Clutch lever & pull - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 7:22 am Thread Starter
SEG

Clutch lever & pull

Is there an aftermarket clutch lever available with a micro-adjustment capability for my '09 LT? Also is there a way to increase the ease of pulling in the clutch? An injury has made what was earlier an easy pull on the clutch, very difficult and painful. I've tried a few variations of using just a few fingers and pulling near the base of the clutch lever, but that has not helped. Perhaps surgery will correct the injury, I don't mind that if it becomes necessary, however, riding the LT less is not an option. I'd greatly appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 7:35 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Clutch lever & pull

Can not help you with a different lever but, since the clutch is "Hydraulic" there is no way to change the amount of force needed to pull it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG
Is there an aftermarket clutch lever available with a micro-adjustment capability for my '09 LT? Also is there a way to increase the ease of pulling in the clutch? An injury has made what was earlier an easy pull on the clutch, very difficult and painful. I've tried a few variations of using just a few fingers and pulling near the base of the clutch lever, but that has not helped. Perhaps surgery will correct the injury, I don't mind that if it becomes necessary, however, riding the LT less is not an option. I'd greatly appreciate suggestions. Thanks.
Two 'minor' adjustments you could try are:

Using the leverage principle, applying squeeze at the outer end of the lever should make it easier than pulling on the lever up close to the base.

Try turning the adjustment wheel on the grip to the various settings - position 1 adjusts the lever closest to the grip, while 4 sets it at the max distance from the grip. I would think (morning coffee still brewing!!) the longer lever pullpoint, coupled with the minimum pull distance, *might* help. Gotta be a reason they manufactured that adjustment in, other than just to account for different hand sizes?? Good luck finding an easy remedy.

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:44 am

I think Dick's suggestions are your best bet.

If your surgery doesn't correct your grip, there may be some other mods you could do to increase the mechanical advantage of the lever. Maybe a change in pivot point, etc. There may be a way to increase the slave diameter or similar. All will be experimental and probably be "special".

Of course, a "Cheater" on the end of your clutch lever would help, but, probably look bad.

Let us know how you end up, there are probably others that would prefer an easier pull.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in