Rear Drive Survey Results - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:48 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Rear Drive Survey Results

Thanks to Mike Kiesel, all of the rear drive survey data from the old site is now in the new Survey System.

Many of the results are in graphical format (i.e., model year and mileage at time of failure), so feel free view the results here.

If you have suffered from a rear drive failure, and you hadn't already entered your data in the survey at the old site, please feel free to fill out a new rear drive survey here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	103  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 30th, 2007, 2:02 pm

walking dude

I recently bought a well maintained 2002 BMW k1200 LT. From the results of this survey, I notice that this year had a fairly high rate of failure. I recently mentioned this to the dealer where I purchased the bike and they told me that if it had been maintained and the rear drive serviced at the specified intravals I should not worry. The bike has 20,000 miles on it. I am considering draining the rear-end oil and checking for metal flakes. Any suggestions on what oil I should use to refill and if I should change the bearing?

Walkingdude
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 30th, 2007, 2:30 pm

Change the oil regularly. Look for metal particles on the drain magnet.

Some black sludge on the magnet is normal. Anything more than that is not.

Here's the deal with the rear drives. It's either gonna fail or it's not....You have no way of knowing which catagory you'll fall in to .

Some say it's the oil, Some say it's because of trailering. Some say it's because of the way you ride. Who knows for sure. If you're not seeing any metal on the magnet and you can't get any "wiggle" out of the rear wheel. You're fine. Just ride it and don't worry about it.

Having said all that. I have a spare drive...Well, I used to till I loaned it to one of our members who broke down, But I'll soon have my replacement in hand and be back in the no fail catagory.. I figure as long as I'm holding a spare drive, Mine will never fail..

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 4th, 2007, 4:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Complaint filed now

I filed with NTSB but there is no K1200LT to select. There are GT, R and etc. but no LT. I put mine under the R.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 4th, 2007, 4:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

FYI - Just a brain thing, I did go to the correct site, not NTSB(whatever that is).

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 4th, 2007, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

NHTSA site

I submitted my info only to find they don't have BMW listed for motorcycles. My complaint number was: 10210816

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:20 pm

So let me understand this,,,,,

There were 126 reported FD failures on this site...63.50% of them were within warranty mileage,,,,, Thats 80 units out of how many thousand over the course of 9 years.......... Hmmmmm??

All the threads and all the bandwidth used for this???? Compare this to how many Honda frame cracks,,,,, How many Pinto's had faulty gas tanks,,,, How many horses threw shoes while on the trail,,,,

I'm just glad that the net is entertainment,,, and I get my valid info from the local BMW dealers about what breaks .............Pete
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:20 am

Something else I just got from this survey,

If your bike has 50K or more and the drive hasn't failed yet, It's probably not going to ...The numbers really start getting small after 55K miles.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:24 am

Geeze!

It ain't summer time--way too early to start a new final drive argument; cause, if you start this fight now, then an oil tread will pop up; then a tire thread; then an oil filter; then a thread about broken trunk latch handle. It normally takes all summer for those threads to calm down, and finally die off during the winter, when all the wooses stop riding. :-)
Merry Christmas from Tucson
Bob
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:24 pm

OK, I'll bite... What oil filter brand should I use on the final drive? Can I strap the Purolator to the ABS pickup?

What is the best brand of tire to tie on the top rack in order to prevent broken latch handles?

Happy New Year!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 4:53 am

I was going to add my bike to this survey, but there wasn't a spot for "original drive has NOT failed yet"

I think if you had a spot for that, it would help out a lot with the people that think this is such a huge problem statistically

I was starting to be a little concerned about this final drive thing, but as is the case with so many problems, you only seem to hear about the ones that fail

Iíve mentioned before that my 2000 K12LTC now has more than 102,000 miles on it (165,000km) on it and itís still running just great with the original final drive

The only thing thatís been done to the final drive since it was new was to have the fluid changed every 24,000 miles by the original owner Ö it went in for new front and rear shocks at 75,000 and the PO had the dealer inspect the entire bike and was told that the final drive was just fine and didnít need anything beyond the regular oil changes it had always had

Some people have told me that I'm in the minority while others have told me that they have had perfect performance from their final drive and that the failures are the minority Ö I think that this FD problem is in the spotlight because the people that have a failure come right out and talk about it, but the people with bikes that havenít had any FD problems keep it to themselves because there isnít anything to talk about and everything is working as it should

In truth, I donít believe the LTís donít have a high percentage of final drive failures than any other bike, but I would say that if you do own a LT and something is going to go wrong, it is likely to be the final drive Ė does that make sense?

Your poll was a huge success as far as I'm concerned Ö the turnout was great for this type of forum and itís a topic that a lot of owners (and even potential owners) are genuinely interested in

Youíve done a great job with the data that was collected, and it was done very scientifically ... but if you could add in the bike and owner data for the K12LTís that have original, fully functional final drives it would create a whole new view of this problem and then this forum could finally come up with our own ď4%Ē or whatever it turns out to be

It would also be interesting to compare things like build dates and VIN numbers to see if thereís any correlation between times of manufacture and final drive failure Ö for example, I was looking through the results of the FD failures and I found several bikes with VINís very close to mine Ö in fact, thereís a 2000LT from this forum that was built just 12 bikes after mine and a few others that were within 50 bikes of mine Ö I would be interested to see if there were streaks of VINís that turned out worse than others

One more thing Ö do these final drive units have their own unique serial numbers or VIN on them? Ö whoís to say that a particular final drive unit that was built in November 2001 didnít end up sitting in the factory until May 2002 when it was installed in an í02 LT right along side of the other FD units that were just assembled the week before

If this is done as a more exhaustive study with information on good and failed final drives, we might see some pattern that has gone previously unknown Ö we might be able to narrow down the FD failures to something weird like a certain day or a certain shift if that information can be retrieved from the VINís Ö itís possible that we may find out something from this data that even BMW doesnít yet know (or admit to )

I was going to just make the new poll about this, but this is really your deal and youíve done all the real work, so Iíll leave this up to you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in