Hydraulic center stand repair, I didn't realize it would be so easy! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Hydraulic center stand repair, I didn't realize it would be so easy!

My schedule and personal problems haven't allowed me to have any spare time for the last several months,

yesterday I took some time for myself and tackled my hydraulic center stand
which hasn't worked since I got stuck in a wet grass culvert a couple of months ago.

The first thing I did is read Ari's write up and the joegottberg write up.
After that it was time to get my hands dirty.

Probably the hardest part was securing the LT on my lift,
I just wasn't very comfortable with just a couple of straps holding "her" upright.

Once the wrenching began I couldn't believe how simple it was with all the "guidance" from the forum friends.

My problem turned out to be a stuck brush inside the motor (some gunk)

I went ahead and flushed the unit out, cleaned it up and put it back on and she works like new.

It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, except for replacing the center stand spring (ouch)

A big "thank you" to Ari and Joe as well as all of the other contributers.

Do any of y'all know where I can get some replacement brushes?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:35 am

Re: Hydraulic center stand repair, I didn't realize it would be so easy!

An electric motor repair shop should have brushes.. You do know what size you need don't you ?

That's the rub.. Next time it quits. Take it apart and then go to the motor shop with the old brushes and/or the motor... They should be able to fix you up.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
My problem turned out to be a stuck brush inside the motor (some gunk)

I went ahead and flushed the unit out, cleaned it up and put it back on and she works like new.

It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, except for replacing the center stand spring (ouch)

A big "thank you" to Ari and Joe as well as all of the other contributers.

Do any of y'all know where I can get some replacement brushes?
Hey Hans,

Glad to hear it went OK for you. Sounds like you didn't damage your shaft seals and didn't overfill. Great job.

I happen to have the same problem you are experiencing (worn brushes). I am looking at options. I thought the local guy that rebuilt starters/alternators could help, but, looks like that work is no longer performed "locally".

I am actually looking to buy a replacement 12 VDC motor and see if I can go that route. I have some old brushes (from a scrap car started motor) that I was going to "rig", but, thought better of it.

My research is still on going, I rarely use the center stand, since I need it for maintenance and I'm worried how many cycles are left in it.

Someone else may have got lucky, but, if not, I'll let you know if I have success. A motor has got to be cheaper than the entire unit!

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Hi Hans,

nice to hear you had use for Joe's and my pics.

I have actually fiddled with thses DC-motor brushes with my garage door opener. I learned that if you don't find the correct size from your local electric motor shop you can easily use a fine file and make an oversized brush to fit in the holder. So don't try to find the exact fit, because that can be hard. You can surely find brushes that are larger (and the wire length is correct) you can resize them very easily.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #5 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Many corded drills and woodworking tools (routers, circular saws etc) have brushes. Look for a local Black and Decker shop or one of those old school hardware stores that carry corded power tools.

Very likely you can match the size and length of the brushes from the kick stand to something similar from a circular saw.

good luck

'00 Blue K1200LT
'02 XR650L (sold)

Todd
Minnesota

post #6 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 7:57 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
Hey Hans,

Glad to hear it went OK for you. Sounds like you didn't damage your shaft seals and didn't overfill. Great job.

I happen to have the same problem you are experiencing (worn brushes). I am looking at options. I thought the local guy that rebuilt starters/alternators could help, but, looks like that work is no longer performed "locally".

I am actually looking to buy a replacement 12 VDC motor and see if I can go that route. I have some old brushes (from a scrap car started motor) that I was going to "rig", but, thought better of it.

My research is still on going, I rarely use the center stand, since I need it for maintenance and I'm worried how many cycles are left in it.

Someone else may have got lucky, but, if not, I'll let you know if I have success. A motor has got to be cheaper than the entire unit!

Joe
Joe call Phil Camp owner of Phil's Starter & Alternator at 704-435-2934 his shop is in Cherryville NC. Tell him it's for a BMW bike & Dave from Penske Engines recommended him. If he can't help you he will know who can.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Joe call Phil Camp owner of Phil's Starter & Alternator at 704-435-2934 his shop is in Cherryville NC. Tell him it's for a BMW bike & Dave from Penske Engines recommended him. If he can't help you he will know who can.
Thanks Dave,

If I can get the whole motor (if it's reasonable $), then everything is new and no worries. I'm not confident I'll get lucky enough.

I'll give him a holler and see what he thinks. Maybe I'll just swing by and show him what I got.

2-B-Continued

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:20 am

A "semi" hijack......Since everyone in the thread is familiar with the Power Center stand, and I am sorta considering a new K1200LT, I'm curious if it is possible to remove the power center stand and replace it with the old mechanical one?

I hardly ever use the center stand and am not interested in the extra weight, hydraulics and motor. If it is an easy conversion, I'd be happy to do a trade if my plans for the new bike occur.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
A "semi" hijack......Since everyone in the thread is familiar with the Power Center stand, and I am sorta considering a new K1200LT, I'm curious if it is possible to remove the power center stand and replace it with the old mechanical one?

I hardly ever use the center stand and am not interested in the extra weight, hydraulics and motor. If it is an easy conversion, I'd be happy to do a trade if my plans for the new bike occur.
Hey Dan,

I know there have been a few who have converted the older "non-hydraulic" center stand to the post 05 center stand. Bolt on retrofit. There is no reason to think it can't go the other way. I've even thought to go back since when the unit is busted, you can only use the side stand and for maintenance you need the center stand.

If you do go for the new bike, I'd love to talk about getting your hydraulic one.

You will have the "un-used" button for actuating the stand if you swap back, but, shouldn't cause any problems.

If you use the "cheater handle" to get the bike on it's center stand now, that will also have to be added.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Last edited by joegottberg; Jan 29th, 2010 at 11:40 am. Reason: Additional information
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Hey Dan,

I know there have been a few who have converted the older "non-hydraulic" center stand to the post 05 center stand. Bolt on retrofit. There is no reason to think it can't go the other way. I've even thought to go back since when the unit is busted, you can only use the side stand and for maintenance you need the center stand.

If you do go for the new bike, I'd love to talk about getting your hydraulic one.

You will have the "un-used" button for actuating the stand if you swap back, but, shouldn't cause any problems.

If you use the "cheater handle" to get the bike on it's center stand now, that will also have to be added.

Joe

I'll let you know if I trade up. ...... Some people have said to use the handle on the left rear storage compartment to lift up the bike on the pre 05 center stand. Seems a little too weak, but if others have done it, it might be stronger than it looks.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 1:38 pm

Quote:
Hey Hans,

Joe
Joe, here's another location you could check out if you go the repair route. THE MOTOR SHOP in Gastonia 704-867-8488. Took the motor to them about 5 month ago they were able to repair, works like new every since. Lot better that buying new. I know they replaced brushes and and something else inside (can't remember what that was)
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I'll let you know if I trade up. ...... Some people have said to use the handle on the left rear storage compartment to lift up the bike on the pre 05 center stand. Seems a little too weak, but if others have done it, it might be stronger than it looks.
Well I know "for a fact" you can use it to help right a sleeping LT!

I know on my other bikes that the manual stand is an acquired technique, you don't need to muscle it.

Thanks,

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

post #13 of 13 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Hey Dan'o
Before you seal the deal on the hydraulic center stand swap,
I highly recommend you "give it a try" first!
The weight difference is insignificant and once you get used to
"the button" it will bring a smile to your face every time you use it.
Worth having even if you do have to fix it every 4-5 years!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in