Can I use a regular trikle charger on my battery? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Can I use a regular trikle charger on my battery?

I have a standard (not gel) BMW battery and am wondering if my Battery Tender trickle charger will kill the battery? Also what volt setting to do a slow charge?

Any help is always greatly appreciated!

1999 BMW LT
2006 Yamaha FZ1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Re: Can I use a regular trikle charger on my battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBoyLT
I have a standard (not gel) BMW battery and am wondering if my Battery Tender trickle charger will kill the battery? Also what volt setting to do a slow charge?

A regular trickle charge will work just fine.....I wouldn't go much over 2 amperes for fear of boiling over the battery but you should be OK.................just my $ .02............maybe someone else has a different opinion, but I think your safe..................
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Can't remember if my BT Plus has an option to set the charge... usually you just plug it in and you are good to go so long as you read the light setting properly.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 5:40 pm

My guess (not knowing exactly what you have) is you are ok. If its a smart charger with a maintenance mode your lead/acid battery will be just fine. If you have doubt you could just unplug it during the week and plug it in on the weekends.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Walmart has a nice charger, Schumacher SC-600A. $29.95.
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Quote:

I have two Battery Tender Plus units. They are plug and forget units which can be left on all the time if you desire. One is on the K1200LT while I'm not riding this winter(it has an AGM battery from Batteries Plus) and the second unit is on a Z4 in storage with the original auto battery from BMW. Both vehicles have been maintained like this in the winter with zero problems. I'm coming up on the 5th winter on both vehicles vwith storage in December and returning to service in March.

It sucks to be in the Montana snows but I have no worries in the spring.

Try it, you'll like it.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 6:33 pm

I have been using the Black and Decker battery tender I got at Walmart 2 years ago for $19.95. No problems so far
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 9:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The battery is 12 volts. The settings you have on the charger are likely for amperage unless it says 6 and 12. A true "float charger" turns off and on as needed and will not damage the battery. The exception to this is if you use a lead acid deep cycle voltage on a gel battery. The gel batteries cannot tolerate the voltages in the upper 14 volt range and need to be regulated around 14.0 give or take a couple of tenths. For what it's worth, the voltage regulator on my LT cuts out at 13.7 to 13.8. Hook it up and see where it floats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:03 am

BMW will tell you that you need a BMW "ADVANCED" charger...
I find it hard to believe that there aren't others that are equivalent though I am sure there are MANY that are not.
Depending on how old your battery is you may just want to get a new sealed AGM battery which I believe to be less sensitive and last nearly or just as long and cost about half the gel price.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 1:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
BMW will tell you that you need a BMW "ADVANCED" charger...
I find it hard to believe that there aren't others that are equivalent though I am sure there are MANY that are not.
Depending on how old your battery is you may just want to get a new sealed AGM battery which I believe to be less sensitive and last nearly or just as long and cost about half the gel price.
Jason,

You are so right. I have a 6 year old AGM battery which is still going strong. It's great technology, vibration resistant, can be installed upside down if need be, holds a charge longer with less discharge over time, etc. I wouldn't buy anything else.
B
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:02 am

Quote:

A barebones trickle charger can be used to "tend" a lead acid battery by plugging it into one of those timers that are used to turn house lights on and off.

I use a el-cheapo trickle charger as a tender by having it come on for less than an hour every day. It's been working for years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in