Anyone have info for K1200LT windscreen fungal problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

Anyone have info for K1200LT windscreen fungal problem

I bought a 2006 LT in October 2009 and used it up to the start of December with no noticeable problems. Over the Christmas period I had the bike parked up out side with a good cover on it. The weather here in Ireland over the Christmas was horrific. Last week I took the cover off the bike and noticed a rash type fungals on the outside and inside of the windscreen, this seem to disappear later on in the day as the bike/temperature rose... Has anybody any observations/solutions?
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT windscreen fungal problem

Stuff grows on warm moist surfaces.. But the sun kills it quickly.

Give the windshield a good wash with denatured alcohol.
Not rubbing acolhol. The good stuff you get at the hardware store.
That'll clean and clear it right up.
Good for the readout on the radio as well..

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 9:46 pm

The radio readout on the 06 is on the instrument cluster... no need for alcohol there.

As for the "windshield funk" .... some do that. Meticulous cleaning and frequent removal of bug carcass can help.... including the alcohol solution mentioned.

Also, rinsing down with Hydrogen Peroxide can have a better effect.. at least on Texas bugz.

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
The radio readout on the 06 is on the instrument cluster... no need for alcohol there.

As for the "windshield funk" .... some do that. Meticulous cleaning and frequent removal of bug carcass can help.... including the alcohol solution mentioned.

Also, rinsing down with Hydrogen Peroxide can have a better effect.. at least on Texas bugz.
Holy spores, Batman - the fungus is among us!
How about some Desenex? - also great for crotch rot...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagnecharlie
I bought a 2006 LT in October 2009 and used it up to the start of December with no noticeable problems. Over the Christmas period I had the bike parked up out side with a good cover on it. The weather here in Ireland over the Christmas was horrific. Last week I took the cover off the bike and noticed a rash type fungals on the outside and inside of the windscreen, this seem to disappear later on in the day as the bike/temperature rose... Has anybody any observations/solutions?
Dan
Most likely moisture trapped between the polycarbonate and silicone coating.

About the only real solution is a new windshield made from Acrylic - which does not have the coating.

Personally, for safety reasons, I would NEVER mount an acrylic windshield on ANY of my bikes. Not a chance.

You may have better luck with the V-stream vs. OEM. To my knowledge it is the only other polycarbonate available for the LT - and they claim to have a better coating. I've been very happy with mine.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 8:48 am

If the fungus is between the polycarbonate and the silicone coating you might try removing the silicone layer should the alcohol solution not be entirely effective. I removed the coating using duct tape. The specific brand was Gorilla tape. This stuff is INCREDIBLY sticky. I covered the inside of the windshield with the tape and smoothed it on really well with my hands then put it in a nice warm place overnight. The next morning I peeled the tape off and voila. No more coating on the posterior aspect of the windshield. No more fogging up either!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
If the fungus is between the polycarbonate and the silicone coating you might try removing the silicone layer should the alcohol solution not be entirely effective. I removed the coating using duct tape. The specific brand was Gorilla tape. This stuff is INCREDIBLY sticky. I covered the inside of the windshield with the tape and smoothed it on really well with my hands then put it in a nice warm place overnight. The next morning I peeled the tape off and voila. No more coating on the posterior aspect of the windshield. No more fogging up either!
VERY clever - I need to put that one in my book of tricks!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

I think Ron put his finger on the problem. I have been speaking with the manager of my local BMW workshop and I am hoping he can make a case for under warranty, he is a good lad.
Failing this I may have to purchase or go the- wa1200lt route.
Thanks
Dan
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagnecharlie
Dan
A solution of a SHACKLEE product called BASIC-G shoud cure the problem. It is an all natural anti fungal. I have used it on old antique dresser drawers wher humidity has created a mildue problem. I just sprayed them down and let them dry. I would think wiping your shield with a cloth damp with the solution wold fix you right up.
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswisher
A solution of a SHACKLEE product called BASIC-G shoud cure the problem. It is an all natural anti fungal. I have used it on old antique dresser drawers wher humidity has created a mildue problem. I just sprayed them down and let them dry. I would think wiping your shield with a cloth damp with the solution wold fix you right up.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jan 28th, 2010 at 8:27 pm.
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

Wow.. I am proud of you, Ron!!!
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 1:32 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
How about some Desenex? - also great for crotch rot...

Wayyy too much information. I DO NOT want to know how you know... Jus say'in, for future reference...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Wayyy too much information. I DO NOT want to know how you know... Jus say'in, for future reference...
Hoss, you can't IMAGINE what we talk about around here when it comes to the - ahem - nether regions.

Let's just say that D-Con, yes the rat poison that is also effective against Gerbils (as opposed to Deacon ) has been bandied about.

Trust me, It gets even weirder...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 7:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Wow.. I am proud of you, Ron!!!
Why, thank you Thor!

When it comes to furniture conditioning products I wood never normally bring it to the table.So I Pledge to turn over a new leaf - since I don't have a leg to stand on.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 6:48 am

[QUOTE=RonKMiller]Hoss, you can't IMAGINE what we talk about around here when it comes to the - ahem - nether regions. .........
/QUOTE]

And......... speaking of nether regions have any of you had the opportunity to see the BBC America show called Top Gear? There is an absolutely priceless episode where "the boys" buy three motor bikes in South Vietnam and ride them to North Vietnam. One bike is a scooter, one is a Soviet made 125cc off road bike and the third bike is a Honda 50 Super Cub. At one point two of the guys are working on one of the bikes which falls over carrying one of the boys head first into the "nether region" of one of the other guys. The guy who had his crotch invaded by the other guy says, absolutely deadpan, you just planted your face into my gentlemans region.

Try to find the episode online if you haven't seen it yet. It is priceless! Very entertaining!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in