Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 1:07 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Exclamation Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

I have a 2007 K1200LT. The speedometer began working intermittently last summer. The first time was when I was riding in heavy rain. It would often work when I first started riding and then fail. Soon it worked even less and now not at all. Of course this happened after the warranty expired! When the problem first began I had luck by jiggling the lead to the speedsensor on the front wheel which I then replaced. This did not fix the problem and was most likely a coincidence. I feel this is probably due to water damage while riding in the rainstorm. I also had a problem with the radio not working after washing the bike, but it would work just after. Has anyone had the same problem and know of a solution? Thanks, any info would help!
LTRiderAZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 10:04 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
deanwoolsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topeka, KS, USA
Posts: 3,105
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

You may have leakage into a connector or the instrument cluster itself. If you have ever seen condensation on the inside of the radio display or instrument housing then it's leaking somewhere. If there's no visible condensation and you're comfortable doing so, pull the tupperware and re-grease the connectors. The culprit should have some obvious corrosion in it. Make sure you use di-electric grease for the connections.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deanwoolsey is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 6:49 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,888
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Isn't the speed sensor in the FD. I think the front sensor is for the ABS.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ, USA
Posts: 978
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Isn't the speed sensor in the FD....
No, the newer bikes share ABS and speed sensor - I am not sure if it is the front or the rear one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRiderAZ
...The speedometer began working intermittently last summer. ...
Are you also having problems with the odometer? if the odometer runs, the issue may be in the instrument cluster.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdwalker is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 9:40 pm
Senior Member
 
fwkraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montgomery, TX, USA
Posts: 203
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

I have an 07 also. No speedo problems to date, but have noticed the speakers don't work after washing or running in moderate rain. Just coming up on the 36K warranty expiration and have started considering an extended warranty, but know I need to learn to do more myself.

Other issues with mine have been low fuel sensor, which came on about 5 miles before you need to push. Not good, since adjusted, but now the low fuel sensor comes on with almost 2 gal. Also noticing recently that the hydraulic centerstand is making a wired noise intermittently and a very slow rear seal or pinion shaft seal leak. I have these issues on record and will see what happens. That said I still love the bike.
fwkraft is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 1:18 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
You may have leakage into a connector or the instrument cluster itself. If you have ever seen condensation on the inside of the radio display or instrument housing then it's leaking somewhere. If there's no visible condensation and you're comfortable doing so, pull the tupperware and re-grease the connectors. The culprit should have some obvious corrosion in it. Make sure you use di-electric grease for the connections.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I have decided to do. I have seen condensation and knew I had to seal everything up anyway. Thanks for the advice. Tim
LTRiderAZ is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 1:20 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Isn't the speed sensor in the FD. I think the front sensor is for the ABS.
According to the gents at the dealership it is also for the speedometer for my year of LT.
LTRiderAZ is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 1:24 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
No, the newer bikes share ABS and speed sensor - I am not sure if it is the front or the rear one.

Are you also having problems with the odometer? if the odometer runs, the issue may be in the instrument cluster.
The odometer, self cancelling turnsignals, cruise control, and automatic volume control all do not work. The speedo needle does peg all of the way and back when I turn on the ignition, which tells me there is probably nothing wrong with the gauge itself.
LTRiderAZ is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 1:28 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwkraft
I have an 07 also. No speedo problems to date, but have noticed the speakers don't work after washing or running in moderate rain. Just coming up on the 36K warranty expiration and have started considering an extended warranty, but know I need to learn to do more myself.

Other issues with mine have been low fuel sensor, which came on about 5 miles before you need to push. Not good, since adjusted, but now the low fuel sensor comes on with almost 2 gal. Also noticing recently that the hydraulic centerstand is making a wired noise intermittently and a very slow rear seal or pinion shaft seal leak. I have these issues on record and will see what happens. That said I still love the bike.
I had to push my bike just this last Sunday due to lack of warning from the low fuel sensor. Had maybe 2 miles of fuel left. Of course if I was paying attention to my gauge........?
LTRiderAZ is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:34 am
Senior Member
 
bikesnumbnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Telford, Shropshire, England
Posts: 351
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRiderAZ
The odometer, self cancelling turnsignals, cruise control, and automatic volume control all do not work. The speedo needle does peg all of the way and back when I turn on the ignition, which tells me there is probably nothing wrong with the gauge itself.
Check your fuses as i had that problem .
regards numbnuts
05 in blighty
bikesnumbnuts is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
deanwoolsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topeka, KS, USA
Posts: 3,105
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Also, if the odometer is working and the speedometer is not, the issue can still be in the gauge itself. While they run from the same input, they are separate functions. It's kind of like speaker balance and/or fade control. You can lose 1, 2, or all 4 speakers and you can lose odometer, speedometer, or both. My guess is that if the odometer is still running and the speedometer quits it may be time for a new gauge, but I'm far from being an expert. Condensation inside the glass is a significant red flag, though. If it's on the glass, it's on the pc board at the same time and causing corrosion which puts the board on borrowed time.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deanwoolsey is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 4:33 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
Check your fuses as i had that problem .
regards numbnuts
05 in blighty
Thanks, but that was the first thing I did

