Relocating Nav III on to shelf - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:59 pm Thread Starter

Relocating Nav III on to shelf

Hey all, I put this request on the GPS thread and got one reply but it just didn't seem like that would solve my problem. I have an '08 Lt and the Nav III was mounted on the stingray. I know some of y'all have moved them up to the BMR shelf, which is what I am trying to do. My problem is that the cabling doesn't quite reach that far. How did you resolve the short cabling? If there is a extension I could buy, that would be the way I would prefer to go cause I an not that proficient in soldering...especially with wires that tiny. The cable I have is the stock "short" cable that BMW installs for the stingray mount (See attached) I need it extended approximately 6". Can anyone suggest how I can accomplish that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav III Wire.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	26086  

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 8:15 am

Re: Relocating Nav III on to shelf

You're looking for something like this if not this.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Motorcy.../dp/B0000ESZV4

This is the one I got for the garmin 2820.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-street...and-cable.html

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
You're looking for something like this if not this.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Motorcy.../dp/B0000ESZV4

This is the one I got for the garmin 2820.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-street...and-cable.html
This is also what I was going to suggest. I believe these wires are designed to run to the battery or a power distribution block and then you are still able to pipe the audio into your radio via an aux input.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:32 pm

I don't think the above solutions will fully solve your problem if you intend to use the BMW Cradle (with the buttons) with your NAV III (unless you want to forgo the use of the button functionality). You will still need to extend the round connector.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #5 of 7 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

That's been my feeling all along. I have been concerned about plug & play functionality.

I have called about anyone that could possibly give me an answer and no one seems to have a positive answer. I am guessing that I am going to have to try cutting the wires and extending them and crossing my fingers that this will work.

I have been told by TVNav that BMW doesn't even make the cables that I presently have to hook-up the Nav III on the stingray any longer. So if it doesn't work I'll have to beg one from someone or go without.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #6 of 7 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker
That's been my feeling all along. I have been concerned about plug & play functionality.

I have called about anyone that could possibly give me an answer and no one seems to have a positive answer. I am guessing that I am going to have to try cutting the wires and extending them and crossing my fingers that this will work.

I have been told by TVNav that BMW doesn't even make the cables that I presently have to hook-up the Nav III on the stingray any longer. So if it doesn't work I'll have to beg one from someone or go without.
I'm not familiar with the unit or it's functions. I apologize. I thought the only integration was that of the sound..... However, I don't think you will have any trouble doing as you have described. I had a wiring harness burn up from the headlight to the taillight and every wire in between and I repaired and replaced every single wire on the bike by hand. Took my a whole day but everything now works, so it can be done. Especially off the bike, this should be easy.

Good luck.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #7 of 7 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker

Before cutting the OEM cable, maybe you could find compatible male and female molex plugs from a boneyard bike and/or an old unused NavII/NavIII wiring harness from any BMW (not just an LT) bike that the BMW Navigators could be installed and make your own extension cable(s). Only as a last resort would I consider cutting the original functional OEM cable. I'm not questioning your desire to move the GPS to a shelf but if you do there will be mounting holes to deal with in the stingray if the NavIII was previously mounted there.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in