Load Shed Relay Help please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:24 am Thread Starter
Sit

Load Shed Relay Help please

Okay, so first off, I have the worlds greatest wife. Sorry fella's, she's all mine.

For my birthday over the weekend, she got me an 05 LT! I now have the best of both worlds, a GS and LT. No matter what the situation, I can manage a bike for it, for the most part.

Well, unfortunately, my first ride on the LT, was taking it home from the restaurant where she gave it to me. It was a dark and stormy night, literally, just not the best for a first ride on a new bike, a model you have never ridden before. Made it home just fine and managed to play with most of the farkles along the way. The only issue I had was the freakin headlight was cutting in and out. As was my taillights and other lights it seemed.

So once home, a check of the fuses and connections and all looks ok. A quick check here on the forum and I stumble across the load shed relay thing and what it does. Sounds exactly what I have going on to a T. Only issue is, WHERE IS IT?

I have the battery out and looking forward of the battery box towards the front of the bike, I see really only one bolt and it seems bigger than the 5mm talked about. I can see the main ground on the frame, it is an allen head. I can see a little wire thing going to the starter, small blue wire and a bolt behind it and a bit lower. Is that it? Or is it farther up inside? I looked at the one diagram I could find, but it is all greek to me as this is my first K bike. I can find my way around a boxer a bit, but the GS does not have all the tupperware in the way!

What I thought is the starter may be the back of the alternator. It is black plastic with cooling slits in it, looks like the alternator most likely. Where do I look from here?

Any help on finding this mystery load shed thingy would be greatly appreaciated. I want to ride my new bike!!

Last edited by Sit; Jan 26th, 2010 at 1:04 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Load Shed Relay Help please

Most likley it's that hex bolt.

Did you see this thread?

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47988

02 LT
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 3:21 pm

yeah.. but where IS the "load shedding" relay?

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Sit

Yes, I did see that thread and several others. I know it is a bolt on the starter, but looking from the battery area to the front of the bike, I don't see what bolt it is, Heck, don't even know what I am looking at when looking!

I have learned that the bike had a new clutch and seals put in before being sold, so that fits the picture even better. Eventually the bike will go back to the dealer to be checked out due to this little issue, but in the mean time, I would like to fix it. Need to know about the bike at some point any way. It would go back this weekend, but the techs at the dealership are gone to training..
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 7:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Yes, I did see that thread and several others. I know it is a bolt on the starter, but looking from the battery area to the front of the bike, I don't see what bolt it is, Heck, don't even know what I am looking at when looking!

I have learned that the bike had a new clutch and seals put in before being sold, so that fits the picture even better. Eventually the bike will go back to the dealer to be checked out due to this little issue, but in the mean time, I would like to fix it. Need to know about the bike at some point any way. It would go back this weekend, but the techs at the dealership are gone to training..
Looking at the post from john on the post cited above, I think this is what you are looking for...Follow yout black ground from aft of the battery to the front (I know mixing terms on ya) it will split off to a light.dark brown color. one goes to the engine and the other to the starter.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 7:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Nope that is not it. I don't have a good picture here at the house. It is on the transmission, just forward and outboard of the battery on the left side. It secures the starter to the top of the transmission. There is no wire on it as it is the item that grounds the starter. Each end of the starter has a rubber o-ring and that is all there is with out this little bolt toensure a good low resistance ground.

Let me see if I can find a good picture.
OK the starter is #4 and if you follow the line back you will see the 5 mm allen bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KLT_23006c.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	26073  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Nope that is not it. I don't have a good picture here at the house. It is on the transmission, just forward and outboard of the battery on the left side. It secures the starter to the top of the transmission. There is no wire on it as it is the item that grounds the starter. Each end of the starter has a rubber o-ring and that is all there is with out this little bolt toensure a good low resistance ground.

Let me see if I can find a good picture.
OK the starter is #4 and if you follow the line back you will see the 5 mm allen bolt.
To quote a famous American Icon.....Now you (I) know the rest of the story!

That said, I know which one you are speaking about now.(I think???) I do not have a picture, but found this... You are speaking about the bolt that you see here..Just left of the spline shaft to the GB. Am I getting warm? If not, I am shutting up and will let the expert take care of the OP...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; Jan 26th, 2010 at 8:18 pm.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 9:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You win the prize!!!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 10:22 pm Thread Starter
Sit

Well...................After reading the above posts, looking at the pictures, re-reading the other threads, standing on my head and pearing deep into the bike innerds, I am fairly confident I DO NOT have that bolt! Hence the problem.

So, I guess I will have to wait for the shop owner to come back to town and take up the issue with him and set a time for the bike to go back to the shop to get a bolt put in. Of course that won't be able to happen until next Friday! Arrgh. Two weeks with a "new" bike I can't ride. This must be some kind of cruel joke or pay back for something I did when I was younger.
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Garage

No worries...I'll send you one, snail mail. Should arrive next Friday....

If you really want to "see" it take off the left foot peg plate and you should be able to get your hand up there to "feel her up"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Well...................After reading the above posts, looking at the pictures, re-reading the other threads, standing on my head and pearing deep into the bike innerds, I am fairly confident I DO NOT have that bolt! Hence the problem.

So, I guess I will have to wait for the shop owner to come back to town and take up the issue with him and set a time for the bike to go back to the shop to get a bolt put in. Of course that won't be able to happen until next Friday! Arrgh. Two weeks with a "new" bike I can't ride. This must be some kind of cruel joke or pay back for something I did when I was younger.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 11:05 pm

By the way, to answer the initial question of the OP and of cfell: the load shed relay is in the electrical control box under the fuel tank. At least it is in the '00 and '01 vintage - should be there for the '05 as well.

Be glad you did not have to get there - it is not a quick job.

Congratulations on having the right mix of bikes in your garage! I should know...

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in