster. I don't think I would ride 30 miles without them and not get a cramp.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #20 of 33 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:24 am

ehaughn,

A million years ago when I road a bicycle a lot, 200+ miles per week, I wore gloves with gel in the palms. It was a road bike so there was a lot of pressure on the bars because of the forward leaning position. Twenty years ago I had a R100S and found I had the same problem beacuse of the forward leaning position on the short bars. I tried wearing a pair of the gel palmed bicycle gloves under a larger pair of thin leather gloves and found it helped a little but not much. When I got the LT I was surprised to have the same issue with cramping because I really don't lean forward. I tried the grip puppies and they helped a lot. I have not tried gel gloves on the LT. I find I have to think about relaxing my grip. I still cramp but it takes three times as long now.

Good luck and let us know if you find something that works.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
post #21 of 33 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 9:42 am
SEG

Grip puppies and a pair of cramp busters resolved the problem of numb hands for me on long rides. I have to be very mindful of the cramp busters so that the sleeve of my jacket does not catch on the cramp buster, otherwise I'd encounter 'unintended acceleration'. Good luck.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #22 of 33 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 7:52 am

LOL ya ya hey I'm saving the map for a later date Spring time is coming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajgp
And, Kevin, you have got to get a ride out of the Northwest! Two states does not make it! Take a ride, chuckle!!

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #23 of 33 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

Ok, I am convinced.

Going to order the Grip Puppies.

Question is, which one did you order?

GPGL or GPSMALL?

Did you order the one for the Gold Wing, then cut the 1/2 excess off?

Thanks again
post #24 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:59 am

My recollection is that you need to measure the diameter of your grips, and order accordingly. You will love them!

Jerry

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
post #25 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 2:54 pm

I used this on my R1100RT to get rid of the cramp problem. It looks like heck but it sure fixed it. Using a 1/2 wide by 3 inch rubber band, the throttle would just stay wherever I put it or slowly drift closed. It may be thought to be a a "suicide throttle", but I've let others drive my bike and no one has even noticed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2241A.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	571.3 KB
ID:	26122  
post #26 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:48 pm

Quote:
Ok, I am convinced.

Going to order the Grip Puppies.

Question is, which one did you order?

GPGL or GPSMALL?

Did you order the one for the Gold Wing, then cut the 1/2 excess off?

Thanks again
I've got an '02 with stock grips. I ordered the large, & they are a little bit loose. When I order again it will be the small.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #27 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 9:20 am

Kudos and thumbs up for Grip Puppies and Cramp Buster (Although being old school, I have a Throttle Rocker). I've ridden with the Throttle Rocker for ten years and have never had a problem with accidental accelerations while riding. I've had the Puppies for more than two years and love 'em. No issues with the heated grips working.

To ehaughn: In all seriousness, you state that your hand cramps and turns numb. Is it the whole hand that goes numb, or just the fingers? Repetitive trauma or vibration is a possible cause for Raynaud's disease when hands and fingers go numb and in some cases turn white and feel waxy to the touch. Although the most common cause for this is cold temperatures, there are other causes as well; such as trauma and continuous exposure to vibrations. Having a death grip on your throttle is only going to intensify the vibrations. If you find that Grip Puppies and a cramp buster aren't solving the problem you might want to consider padded riding or work gloves (Full fingered) used by mountain bikers and mechanics. If nothing seems to help, it might be worth a visit to your local doctor or have someone check your seating and reach on the bike to consider a way to alleviate pressure you may inadvertently be putting on your hands.

Good luck.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #28 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
I've got an '02 with stock grips. I ordered the large, & they are a little bit loose. When I order again it will be the small.
Yes, the small work well with the stock grips.

I have a throttle rocker and GP on my LT and end up using the cruise only on loooong lonely stretches of highway. The throttle rocker (which I've used on all my bikes) really solves the death-grip/hand-cramping problem. Moreso than the GP alone.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #29 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 11:01 am

Before I installed the grip puppies my hands would tend to cramp up, especially in heavy Los Angeles traffic.
After installing the grip puppies I found them to be too thick and my hands still cramped up... for a while. I guess it took me a few weeks to adapt to the larger diameter of the grips, and now I really like them. BTW, the correct size is Small.
I also make use of the cruise control whenever I need to shake my right hand or just to turn on/off the heated seat, and on long trips so I can rest my right hand on my knee for a while.
A few years back I bought the cramp buster but never installed it. Still somewhere in my garage, if someone wants it, it's yours for shipping. I just don't like "stuff" on the controls of the bike. JM2CW.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #30 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Tracus,

My fingers get tingly (to best describe it) and my wrist and palm get numb also.

I usually then turn on cruise control and shake my hand. This only occurs with my right hand.

I have had this problem on many of my bikes and scooters.

On my 1994 Honda Helix, I installed bubble grips and did not have any cramping issues. I rode a 1996 Honda Helix with stock grips, and experienced cramping.

My right wrist is usually a little bent and not straight.

I really hope the grip puppies work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Kudos and thumbs up for Grip Puppies and Cramp Buster (Although being old school, I have a Throttle Rocker). I've ridden with the Throttle Rocker for ten years and have never had a problem with accidental accelerations while riding. I've had the Puppies for more than two years and love 'em. No issues with the heated grips working.

To ehaughn: In all seriousness, you state that your hand cramps and turns numb. Is it the whole hand that goes numb, or just the fingers? Repetitive trauma or vibration is a possible cause for Raynaud's disease when hands and fingers go numb and in some cases turn white and feel waxy to the touch. Although the most common cause for this is cold temperatures, there are other causes as well; such as trauma and continuous exposure to vibrations. Having a death grip on your throttle is only going to intensify the vibrations. If you find that Grip Puppies and a cramp buster aren't solving the problem you might want to consider padded riding or work gloves (Full fingered) used by mountain bikers and mechanics. If nothing seems to help, it might be worth a visit to your local doctor or have someone check your seating and reach on the bike to consider a way to alleviate pressure you may inadvertently be putting on your hands.

Good luck.
post #31 of 33 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 9:52 pm

I am a lifelong rider of bikes and motorcycles. I started experiencing episodic numbness in the right hand (first three fingers, some palm) about 10 years ago. This happened first on my mountain bike, and particularly when gripping the bars or pressing into the heel of my palm. I too found that I could usually eliminate the symptoms by shaking out my hand.

Numbness and tingling has to do with nerve compression, which can happen either in the carpal tunnel, or at any point including at the shoulder or in the neck. Engaging the handlebars causes the position of the hands to be: wrists elevated, slightly everted (cocked "outwards"). Twisting the throttle also puts the right hand into "extension" (this may be why we riders experience symtoms more on the right hand)- while also having to maintain enough tension in the muscles to counteract the throttle return and moving through a limited range. This puts the nerve bundle (median nerve) under pressure as it goes through the carpal tunnel. Muscle tension and rigidity creates muscle fatigue and hence cramping. Movement is the key to short term relief ("flapping your wrists and elbows" as Jim Ford would say!).

As a lifelong tennis player I have "overdeveloped" muscles on the inside of my forearm: the so called "common flexor tendon" and associated flexor muscles. When I became a bodyworker, I learned about another troublesome muscle called "pronator teres" which can compress the median nerve, thus mimicing "carpal tunnel syndrome." Turns out that pronator teres is attached to the common flexor tendon...which means that an overdeveloped common flexor tendon can also mimic carpal tunnel syndrome. (Wrenching can definitely cause this problem!)

So, in my case, manual therapy to relax tight muscles and stretch the connective tissue (eg the common flexor tendon) has helped my arm, and the knowledge has lowered my anxiety level about the numbness. I ride with grip puppies and a throttle rocker, yet I still get numbness...I find myself putting my hands on different parts of the handlebars (just to keep them moving, as mentioned above) while cruising. If you live in eastern USA, make sure you get enough magnesium, it balances calcium to keep muscles supple. There is less magnesium in the east generally due to geologic factors.

The grip puppies, cruise control and throttle rocker definitely help. I tried riding with a wrist brace (drugstore variety) with poor results. On my old Goldwing I used something called a "throttle lock" which is easy to install and use (flick of the thumb up or down). Kind of like old fashioned cruise control, I found myself using it all the time on the Goldwing. Have though about adding it to Dragonfly, but don't quite need it yet!

Also, if you are having symptoms of numbness/tingling in the pinkie and 4th finger, that is different. That nerve runs from the "funny bone" to the hand along the backside of your forearm. If you have numbness of the whole hand you may have a nerve compression even higher up (at the elbow, shoulder, or neck). These nerve compressions are common, and can be caused by chronic muscle tension, repetitive motion or injury. Manual therapy can loosen the restricted areas, allowing the structure to revert back to an optimal configuration thereby taking pressure off of the nerve.

Raynaud's Syndrome causes cold hands and feet, and is a circulatory problem. I do not know if it could cause whole hand numbness.

That still does not address the other issue, true "carpal tunnel syndrome". You need a doctor for that. Find a nuerologist who is reputable, and don't go "under the knife" unless you absolutely have to...there are chiropractors who will manipulate and "re-set" your wrist bones. Keep trying and you will find something that works for you.

Good luck!

Peter
2002 K1200LTE (July 4, 2008)-"Dragonfly"
1984 Goldwing Aspencade-"The Mighty Pickle" (think of Arlo Guthrie)
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750-"Little Pickle" (sometimes "Gherkin")
1980 Honda 750 Four-utilitarian, classic
1978 Honda 450 Four-took it apart, couldn't put it back together...
1976 Suzuki GT 250-2 stroke screamer
post #32 of 33 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:34 am

Twist it ..... don't squeeze it...... you can do that later

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #33 of 33 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 1:18 pm

I too have had a real problem with hand cramping. I've tried the grip puppies, relaxed grip, cruise control, and lastly installing a throttle rocker, but noting worked as well for me as purchasing a set of gel palmed riding gloves. These gloves are real popular with mountain bikers. Here's the link. Good luck!

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/Mot...eGloveBuy.html

Quadrunner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in