Tim Bosley, Winslow, AZ
LTRiderAZ is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Also, if the odometer is working and the speedometer is not, the issue can still be in the gauge itself. While they run from the same input, they are separate functions. It's kind of like speaker balance and/or fade control. You can lose 1, 2, or all 4 speakers and you can lose odometer, speedometer, or both. My guess is that if the odometer is still running and the speedometer quits it may be time for a new gauge, but I'm far from being an expert. Condensation inside the glass is a significant red flag, though. If it's on the glass, it's on the pc board at the same time and causing corrosion which puts the board on borrowed time.
Thanks, but like I said, the odometer is not working

Tim Bosley, Winslow, AZ
LTRiderAZ is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 7:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,269
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

OK, the ABS sensors feed the ABS unit which generate two signals, TA and TAS. These are fed to the instrument cluster for speedo and odometer. The cluster then generates a RON signal that feeds the radio (speed volume) and the TA signal is fed from the cluster to the turn signal controller. The cruise control is fed a TAA or TAO signal from the cluster. So you either are missing the signal from the ABS unit or most likely the connectors are loose on the back of the instrument cluster.

There are two big connectors on the back of the instrument cluster so I would check those first, may have to go in from behind the wind screen.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 1:09 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
OK, the ABS sensors feed the ABS unit which generate two signals, TA and TAS. These are fed to the instrument cluster for speedo and odometer. The cluster then generates a RON signal that feeds the radio (speed volume) and the TA signal is fed from the cluster to the turn signal controller. The cruise control is fed a TAA or TAO signal from the cluster. So you either are missing the signal from the ABS unit or most likely the connectors are loose on the back of the instrument cluster.

There are two big connectors on the back of the instrument cluster so I would check those first, may have to go in from behind the wind screen.
Very helpful, thanks!

Tim Bosley, Winslow, AZ
LTRiderAZ is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 3:11 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tuscumbia, alabama, USA
Posts: 83
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

I've got a friend thats having the same problems with his R1200CLC. It has the same cruise control system as the our bikes. If after checking all the connectiong and finding no problems, Is there a way to check for the proper signals from the abs unit? Or will the dealer have to do that?
bamarider is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:43 am
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tuscumbia, alabama, USA
Posts: 83
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Tim
When you find out your problems with your speedometer please post your findings, like I said in an earlier post my friend is having the same problems with his bike and would like to know what problems you found.
Thanks
Jeff
bamarider is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 8:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,269
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Jeff,


I have no info on what the signals actually are, just the signal names from the diagrams. I would assume they are some sort of pulse train that could be checked with an O-scope, but I haven't tried that. It is usually a loose connection or a tight cable tie on a harness cutting into the wire that causes intermittent problems like this. The most famous is the early LT speed sensor wire up on the brake line where a tight cable tie has acually cut the wires. Hope Tim finds the soultion.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 4:41 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider
Tim
When you find out your problems with your speedometer please post your findings, like I said in an earlier post my friend is having the same problems with his bike and would like to know what problems you found.
Thanks
Jeff
No problem. I haven't had the time to break it down in my garage yet, but will let you know as soon as I find the problem.

Tim Bosley, Winslow, AZ
LTRiderAZ is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 6:45 am
Senior Member
 
dshealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,165
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Jeff,


==================================== The most famous is the early LT speed sensor wire up on the brake line where a tight cable tie has acually cut the wires. Hope Tim finds the soultion.
It was not the cable tie itself that was the problem, but where it was used. It is around the flared metal sleeve of the fitting at the front end of the rear rubber brake line, which also happens to be very near the pivot point of the swing arm. As the swing arm moves up and down, the sharp edge of the flared metal slowly saws through the wire. Fortunately, well known and easily fixed problem for '99 through '01 LT's.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
dshealey is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 11:54 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winslow, AZ, USA
Posts: 13
Re: Anyone have info for K1200LT Speedometer problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider
Tim
When you find out your problems with your speedometer please post your findings, like I said in an earlier post my friend is having the same problems with his bike and would like to know what problems you found.
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff, So far all I've had time for is removing the windscreen and the plastic piece under it. On first inspection I can not see anything obvious. I regreased the two main connectors from the instrument cluster and the connectors from the speed sensor with no results. It's a pretty tight squeeze and takes time to get to all of the connectors. Anyone know if I should pull any more plastic? Looks like a lot of work and not sure it will be worth the time. Sorry I have no answers yet, but will keep you posted. Thanks, Tim

Tim Bosley, Winslow, AZ
LTRiderAZ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
speedometer error BLB K1200LT 17 Apr 14th, 2016 2:22 am
Speedometer Issue Beamer007 K1200LT 3 Aug 17th, 2009 3:57 pm
2006 K1200LT Problems! Need Advice!! Cchild6898 K1200LT 41 Jul 11th, 2006 12:47 pm
Autocom noise problems DaveNH Intercom, CB, & 2-Way Radios 9 Mar 14th, 2006 8:11 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome